Robzilla's 55 gallon reef tank

catran

Looks great, I bet you're glad that's all done! Good to hear Blenny Kravitz is okay. Hope you enjoy your new place! :bigbounce

Robzilla

Definitely glad! I was so relieved once I saw his head poking out down there. The place is amazing and has so much space!

Robzilla

So I have run into 2 issues...

1) I got a feather duster on Monday and he has yet to poke his head out. I left it in one place for a day and nothing, then moved it to an area of lower flow for all of yesterday and still nothing. It seems to have wedged itself into the rock, so I think it likes the spot, but has not opened. Not sure if anything has been picking at it...doesn't look like it.

2) My protien skimmer hasn't been producing anything since the move. Nothing changed on the dials during the move and I have tried to dial it in since then but I either get an overflow of water or nothing at all. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Glad to hear the move went well!

I recently bought a feather duster and i swear he hates me......only comes out like 3-4 times a day - I don't know what he does. As for the skimmer, I'd say just let it go. when i do a water change in my tank and stir things up, it goes from working to not. takes about 12 hours for it to kick back in. I'm not sure if it is all the particles in the water breaking the bubbles up but I have started to notice a trend.

HTH

BK

catran

yeah, it will take a while to break in the protien skimmer again. As for the feather duster, it will take him a while too. They will attach to rock easy, but don't like high flow although they can get used to it after a while. Patience!

Robzilla

It is in a spot with pretty low flow. He is attached to a rock underneath a rock shelf....I just have to wait. As for the skimmer, I will keep waiting. It is taking longer than it did to break in right out of the box when I got it new.

Robzilla

The skimmer returned to normal which is good news.

I saw the fan worm poke its head out this morning, but it shrank back in as soon as I walked by. I hope it gets used to movement....as it is in the living room and next to the kitchen. I have company over all the time so it better get used to it!
I will post a pic as soon as it opens.

catran

Patience is sooo difficult! We have to worry that things are okay!
On my way to MCF now!

jpsika08

Great tank and good news the move went ok.
The Feather duster is just acclimating to its new surroundings, he will poke out his feathers soon enough :)
Also, great that the skimmer is working as it should.

Good luck and hope to see more pics soon :)

BTW, Blenny Kravitz is a great name :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Dusters are pretty "nervous". Any change in current (such as a fish swimming near), or a shadow going across them, often makes them pop back into the tube. A defense against getting eaten I'd guess.

Robzilla

Great tank and good news the move went ok.
The Feather duster is just acclimating to its new surroundings, he will poke out his feathers soon enough :)
Also, great that the skimmer is working as it should.

Good luck and hope to see more pics soon :)

BTW, Blenny Kravitz is a great name :D

Thanks! It is a very nervous little thing. I'm really glad it works again too!

I was so thrilled when I landed that name! Glad you like it! More pics soon to come.

Robzilla

Dusters are pretty "nervous". Any change in current (such as a fish swimming near), or a shadow going across them, often makes them pop back into the tube. A defense against getting eaten I'd guess.

Thanks Terry! Good to know. It makes sense...though it should just realize that I want it to be open all the time and make all my tank dreams come true :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe you need to get ahold of the Feather Duster Whisperer to help communicate with it! :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My duster broke off the tube all the way back to the rock it is under and now spreads out at the base of the rock.....totally don't understand it - must be a "female" feather duster :)

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Glad everything went well!!
I have 4 feather dusters and I can't believe how bold they are!! With the exception of the smallest one I can reach in the tank and tap on their tubes with zero response. Very seldom do the zip back in. I love those things.

Robzilla

Glad everything went well!!
I have 4 feather dusters and I can't believe how bold they are!! With the exception of the smallest one I can reach in the tank and tap on their tubes with zero response. Very seldom do the zip back in. I love those things.

Nice! Hope mine gets that bold....it was about half extended this morning and it didn't shrink when I went to add marine snow this morning.