Red Sea MSK 600 Skimmer (review)

jimv

I got the ato installed and it is working well. I am using a pitcher until I can get a container. The skimmer also settled down after about six full skimmer cups. That emerald entree is not going back in the tank.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo - don't correlate the problem to it ^ I have feed this product every other day to my tank for 4 years now - one of my favorites frozen my corals & fish thrive on it & it's never caused my skimmer to over skim in my 130D or my 250, I would more correlate it to a new skimmer breaking in, lots & lots of RS members feed it, very popular frozen & a great product

p_12020_FS20909D.jpg

Marine Cuisine is a blend of natural seafood ingredients, spirulina algae, color enhancers, and added vitamins. This complete diet for your marine omnivores and carnivores provides the nutrition found on coral reefs. Its unique ingredients entice fish to feed with vigor.

Emerald Entrée is a complete nutritional package especially for fish that rely on microalgae and vegetable matter as a main nutrition source. Also contains mysis shrimp, an attractive addition that entice finicky aquarium omnivores and carnivore to eat.

100% Squid is an excellent source of protein and a great supplementary food for carnivores such as Triggerfish and Groupers. Ornamental shrimp and other invertebrates such as crabs and starfish will also enjoy this nutritious treat.

Omega-3 enriched Brine Shrimp, with enhanced HUFA levels, provides an excellent diet for saltwater fish where these special omegas are a must for the overall well-being of your fish.
For over 30 years, San Francisco Bay Brand has been widely recognized as the food of choice for fresh and saltwater fish.
Marine Cuisine

Ingredients:
Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Krill, Water, Menhaden Oil, Astaxanthin, Sodium Alginate, Spirulina, Vitamin Premix (Wheat Flour, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Inositol, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Betaine and D-Alpha Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 6.4% min
Fat 1.5% min
Fiber 0.4% max
Moisture 90.0% max
Omega-3 Brine Shrimp

Ingredients:
Brine Shrimp, Water, Encapsulated Omega-3 (Menhaden Oil, Modified Food Starch, Soy Protein, Mixed Tocopherols/Tbhq) and Carrageenan.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 4.3% min
Fat 0.8% min
Fiber 0.5% max
Moisture 92.0% max
Emerald Entrée

Ingredients:
Water, Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Krill, Plankton, Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Spirulina Algae, Menhaden Oil, Sodium Alginate, Vitamin Premix: Wheat Flour, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Inositol, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Betaine, D-Alpha Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 6.2% min
Fat 1.2% min
Fiber 0.5% max
Moisture 90.0% max
Squid™

Ingredients: Squid, Water and Carrageenan.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 10.5% min
Fat 0.4% min
Fiber 0.5% max
Moisture 88.7% max
Feeding Instructions: Feed often, but only what your fish will consume in three minutes. Remove any uneaten food. Never overfeed. Keep unused portion in your freezer.

For: All saltwater fish including Angelfish, Butterflyfish, Damselfish, Clownfish, Groupers, Eels, and Tangs.

FAQs Regarding San Francisco Bay Brand Fish Food

Why should I feed my fish San Francisco Bay Brand Tropical fish Food?

All natural, no additives or fillers.
Nutritionally complete, excellent main diet, supplement or treat.
Our fresh ingredients retain a natural appearance and scent to entice finicky eaters.
Free of harmful parasites and harmful bacteria.
Our high quality control exceeds industry standards.
Convenient packaging/easy to use.
State of the art enriching techniques.
For over 30 years, San Francisco Bay Brand has been widely recognized as the food of choice for fresh and saltwater fish.
Why should I feed my fish San Francisco Bay Brand frozen fish food?

All natural, no additives or fillers.
Our product uses algin, an essential carbohydrate, as a binder, which does not require heating to be activated, ensuring all essential nutrients are available to the fish.
Frozen foods allow fish to feed at their natural feeding levels. Fish that eat well are in better health and are more resistant to disease and stress in the aquarium environment.
Our fresh ingredients retain a natural appearance and scent to entice finicky eaters.
Free of harmful parasites and harmful bacteria.
Our cube packaging ensures freshness and prevents freezer-burn. The smaller portion gives less chance for overfeeding.
Better water quality in the aquarium due to a smaller amount of digested fecal matter being excreted by the fish.
From an aquarist's point of view, frozen fish foods create a feeding frenzy and it is fun to watch the fish eat.
Perhaps the most important aspect of preparing frozen fish foods is the freezing technique itself. Our freezing process uses liquid carbon dioxide at -85°F (-65°C). Freezing at such low temperatures improves product quality by the formation of smaller sized ice crystals. Small ice crystals do not puncture the cell membranes as larger crystals do, so leaching of nutrients upon thawing is minimized.
What do I do if frozen fish food thaws?

Use of Frozen Fish Food That Has Thawed:

You may safely refreeze some foods that still contain ice crystals and are cold to the touch or if they have been kept below 45 degrees F for no more than 2 hours. If the temperature is above 45 degrees F, THROW IT OUT.
Treat completely thawed foods as follows:

These foods are perishable. DO NOT refreeze thawed fish food. Spoilage may begin before bad odors develop and may be toxic. Refreeze fish food only if ice crystals remain throughout the package. If you question the condition, THROW IT OUT.
DO NOT use if odor is offensive or if the freezer temperature has exceeded 45 degrees F for 2 hours or longer, THROW IT OUT.
Use common sense: If any foods have an offensive or questionable odor, DO NOT feed them to your fish.

jimv

I was not trying to portray the product in a bad light. I have been feeding other San Fransisco bay products with out an issue. Only emerald entree one has caused the skimmer to act up like it did. After 6 full skimmer cups it settled down. I can't monitor the tank that closely so I will not feeding it again for now. Do you rinse it before feeding?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nope - I hold a cube in front of a powerhead to thaw & let it disperse through out the whole tank - not trying to change your mind on it or suggest you should continue to use it, just wanted to add my experience with it. Cheers & thanks for the reviews on the skimmer - have been enjoying your post !

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok I'm going to add my salt's worth to the issue of over skimming and food stuffs.

The only thing apart from an obvious adjustment (even if not intended like a Venturi or air intake blocking) of a protein skimmer that alters the performance is altering the actual surface tension of the seawater itself.

How many times have folks noticed after getting in your system to move something or add something like even livestock the skimmer gets knocked flat and takes an hour or so to recover? This can be caused by the fat given off from your skin, there are also foods and additives that can kill a skimmer's foam production in seconds, I'll add a word of warning here as well, don't ever use vasealine to lubricate O rings on skimmer's or you'll wait a month for your skimmer to produce foam again.

Likewise, some foods can have a massive effect on skimmer foam production, these foods alter the surface tension of the foam bubbles, the bubbles form and stay formed as they take up organics and this can lead to overskim, clean organic free water bubbles colapse imediately, try feeding some of our Reef Energy A without turning the skimmer off and see what happens, ( get a mop just in case!!!) boom! the skimmer will foam like crazy, again we have altered the surface tension of the water by adding food.

Another one to watch for, there are some salts out there (and no I won't mention any names for obvious reasons) that have chelating agents in them, this is added to assist in the removal of certain impurities, they also help inefficient skimmers however use this salt with a good efficent skimmer and hey presto over skim like crazy.

I am not here to point a finger at any food stuffs as being faulty but to suggest there are very many reasons why a good skimmer will sometimes over skim.

A little time and a little adjustment maybe all that is needed to get the skimmer back on track again. :)

slfcaptain

Its been about three weeks for me and everything has settled down nicely. I get about a half a cup of skimmate a day and interstingly it most of it seems to be produced at night. Very happy with the upgrade so far.

Thanks Kevin!

Jim, I feed reef frenzy and if I leave the skimmer on it goes nuts. But I usually turn the skimmer and main return pump off for 30-60min to give everything a chance to eat. My candy cane will extend its feeding tenticals so it must be getting some of the finer particles that the skimmer could pull out.

steve

saltfan

I turn pumps and skimmer of when feeding for 45 min. The only over skim I get is after a water change ( kind of strange ) so I also leave the skimmer off for 30 min after water change. So far love it great upgrade!

jimv

I'm not getting any micro bubbles. I don't think it will work with the media rack. The c series tank comes with one but the rear chamber configuration is not the same.

slfcaptain

What dud you guys do about the black sponge? The new skimmer pump sits a little higher so a full size sponge doesnt fit. I have one cut in half that I use with a poly pad on top. Just curious what you did.

steve

jimv

I used a half sponge, I have not been using the poly at all. Even with the old skimmer I was only using a half sponge and I had my carbon and pureigen under it. Now I had to move the carbon to the cod.

finally got my upgrade skimmer installed today, have to admit i have not had so much time lately to convert the setup of what i was running previously. will definitely agree that it runs quieter than the previous stock skimmer and even though its just overflowing for the momment, i can already tell that it outperforms the stock one also. its nice to see the level in the rear chamber doesnt have such a dramatic effect on the skimmate production!

will post updates when it stops overflowing, thanks kevin!

still having problems with this skimmer,
it just wants to overflow with a wet skim even with the air valve barely cracked.
ive tried adjusting the water level in the rear by using the surface skimmer, but it still just overflows.

any ideas :dunno:

slfcaptain

Try taking the air valve off. When I took mine off it settled down.

What level do you have the water at? Mine is a little below the skimmer gate, a little below the fifth line from the top of the water level window on the side of the tank.

How long have you had it running? It does take a little time to break in.

steve