RockWork

What's the best live rock and why(you can add in your comments)

• Tonga

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Fiji

Votes: 64 61.5%
  • Marshall island

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Cook island

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Fake rocks

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon yes (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon no (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Barebottom is great

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Deep sand bed

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Coarse sand bed

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Fine sand bed

Votes: 28 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

I found so little, info and threads about liverock work and ideals. Lack of imagination and for sure , it seems lack of interest in most threads. I wonder why since its a structure you'll be looking most of the time and for a very long time indeed. Very few videos, or concept pictures of plans iand ideals. So i though that a special thread should be dedicated to PLANS, IDEALS, and concept, and the reason for choosing a desing. Remember , your water flow will depend on it. So i got a few desing i took from various sites, and regrouped here and hope you'll joing showing yours, with , if possible your plans and techniques;

Fake rocks, pegging techniques, false walls, and what ever...

flore6.jpg

flore2.jpg

Photo001-2.jpg

jgking21

nice, how did you set up your rocks? pegging?

i setting up a corner tank, my plan is to use pvc piping to hold up 2 towers and a rock ledge in between. i don't want any rock touching the walls. i started the stand over the weekend, i'll get a pic up soon.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Basil I went to great lengths on my build thread to design and BUILD a solid structure. I don't think I posted the "plans" but I did make mention as to what I was thinking about. Hope that helps :)

rmlevasseur

This is a cool topic. However, every few years I like to rearrange my rock just for a change. So I dont peg it.

marine281

I used fake live rock for my display, I have 1 Large piece, did it this way as I wanted to get the height without taking up the whole sandbed & stacking rocks up which were unstable.

Love the pictures in your second post though, will be giving that a go when I upgrade tank size next.

P3020034.jpg

Basile

Hey thanks for your contribution, nice picture; hope others will do the same and show us their work, instead of just saying what they've done. When you upgrade take pics of your work in progress and post it here. :whstlr:

I just finished redoing this tonight. We used eggcrate, zip ties and marine epoxy. took us 8 hours to get the rocks to fit just right!:banghead:

Attachments

• halfway.jpg
    halfway.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3,057
  • complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,035
  • left pillar.jpg
    left pillar.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,017
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,002
  • right pillar.jpg
    right pillar.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,988

ZAPCOnj

Another one

DSC04982.jpg

DSC04963.jpg

DSC05388.jpg

WOW. that is just a hot look for a modern looking tank like an elos or something..... WOW... just WOW... i may have to do that in my office at work with my new LED pendant light.... oh... i've said too much........

Basile

I just finished redoing this tonight. We used eggcrate, zip ties and marine epoxy. took us 8 hours to get the rocks to fit just right!:banghead:

Hey thanks man ; thats what call showing us! You just gave me an ideal how to use eggcrates for my next project, youhoo; that the point of this thread keep the ideals comming, and thank you all for your support , keep the thread growing, maybe it will become a sticky someday.....anyone??

Great job Joe we appreciate the time you took in your ,8 hours i can see that. Wow. Did you run you zip ties through you rocks( drilled i mean) or on the outside ?

Basile

WOW. that is just a hot look for a modern looking tank like an elos or something..... WOW... just WOW... i may have to do that in my office at work with my new LED pendant light.... oh... i've said too much........

Thanks, yes when i saw that i was blown away. I said to myself, self, you got to show that to others. Its not my work by the way; pict it up from a site , and was inspired by it. Really showing the potential of pegging techniques. Aquascaping seems to be an afterthought in are rush to set up a tank. And we are stuck with it for a long time. Anyway enough rambling, lol. If you find great aquascaping , put them up here, the more ideals the better.

we did drill the rocks, but we also tried to use the natual holes as much as possible. once the rocks were ziptied, we used the epoxy for insurance. :grind: we made sure the center pillar was strong and very balanced then we pushed epoxy around the contact points for insurance.

Basile

we did drill the rocks, but we also tried to use the natual holes as much as possible. once the rocks were ziptied, we used the epoxy for insurance. :grind: we made sure the center pillar was strong and very balanced then we pushed epoxy around the contact points for insurance.

Ok great i will do that on my next project, i assume you used a colored epoxy to try to match the rock...like grey ? I never drilled rocks before. can you drill a small piece, thin pieces or are they too brittle for that.

I am guessing a masonary bit? And you are using pvc pipe to make the pillars? I am assuming also you guys are using dead rock to begin with or a piece of really expensive stuff and just not keeping it out of water too long?