Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Good point. Will check what we have here in the Netherlands. The only thing I'm using a few times a week to soak in the food with garlic guard.
Further no vitamins. WiIll check my lfs for that.

Rini

Day 134:

Today with a cup of coffee on the table looking at where we are with the KH / CA / MG / salt level.
And it was actually pretty good. The more aggressive dose of foundation B is paying off.
Seems we are able to get a bit above 12 now. Almost at the desired 12.6 level.
What do we have:
dKh 12. with 40 ml it raised from 11.6 to 12 in 5 days. Now back to 20 ml per day to keep it around this level. As you can see we are aiming for grow, since my tank is mostly frags.
MG 1390 : stable with daily 10 ml foundation C
CA 450 : coming down from 500. Now back 10 ml a day foundation A it will raise slowly. Goal is 465.

Further we think everything is going very good. Fish seems to have filled bellies, the corals are opening and growing very good.
The brown algae we had a few weeks ago is basically gone. The sand is again white again.
The diy live rock is getting a more natural color now. It is not as strange looking as when we placed it into the tank.

Thats it for today. Basically not much to report. Things doing very good.

Rini

Just a small update. Updates are not coming that regular. Basically there is not much to report. Everything is doing fine.
Corals opening nice.

Some time ago I got from my niece an anemone, it has splitted and she had basically 1 place to put it, trashcan. So thought let me try if it is going to survive in my tank, better a small chance as no chance.
We called her Mona. Mona did move a few times through the tank and seems she found her place now. She is hanging out there for several weeks now. Had to remove a few corals since she did not care she was standing on top of another one.
Here an picture how we got her:

IMG_0112.jpg

We are now several weeks further and this is how she looks now.

IMG_0286.jpg
She grows fast!

Further I wanted to try some sps corals, just to see if it survive or even grow in my tank.
So i bought a few very cheap ones. And they are growing pretty well. Not that fast.

Hard to see, but when I got it:

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-13 om 13.56.23.png

And how it looks today.
So yes it is growing. Still do not like those sps to be honest. I prefer waving corals. Not sticks.

IMG_0290.jpg

Our druifjeskoraal (frogspawn). Is doing great. It is growing.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

The elegance flower, I have no idea if it is growing. It opens when the lights go on, and it close during night. It is a nice color.

The other colored frogspawn was not happy on its location a bit higher in the tank on the right side.
It didn't open much as you can see in the picture. I have moved it back to the bottom with a bit less water flow. Lets see if that helps.

IMG_0288.jpg

The last sps coral is not growing fast. It does grow. The picture as how i got it.

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

How it is looking now.

IMG_0292.jpg

Thats it picture wise :)

What i'm dosing at the moment to keep this tank going.
RS foundation A. 10 ml to keep the CA stable around 460 --> it is 450 at the moment
RS foundation B. 20 ml to keep the KH stable around 12.6 --> it is 12 at the moment
RS foundation C. 10 ml to keep the MG stable around 1390
Nopox 5 ml a day to keep nitrate and phosphate good : No3 2. Po4 : 0,06
RS reef enery A & B : 3 ml a day
RS color colorisation A/B/C/D 1 ml each letter.

Next week tuesday I have planned a water change. I'm always a bit scared, since my water levels are pretty good now and always an surprise after an waterchange I found out.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Rini

Thanks Glenn.
I got that site already from you, and it is under my favorites.
It is a great site btw, lot of usefully information. If you have more information that is useful for an starter, always welcome.
Always good to have some guidance.

Rini

Yesterday evening I did an water change of 20 liters or 5,28 gallon. This brought my calcium around the 500. And magnesium around 1520. Kh at 10.5.
Means the coming few days no need to dose rs foundation A (ca/sr) & C(mg). Most water changes I do mess up a bit with the tank parameters. Always a bit scared to do water changes to be honest because of the outcome. Using red sea pro salt btw.
On the other hand (I hope) it are no dramatic numbers.

What are the winning numbers for today:
dKH 10.5
Nitrate 2
Phosphate 0,04
Calcium 500
Magnesium 1520

Wondering people using the complete red sea program how often they do water changes.
Will check if i can find something on the forum. Or i create a new topic.

