Ro/di How Important Is It?

BobBursek

Ditto,
TDS is Total Disolved Solids, no matter what they are, good or bad!!!! Your tap water could have low TDS's but lets say the majority of them are phosphates it would more detrimental then lets say tap water with a higher TDS's that had no phosphates. See what I am triing to say, TDS's are just a quide but you need to know what is making up those TDS's.

Paul B

I ran my tank for the first 20 years or so with tap water. There was some algae but no real problems, then one day all of my corals died. I called the water company and they told me that they put zinc orthophosphate in the water supply to control corrosion in the pipes. It is not bad for people.
The large LFS near my home also lost all of their corals that day.
I now use RO/DI. So sometimes tap water if fine, it just depends.

BobBursek

Thanks Paul B,
I guess that is my point, when you make your own RO/DI you are in complete control of it's quality. If getting it from the grocery store, distilled, Wally Word, LFS, you have no idea of quality control. I have a municible treated well system, one Saturday morning I slept in, went to make my coffee, turned on the radio, well the anouncement was there chlorine system went down, and do not use the water without boiling till further notice, just think if I was topping off the tank!!!!!