RSM 130D vs. Oceanic 29g HQI

JimmyJ

Hello all,
It's been sometime since my last saltwater tank and I really miss having one setup in the house to enjoy. Wall space in my house comes at a premium so I am forced to got the nanoreef path, which I am actually pretty excited to start. My question to you is what would you perfer to run for your nanoreef, the Red Sea Max 130D or the Oceanic 29g HQI?

I have been doing research online and found more info on the RSM 130D over the Oceanic HQI although wanted to put it out to those that have been in the hobby to help my make my decision. I should also mention that I don't plan on having any hard coral.

Thanks for your help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of pretty Red Sea Max tanks here on RS, in the Red Sea Max Owners Club

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/

I think most of us in the RSM Club, asked this same question, before choosing the Red Sea Max tank.

To get an idea of what coral the RSM tanks can support, check out this FTS thread. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

Hopefully some RS owners of Oceanic 29g HQI will post back & give you some good info on thier tanks too ! The Oceanic a good tank too, from what I have read.

dankent

+1 too that nanoreefing4fun ...

I was humming and hawing over which to get, ultimately i got the RSM130D. Now I cannot give you any cons on the oceanic ... never owned one .. but I can about the RSM ....

Out of the box its all you need to run .... sorta

Stock Skimmer is loud
Media chamber .... lol good luck getting your arm in and out of there ... cut my arm once in there.
Heater ..... man ... deathwish waiting to happen ..... dont use it !
Do not think the lighting will hold up to the needs of stoney type corals but
there are alot of others that will live in the tank ..and some thrive.
There are upgrades to aleviate these issues ... but i dont feel for the price i invested in the RSM ... i dont feel i should have had to.

Pros:

Looks good ! plain and simple, has to be the best looking all in one tank for sure,
Electric panel well done and labeled.
The lighting / lid .... nice setup with Feeding mid or full open settings .... not bad at all there.

JimmyJ

Thanks for the insight both of you. I think I am going the RSM route. Went and priced it out at my local LFS and it was about $150 more then what I found online. Any websites out there that I should stay clear of?

Thanks again for your help.
-Jim

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Jim - most all RSM tanks ship from the same warehouse out of Houston ^ drop ship right to your door. I remember wanting to buy from the lsf, but with free shipping & no tax, I ordered online (thatfishplace), lots good ones, marine depot, foster & smith.

I orders on a Wednesday & got mine 48 hours latter on a Friday :)

JimmyJ