Oxylebius

Wondering people using the complete red sea program how often they do water changes.
Will check if i can find something on the forum. Or i create a new topic.

You are going to get a variety of opinions regarding this b/c there are so many factors that vary from tank to tank, a major one being the types of corals and how fast they are growing.

Over the next month or so you will begin to get a feel for how your parameters change with water changes. You will eventually be able to determine when and how much to dose that correspond to the water changes you do.

The ideal target is to keep your params as stable as possible - which can be done with doing water changes and dosing at the same time.

Creating a new thread, properly titled, would probably be best to solicit a variety of opinions. Sometimes having these types of topics buried in your tank thread don't allow for some folks to find them.

Rini

Thanks Oxylebius.
I'm to fresh in the hobby to have that feeling at the moment. I hope to be able to get more feeling about it in a couple of months, so i can work towards an water change.

Thanks for your reply!
Will create a new topic.

Rini

Meanwhile we survived the weekend. We had our celebration of Sinterklaas in our village.
From now on our oldest may put a shoe in front of the chimney with an carrot or treat for Sinterklaas horse. Sinterklaas will visit our house when we are sleeping. Check the Shoe and take the treat for his horse. And in return he put an gift in the shoe.
At 5 december he leave the Netherlands. So till 5 december gifts ;)

IMG_0351.jpg
Back ontopic.
Day 149.

Things going pretty good.
The only thing that need a bit tweaking is the dKH this is below 11 at the moment. 10.9. I'm dosing 50ml per day foundation B and this seems not enough to keep it stable. So need to adjust a bit.

This weekend our cleaner shrimp took a new jacket, the old jacket was directly floating to Mona.
It took a few hours but she managed to eat it.

IMG_0342.jpg

Further not much happend with the tank. As far we assume everything is going very good.
have found another hitchhiker in the tank, will create an topic of it.
Looks like a small tube growing and sometimes some sort of hair is coming out of it.

New week, new chances.

Rini

Hi Desmond. Good to hear something from you :) it was quiet.
Work. Always the same ;)
I can say that the coming month for me work wise it will be a bit quiet. End year season lot of people on holiday or go on holiday. So end year it is pretty easy.

Corals are growing very well. They grow so quick that it is hard to keep up with the dKH :D
At least I blame the grow.

Desmond

Hi Desmond. Good to hear something from you :) it was quiet.
Work. Always the same ;)
I can say that the coming month for me work wise it will be a bit quiet. End year season lot of people on holiday or go on holiday. So end year it is pretty easy.

Corals are growing very well. They grow so quick that it is hard to keep up with the dKH :D
At least I blame the grow.
Lucky for you lots of offshore operations stopping now so loads of equipment to repair and service and working on some international jobsfor next year so busy as a bee.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Rose BTA looking great !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Christmas_Smiley.jpg

Rini

The Anemone is growing so fast, unbelievable. When I got her she has moved a few days through the tank. Finally she landed with her foot under a rock. And since then she is sitting there. Gladly she chooses to find a location where we can see her. With my niece at home there is one sitting on top of the tank to an inlet of a waterpump. Almost out of sight.

Seems I got a bit cyano in the tank. Have removed it yesterday carefully. Everything shutdown (pumps / skimmer). I blame that i changed a location of the leather coral. Basically where the cyano came up was where the leather was placed. It is a big leader and behind that the waterflow was almost 0. Have removed the leather and put him in a more open place to be sure the waterflow continue again.

In my Nano tank I had some Cyano too sometimes. I used Microbe-Lift special blend for that.
Since i'm now using the red sea program I'm not sure if this can be combined. Will check the red sea forum part if there is something to find. Otherwise will create a new topic to ask.

@glenn : Sinterklaas yes :)
Special for the little ones.

Today she got an Peppa Pig stamp set. She loves to watch Peppa Pig.
Not even time to eat her breakfast.
IMG_0389.jpg IMG_0392.jpg

Rini

Just read a topic and found this reply from DaveK.
So will go that way first.

Here is the thing. The fact that you have a cyano outbreak amd diatoms demonstrates that nitrate and/or phosphate is not under control. Just because your test kits read 0 does not mean that there is not a problem here. Problem algaes can be consuming nitrate and phosphate, and growing, so you get 0 readings.

