RO/Topup/Sump Question.

MINIATUS

First thing that comes to mind. There is plenty of water pressure.
First question is how far can an RO/DI pump water without losing its ability to keep a topup in the sump working properly.
My tank is on the main floor of the house with the RO/DI in the basement and its at least 20 feet awy from the tank. I can change it as the main line is about 5 feet away from where the tank is. Therefore I can tap into it and have the drain line run the 20 feet to the sink instead The only disavantage is that I would have to run a power source to the same area because I would have a large container to store water close to the area and it has a circulation pump and heater. Hope this makes sense.

MINIATUS

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
EXCELLENT question MIN. I am very interested in the answer myself as my ro/di is way at the other end of the house from my aquarium.

tx29fan

I have a 1/4 inch line that runs from my laundry room to a 5 gallon container in the closet behind my aquarium. I did a quick measure and it's about 21 feet. pressure is fine. I have a float valve in my sump to fill from the container, and one in the container to prevent accidental overfills.

MINIATUS

tx29fan said:
I have a 1/4 inch line that runs from my laundry room to a 5 gallon container in the closet behind my aquarium. I did a quick measure and it's about 21 feet. pressure is fine. I have a float valve in my sump to fill from the container, and one in the container to prevent accidental overfills.

My problem is that I have to tee off so that one line feeds a resovior and the other to the sump on the main floor. There is no place fro a container on the main floor. I have pressurized solinoid but need to figure how to hook it all up.

MINIATUS

tx29fan

I personaly look at the tds everytime I turn on my ro/di. Thats why I chose to fill a container instead of directly feeding the sump automaticly. I have my ro/di on a 120min sprinkler timer that was made to hook to your garden hose water your yard. a tee fitting supplies it and the washing machine from the valve there. I also have a tee and a couple of valves in the line so I can swith it and run water to my make-up water tank.

mps9506

Min,
Do you have a solenoid controlling each line after the T?

I personally think you would be fine running the line to the sump from the basement.

MINIATUS

actually the solenoid is suppose to goto the input of the RO right after the prefilters. from there a line which Tees off to the float valves in the sump and the resovior. A point brought up was TDS. I dont quite understand that part of it and how its affected with turning off and on.

MINIATUS

Woodstock

RS STAFF
MINIATUS said:
got to figure how to upload a bitmap image. anyone

MINIATUS

MIN, what message are you getting when you try to upload the bitmap image?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
MINIATUS said:
........ A point brought up was TDS. I dont quite understand that part of it and how its affected with turning off and on.

MINIATUS

The TDS doesn't affect the operation of the ro/di unit. I think TX29Fan was referring to the fact that he measures the ro/di's TDS before he begins filling his container. There are 2 types of TDS meters; on is hand held and the other can be installed in-line on the ro/di unit. I have the hand held and measure the ro/di output every few months or so.

MINIATUS

Woodstock said:
MIN, what message are you getting when you try to upload the bitmap image?

wrong size or wrong type of file.If I make it to small than it cant be read as it to small

MIN

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sent you a PM :)

... change the extention from ".bmp" to ".jpg" and it should work.

MINIATUS

tx29fan said:

I know what you mean now, I got one of those containers that hold 3 1/2 gals (stores drinking water).

MIN

MINIATUS

now that that works, I can maybe get a better understanding. I know solinoid goes to the feed end of the RO after it goes thru the prefilter stage.

where should I put the storeage container that will store water to feed sump.The container for water for water changes should it be controlled also or will the float valve do the job. Does this help.

MINIATUS

tx29fan

I use the kent float valves as a safety backup. I have had my float valves stick and fail and have read where many pump driven valves stick open as well. This is why I choose to control my water with a mechanical timer. The water from my storage container ( I use a 5 gallon, the kind I used to lug water back and forth when I was buying water) and it is gravity fed to my sump. so anywhere you could place it that was above your sump would be ok IMO.

Attachments

• top1-s.JPG
    top1-s.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 13

tx29fan

I don't use one. I use a mechanical sprinkler timer that adjusts from 15 to 120 minutes in the time mode.