Reefmack's RSM 130

kyley

Hey Terry, I found an old post of yours in a different forum showing your then new *blue* "green clown goby" - do you still have that fish? Did it stay that blue color? That was a cool looking fish! :) I've been thinking about getting a green clown goby myself (such a tiny little thing - can't add much to the bioload!), but heard it can be a bit hard to get them to eat. Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Kyle. That may have been a picture I was posting on behalf of someone that couldn't figure out how to post pictures. I do remember the very blue clown goby, but it wasn't mine. I've only ever had the green ones. Yes - they stay small and won't add much bioload. Cool little fish. Mine darts out of the corals in the 130 to grab food - both of the ones I've had (one in a small tank) have always eaten well with no problems.

kyley

Ah cool, thanks Terry. I may end up with a relatively high fish count in the end - but b/c I have little < 2" fish like that and a Neon Goby ;) Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Small Flame Angel added Thursday. He's finally getting over his shyness and spending more time in the open now. I took these shortly after the T5 lights came on.

Flame14_15_10.jpg

Flame24_15_10.jpg

Mandarin (lower left) still doing well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks all. Hopefully the Flame will do well, as I won't be trying another one. If I hadn't had that winter power outage I might still have the first one I had.

Dweezil

I was beginning to wonder if we were getting pictures. ;) That's a really bright one eh? Very pretty. The Mandarin does look great. Nice and plump. I see the starfish right under your Sun coral as well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Tammy. Flame Angels are indeed very bright - about the brightest red I can think of. The Flame can be difficult to get a good picture - very active fish and constantly in and out of several caverns that go through my rock. Yep the serpent star is too big to conpletely hide anywhere LOL!

The Mandarin has been pretty much on his own these days and is finding enough to eat, between the foods that fall to the bottom and pods in the tank. If he's like Eddie's he may also be eating the micro serpents as well. I find a lot on them as well as amphipods, etc. in my filter sock, so the pods, etc. must be doing a good job of multiplying in my 3 year old tank. I guess that's why Mandarins are usually recommended only for very mature tanks. With ORA soon to release tank bred Mandarins that should really help.

reefjeff

looking great terry
i just got the same starfish ya have at the bottom under the rocks, good cleaner ..
that flame angel is beautiful looking...thanks for sharing the pics
peace
jeff

Hey Terry

A few months ago my lfs had a Mandarin and I was thinking of getting it. The guy there told me they where very difficult to keep and probably would not survive. Never mind trying to sell a fish to someone when you don't think it will live. Have you found it to be very hard to keep? It looks great in your tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi JJ. I really wouldn't advise getting a mandarin unless you want to target feed it (and hope it eats) or if you want to be buying live pods frequently. I've been lucky with mine so far, maybe because the tank is getting old now, plus I periodically add live pods. ORA has been raising tank bred mandarins and they should start showing up soon. I'm guessing they will cost more, but if they readily eat other foods it would be worth it.

JimmyJ

Nice looking Flame Angel Terry, great color? Meant to ask you earlier what type of little red star that is you have?