Personally, I don't think "ZeoBac, Coral Snow, Special Blend," is going to make any real difference. Save your money. Your tank has already been set up 5 months, so it's already got plenty of bacteria.

Here is what I would recommend -

First, get new phosphate and nitrate test kits. Get some good ones like Elos or Salifret. Make sure they are low range kits.

Test your water, and verify the readings you now have. Test kits do go bad.

Increase your water changes for the time being. I'd change about 20% a week, but don't become a fanatic about it.

When you change the water vacuum all or part of your sandbed, but only go down about 1 inch. Get as much "glop" out as you can. Try to do any dead spots too, even if you need to move some LR.

Replace the SeaChem SeaGel and Purigen with real phosban or equivalent product. i.e. a ferric oxide based product. Here is an example from Bulk reef supply - 1.75 pound (453 Grams) Bulk GFO "High Capacity" Ferric Oxide - English Yes, I know this stuff is out of sight expensive, but I believe that it works a lot better than the SeaChem product.

Discontinue carbon for the time being, as it can be a source of phosphates, or test it. Put a hand full of carbon in a glass, fill the glass with ro/DI water, wait 2 days and test the water for phosphates.

If you are not already doing it thaw and rinse all frozen and fresh foods in RO/DI water. Discontinue all dry foods for the time being. They can be a massive source of nitrates and phosphates.

Test you new water to make sure you are not introducing nitrates and/or phosphates from that.

If necessary, upgrade your clean up crew. They will not eat cyano, but they may keep some of the other stuff under control, and clean off areas of LR.

Check what you are getting out of your dosing pump for nitrate and phosphate. It's an unlikely source, but be sure.

There are some more exotic things you could try, but get the other, generally less expensive, things done first.

Lastly, do NOT use the red slime remover products. Unless the underlying problem is fixed, all you'll do is replace one problem algae with another.

Rini

Nice your nem choose a place you can view ! If I get a nem one day, it will be a Rose BTA

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+869&pcatid=869
your daughter is a cutie :java: ... had to goggle peppa :winky: interesting learning about different customs & countries, chatting around the world realtime on RS

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes I agree Glenn. It is fun to learn something about other cultures.
I'm glad this can be done here on the forum. I like to share so now and then some things about my family and what we are doing. Since they are most important to me and they make this hobby possible for me.
Our yongest one (almost 4 months now!) we put on regular note in front of the tank. She really like to watch (or we just want that :p). Not that busy with movements like an television and flashing lights etc.
The oldest one like it bigger. She want much more water. She love go to the sea. For us it is 1,5 hours driving to go to the north sea. As you see in the last picture on the right side down : she was tired! :)
We like to go to sea when the weather is a bit rough.

IMG_0326.jpg

Ontopic:

The lights just went on and it seems the cyano is still not there. With my Nano i had an outbreak, when we cleaned the sand some hours later we already saw again red slime. Seems this is not the case now. So hopefully it stays under control.

Rini

The little bit cyano returned. Have again removed it. I was a bit too enthusiastic with removal. When i was done i looked in the jerrycan, and saw that i had removed around 10 liters water. OOPS.
So i consider it as a small waterchange then. And after a water change the numbers are always a surprise.
This morning i checked the numbers. Mostly i do measurements in the early morning, before work.

dKH 12. This came from 10.9. Seems the 50 ml dosage of foundation B is finally paying off. And the water change helped.

Nitrate stays at 2.

Phosphate 0,04. To be honest, it can a bit lower or higher. The colors on the red sea test are a bit difficult to read. We have for example now cloudy weather. I'm to cheap to get an hanna tester. I consider the test as an indication are we good or bad.

Calcium: 500. The coming few days no foundation A dosing.

Magnesium 1480. Same story as CA.

Further I would say, let the weekend begin.
This green bottle below is waiting for me.
Danielle does not like Jaegermeister, so very sadly I have to consume it alone.. all alone! The whole bottle. ;)
Straight from the freezer.
IMG_0422.jpg

It won't go empty btw. ;) Just a few tiny glasses. Like smoking a cigar. Just for the taste.

Now I need coffee. And then work.