Ro/di How Important Is It?

no1bubba

Was There A Poll For This Subject? I Thought I Saw One Quite A While Ago. Can You Please Direct Me There. Question: How Many For / Against. Bubba

lcstorc

I wouldn't go that far as long as it is properly treated for the chlorine. I would say non pure water promotes algae growth big time. Some tap water is better than others and the worse it is, the more algae growth you will be fighting constantly.

BobBursek

Ditto, Lynn,
And then there are here or RC asking for help with Algae problems for a year after the cycle!!!!!! If they would read them, one of the main causes is not using RO/DI water made at HOME where you have total control of it, not Wally World, LFS, grocery store vending machine, ect, ect!

lcstorc

Then there are those that don't replace their filters.
A handheld TDS will save you so much time and effort on the algae front.

BobBursek

I will not argue with Tatuvaaj! Or Graig B.!
But most tap water is not conducive for a tank with corals. What kills me is posters giving advise on changing filters on a time bases, not there water condition, or more importantly, how often they run it. Back in the early 70's in Popular Mechanics magazine there was an add for a carburetor for you your car that would give you "30 days on a tank of gas". heck I can get 6 months on a tank of gas in my summer car when it is in storage from November to April!!!!!

tatuvaaj

For the record: I recommend RO/DI to everyone!

Sometimes people even get mad at me when I mention that I don't use one :ashamed:

Just wanted to point out that sometimes you can use tap water. I don't like the idea of wasting so much water if it is not necessary but: RO/DI water will always be better than tap water

BobBursek

I have a pressure gage on my inlet to my RO/DI prefilters, 70psi, and another one after the third prefiter outlet/inlet to the RO membrane, when filters are new I have a 4psi difference, when the sediment filter is looking dirty, and I get to a 8psi differential, I change the 3 prefilters. I make 60 RO/DI every 3-4 weeks. My water is from a 3 deep well municipality water system, and the water is treated, runs about 580TDS, I have a Filmtec 75gpd, TDS's out run about 8, then thru 2 DI vertical, standard size canisters. I get about 160g from the first DI canister changed at 1TDS with an inline meter, then flip the second one to the first position and refill the other one and use that as the second one. I hope this helps!!!

BobBursek

Tatuaaj,
First yes most crabs are evil, and Damsels!!! I appreciate your conservation on RO/DI waste water. I never dump a gallon of it. I fill the washing machine, 25g, never realized how much it took till I started doing that, fill the old RC 160g mix salt buckets, hold about 5g each, during the growing season water the garden as needed, that junk water is great there! And have a Brute 32g for any left over for the wash. Just do not like wasting all that water I have to pay for.

burning2nd

Well.. since some people like algae farming.. and killing nice living sea creatures. its not really that importent... its only money your wasteing right?

couldn't be more sarcastic

its The most impotent thing ever,

DrHank

A properly maintained RO/DI system can make the difference between success or failure. I would suggest that you first get an inexpensive TDS meter and test your source water. If it's more than double digits, I recommend an RO/DI.

burning2nd

then its safe 2 say you need a good RODI..
check out thefilterguys.org great peope good prices

top of the line unit

BLAKEJOHN

Tatu is from Finland and thier water is most likley different than ours here in the states (we tend to polute our waters). If Tatu has been able to keep a thriving reef with Finland tap water, then why change a good thing (Although having an RO/DI would make sure you have no future water problems).

rmlevasseur

Guys- the answer to this question rests SOLELY with the quality of your tap water to begin with, and what you want to keep.

At my house we have very high TDS well water. I ran a FOWLR with heavy hermits for ten years with EXCELLENT results. However in my 180 reef and my gigantea tank I don't dare use it without heavy ro/di processing. You have to know what is contributing to your TDS before you can know how safe it is. TDS is a good measure of whether your RO is working, but it really says very little about how "safe" your water is.