RSM 130, 130D and 130C Mods

Brando457

Yeah I plan on doing the same! Was trying to figure out which rim would be best. Thanks!

I'm thinking of building an acrylic cover to hide the skimmer and cover the pump area so it looks like it's just a tank with a light over it lol

Yeah I plan on doing the same! Was trying to figure out which rim would be best. Thanks!

I'm thinking of building an acrylic cover to hide the skimmer and cover the pump area so it looks like it's just a tank with a light over it lol

a rear sump cover has crossed my mind before- block any light from entering the rear chambers....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If I (for some reason) don't do an External Coast to Coast overflow on my next tank it WILL have black acrylic covers to block out all light. Other wise it's prime breeding ground for various forms of algae since most of the predators of algae can't get in there.

tnwillia

Not a great picture (from my phone) but you get the idea. With my top cover I really wasn't worried about yhe exact fit. It served it purpose well! Have fun!

IMG_0055.jpg

Brando457

I envision more of a square box to cover the top rear areas. Picture if you were to make a rectangle of the acrylic and it sat nicely to hide the components.

Brando457

I'm going to pickup eheim 600s today and do that mod.

Also anyone ever have a loud 9002 skimmer? Seems to be the pump I think.

tnwillia

The great think about Acrylic is you can do what ever you want. Have fun with your project!

Here is the mod I did to improve mine. This is posted on pg#3 of the 9002 sticky. The original is blocked because of the music in it I guess. Even if it does not solve your problem it makes operation 100% easier....

Tunze 9002 Skimmer Modification on Vimeo

Brando457

Upgraded pump for the rsm 130d.

I used 2 x eheim 600 and eheim tube. It is easy to remove the plugs on the stock pumps, but to fit the hose over the end as you see in the picture was not easy. What I ended up doing is heating the tip with a lighter and using scissors to extend the tube until I could push it.

626dd83f-dbec-e5ae.jpg

Brando457

Not sure if this is a mod, but I setup my JBJ ATO today.

Was able to fit a 10g standard tank underneath then copied Steve T's idea of using hard PVC to make a nice 90 to 90 degree elbow connection. I have the sensor mounted next to my tunze skimmer slightly above the heater divider.

photo.jpg

By the end of the month I'll be adding an ecotech radion LED and a screen cover, wheew so much work for a nano!

Let do it lol

lol, well- when I get ahead on my extreme picotope project, I will be looking into crafting a box type of cover for the rear sump- maybe utilizing the fan into the setup to help with cooling.

btw, nice setup! that is how I started- installed an ATO sump into the stand.

On another note- I almost pulled the trigger on a reef octopus external protein skimmer over the weekend for the RSM. Keeping my eye on the lookout for an external protein skimmer.- one less motor in the water.....

If the picotope extreme setup pans out- I may utilize an Auto liquid feed refridg system into the RSM. The Pico is the experimental guinea pig for the RSM.

same idea- angle length of water sump rear area- with a blank on both ends- and cut out for my lifereef overflow.... As little possible light source into the rear chamber....