Retro Lighting (MH & VHO)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It is almost time to begin working on retrofitting my canopy for my 120 reef. I have done some research and decided to go with the following...

• 2 x 250 SE MH powered by two Icecap electronic ballast with spider reflectors?
  • 2 x 48" VHO for actinic supplementation powered by an Icecap 660 with _________ reflector?
  • 2 or 3 icecap fans with temperature sensor
Any thoughts on this setup?

aquaman3680

The only problem is the halides reaching all the way out there. Since the tank is 24x24 it will be tough for the halides to extend that far, There is a new reflector out, can't pull out the name right now, but they are supposed to take 250's and make them have the power of a 400. You might try that as a cheaper alternative.

Matt

Stevenmi

You could try the lumenarc's, EXPENSIVE but IMO the best reflectors available. Both single and de available That would leave you more room for either 4 (110) vho or perhaps (4) 54w t5's.

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc.htm

I am working on my canopy right now, however, I have decided to run 2 vho and 2 t5's off a 660. With 2x se 250 using the 14.5x14.5" Luminarc 3 mini.

Steve

Attachments

• L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 71
  • mini_luminarc.jpg
    mini_luminarc.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 71

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Boozeman, I prefer SE over DE because..
  • SE bulbs have the UV sheild built in and therefore does not need a glass UV sheild like the DE.
  • I want to go with an electronic ballast not an HQI.
  • I have a large inventory of SE bulbs already.
  • I know which SE bulbs I like and dislike through my trial and error ;)
Sasquatch, I dunno. Are you recommending more than 2? If so, the reasons?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I'll go with that reflector Steven, thanks! I've heard rave reviews about them and feel they are worth the extra $.

4 vho's ehh??

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Woody, why not? youve got the width, you could probably cut back the MH hours in the hot weather, ice caps are 2 channel so if one side blows you still have 2 lamps, what colour range are your mh? I find that te actinics are really nice until the coraline gets heavy on the back glass then the tank starts to look purple.Steve

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I use 10k MH so I would definately go with actinic VHO's. Okay then, I'll go with four.

What reflector for the VHO?

Stevenmi

If you decide on going t5, use the ice cap SLR reflectors!! they rock!! I am running the 2 vho x 2 t5's right now off a 660 (make sure they are on diffrent "loops" if you try this on the same ballast. My main bank is a 4 bulb nova extreem I like the color options more bulbs gives me for dawn to dusk.

That being said, perhaps some time(over the next few weeks) was can all talk MH bulb selection as I am a mh virgin.:alien:

Steve

billyr98

VHO have internal reflectors and SLRs are for T5HOs...

But about going with that crazy reflector... You are using 250w XM10ks they are equal to a 400w Low end MH bulb already... Be careful with that reflector mixture and the XM10k, you might be asking for a lot of light with softies and such...

rDr4g0n

if anyone plans to donate their t5 or VHOs i knwo this guy who posts on these forums who wouldnt mind taking them. hes kinda a jerk, but hes really cool

*whispers* its me!

Stevenmi

The vho I use do have internal reflectors. The SLR reflectors will only work with the t5's But give a 300% increase in output (advertised).

The icecap 600 overdrives the 54w t5's to about 80w. All I can say is it is blinding when matched with the slr reflectors.

Steve(determined to get woody to try t-5's at least on 2..lol)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
LOL Steven.

Billy, yeah, I already have bleaching issues with my current 250 watt xm's. I am NOT looking for more par.. just more actinics.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
The xm's are really good output so those reflectors may be a bit of overkill, looks like your going to have to rebuild the house, put the tank in a wall and have a light room, maybe a mixing board and a disco? lol it must be part of the human condition, everything we do is way to complicated

Woodstock

RS STAFF
LOL Steve! :LOL:

Thanks guys for all the input! :thumbup:

Billy helped me a lot in chat this morning.... This is what I will order in a few weeks... Thanks Billy!

MH From DIYReef:
Two: 250 watt Electronic Retro kit with IceCap electronic ballast, spider reflector, mogul socket w/cord, and power cord.

Actinics from FinsDepot:
Icecap T5 Retro Kit, 4 x 48"
Icecap Electronic Ballast(s) Moisture Proof
T5 End Caps
T5 Mounting Plates/Stand offs for End Caps
3 Prong grounded power cord 6 feet long
IceCap SLR individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb

:dance: