RockWork

What's the best live rock and why(you can add in your comments)

• Tonga

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Fiji

Votes: 64 61.5%
  • Marshall island

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Cook island

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Fake rocks

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon yes (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon no (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Barebottom is great

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Deep sand bed

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Coarse sand bed

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Fine sand bed

Votes: 28 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Some Info

Pacific Live Rock

Tonga Live Rock
Some of the most highly prized live rock comes from Tonga. In particular, Deepwater Tonga live rock (sometimes sold as Vava’u) is a very high quality rock, often heavily encrusted with brightly colored coralline. It is known for its attractive branching coral-like shapes. Eva Tonga live rock is also of very high quality and is generally heavily encrusted with colorful coralline. Unlike Deepwater Tonga live rock, Eva live rock is more rocky in appearance. Tonga Branch live rock is another high quality, colorful live rock that is prized for its branchlike appearance (usually a result of being composed of dead, encrusted branching coral such as Acropora and Porites). Tonga Branch live rock is what made Tonga famous in the marine hobby. Another form of Tonga branch live rock is Tonga fusion live rock. Tonga fusion is Tonga branch that has been re-encrusted and fused with other pieces of Tonga branch making for interesting shapes and great habitat for many marine organisms. Finally, Shelf live rock from Tonga is often available. Tonga Shelf live rock is generally of good quality. Made up of either eroded coralline rock or tabletop Acropora, Tonga Shelf, perhaps not surprisingly, makes for good shelving when aquascaping. Tonga Fusion Live Rock is generally the most expensive live rock from Tonga.

Basile

Live rock info

Florida Live Rock

Florida Live Rock

All Florida live rock is aquacultured. It is generally heavy and relatively expensive. It is also known for having a higher percentage of unwanted hitchhikers (e.g. mantis shrimp). The advantage to Florida live rock is that it may come with living coral (also aquacultured) on it because it is aquacultured. Other live rock will have had any living coral removed in order to conform to U.S. law.

Basile

Fiji Live Rock

Some very high quality live rock comes from Fiji, as does some pretty poor quality live rock. Fiji rock is often sold by grade (e.g. premium, ultra-premium), and is generally encrusted, dead brush Acropora. Premium and ultra-premium Fiji live rock is generally quite good. Fiji Branch live rock resembles Tonga Branch live rock, and generally fetches the highest price of all Fiji live rock.

Vanuatu Live Rock

This is, in many aquarists’ opinions, some of the highest quality live rock regularly available. There was a time when Vanuatu live rock was highly inconsistent in quality, leading some people to steer clear. These issues have been largely resolved, and most available Vanuatu live rock is nicely shaped and colorfully encrusted rock.

Basile

Marshall Islands Live Rock

Rock from the Marshall Islands is high quality, colorful, interestingly shaped porous rock known for its light weight. Because of its weight, Marshall Island live rock has a much better weight to surface area ratio than other live rock, making it the ideal rock for effective biological filtration. Marshall Island live rock is sometimes difficult or impossible to purchase legally in the United States.

There are certainly other kinds of live rock available, and the individual aquarist's preference for a particular type of rock may be highly subjective. The above is a sampling of some of the most commonly available and respected live rock in the hobby.

Basile

Aquascapes

Take a look at that

aquascape1.jpg

5572newtankresized.jpg

DSC001922.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

c-aquascape.gif

cpfarm.jpg

DSCN0883-1.jpg

DSC05497-1.jpg

DSCN13311.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Here is my contribution to the thread.
A 90g I had in 02:
90gallonreef370.jpg

And a few syles my 120g has had over the past 4 years:
000_1490_edited.jpg

000_1436.jpg

000_2404_editedSmall.jpg

and today:
032-6.jpg

003-19.jpg

All rock is balanced without pegs ever and always Fiji LR.
There are other designs in my Frankie's 120 gallon experiment thread if you want to hunt them down and copy them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Basile some of these are just PSICK rock ideas! Wow!!

I would like to get more information about this particular one as I'm thinking about attempting something similar myself on my over-flow. Can you "link me" to the author's thread?

reef-deco-atoll.jpg

Basile

Basile some of these are just PSICK rock ideas! Wow!!

I would like to get more information about this particular one as I'm thinking about attempting something similar myself on my over-flow. Can you "link me" to the author's thread?

reef-deco-atoll.jpg

I wish i could of keep them all. Lots of those i kept in my folder file for my projects. When i have a link i usually put it right with the pics. But i can tell you that i usually take all the info with me for my own use, so if i don't put it up there, it means the guy didn't have any. So that particular one had probably just that. All the same i'll try to retrace it for you. If i find it i'll send a private message. Thanks for the encouragment.

Last edited:

Basile

Rockwork secrets........

Rockwork secrets........indeed

rock_structure_1b.jpg

rock_structure_1c.jpg

rock_structure_1e.jpg

Look at the clear rods you can see them really good

newdiy007.jpg

newdiy008.jpg