Refractometer

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I've always noticed my tank looks a little closed up if I let me salinity get to 1.024 so I normally keep it at 1.022-23 I've learned the reason why my hydrometer reads 1.024 not true my salinity is actually 1.027 according to my refractometer

That would exsplain why at 1.024 my tank looked funny when it should be fine so all this time my tanks have done well but were on the verge of going in to the dangerzone

lession learned buy a refractometer ony $60 money well spent

Well this is my exsperience so all this time I been running my salinity at 1.025-26 and never new it hydrometers are a waist of money luckly I never had any real trouble over this but who knows down the road it could have been a problem

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
So true... a refractometer should be one of the first things a marine aquarist gets! I used a swing arm hydrometer way too long~

mattie

RS Sponsor
wow i am surprised how off your hydrometer is. i too have a refractometer but my hydro meter was only off by 1 point wow 3 points could be a real problem.

For tanks that houses fishes only hydrometers are ok(off by 1 or 3 points)but when you're keeping hard and some softies corals it's crucial that you keep an steady and accurate specific gravity at all times.
Having one refractometer is the way to go...

VINA