Red Sea MSK 600 Skimmer (review)

saltfan

Well I was approached by Kevin from Red Sea and asked if Id be interested in checking out the new MSK 600 skimmer for the RSM 130 and 130d (upgrade from the original ) and give my unbiased opinion, so I of course said sure. It was about 2 mo. later (due to technical issues on there end being a new product) and I received the skimmer. It has now been installed for 7 days. Have lots to say but will start with the un-boxing and a short vid. Please bear with me as this is the first time I have been asked to do a product review. More pics and videos to come. Please excuse my poor pics and vid quality.

Un-boxing
DSCF5482_zps63863dca.jpg

DSCF5483_zps4b3d6256.jpg

DSCF5484_zps49b8eaa7.jpg

DSCF5491_zpsb94f0213.jpg

DSCF5494_zpsf907fb05.jpg

DSCF5497_zps91eb0c83.jpg

DSCF5503_zpsed5cc37a.jpg

Video
[video=youtube;K7SKKhKkzvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SKKhKkzvU[/video]

Last edited:

slfcaptain

I am glad you posted this. I have the skimmer too and it is in the process of breaking in. I was waiting for it to break in before posting but I will say that it is significantly quiter. It is producing a lot of wet skimmate right now but I think it will break in soon.

steve

jimv

I have had my hands on one for about a week as well but was out if town and just got it dialed in a couple of days ago. So far it out performs my original 130 skimmer by far. Great job on the unboxing! Very quiet.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

saltfan

Sorry for the sideways vid reefjunkie.. Skimmer is very quiet. On day one it just wanted to over flow with the air valve just cracked open untill I reduced water level in the back and had a lot of micro bubbles. day 2 air valve about 1/4 open with wet skim and micro bubbles day 3 air valve 3/4 open minimal bubbles day 4 removed air valve 0 micro bubbles and a nice skim on day 8 now and still very quiet and working great. Again sorry for the pic and vid quality.

Day 1
DSCF5508_zpsa36f363e.jpg

Day 2
DSCF5517_zps0e5f639c.jpg

Day3
DSCF5518_zps0a9155c3.jpg

Day 4
DSCF5524_zpsdafc14ac.jpg

Vid day 6

[video=youtube;5AYA3iJHKJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AYA3iJHKJM[/video]

Last edited:

slfcaptain

That's pretty low. I am not sure I can get my ATO sensor that low. I'll have to fiddle with it tonight.

steve

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks like the skimmer neck is like the 130, not adjustable (unlike the 130D) is this right?

Great post everyone - keep the reviews coming !

Will be a bit interesting on the optimal water levels and micro-bubbles... as the 130 gate & the 130D surface skimmer cup always made the water levels a bit different in the back from the 130 to the 130D.

Hopefully this new skimmer will be better than any skimmer ever... for a 130 & 130D tanks

as they break in over the next few weeks, keep us updated ! :)

saltfan

Yes nano you are right the skimmer neck is not adjustable, there is a adjustable skimmer gate on the left side of the skimmer that you use to raise or lower the water level in the skimmer I think you can see in the 1st vid. Came home today and all is well cant believe how clear it is its as if theres no water and the fish are just suspended in air...lol

Day 8

DSCF5531_zps8515f792.jpg

DSCF5532_zps88b21d5b.jpg

DSCF5533_zps0ad0e1da.jpg

slfcaptain

Saltfan, do you have an ATO (tunze)? If you do, I am curious how the sensor placement is working with the new skimmer.

steve

saltfan

Saltfan, do you have an ATO (tunze)? If you do, I am curious how the sensor placement is working with the new skimmer.

steve

I do not have an Tunze ATO on here yet but you should be fine ( tunze 3152 ) this is how my chamber looks now, but will probable change in the next week or two as the skimmer really breaks in.

DSCF5536_zps64b3a6f5.jpg

slfcaptain

Right now the water level in the back wants to be at the fourth line from the top looking through the side glass. Any higher and the skimmer overflows. At that level I cant get the sensor holder low enough.

steve

saltfan

Dont have a side glass since mine is a 130, with the upgraded surface skimmer cup. I suggest not using the ATO until you get the levels right. My tank level is right at the beauty rim, surface skimmer cup just over 1/2 full and rear chamber as like my last pic. I was a bit frustrated the first 2 days until I figured out the correct levels. now workin great but may need to change the levels as the skimmer breaks in further, be patient I tried several diff levels till I found the right level.

jimv

My skimmer has started to settle down so I raised the skimmer gate up. I assume raising the water level up would accomplish the same thing.

saltfan

My skimmer has started to settle down so I raised the skimmer gate up. I assume raising the water level up would accomplish the same thing.

The same thing as what? Do not raise the skimmer gate up until you are able to run with the air valve removed...

jimv

Raising the gate raises the water level in the skimmer body as does raising the water in the rear chamber. On 2nd thought raising the gate will keep the water level steady even if you have evaporation so it would be better to raise the level to the desired height with the gate. As per the manual the water should be level with the bottom of the skimmer cup but I have not been able to achieve that without over flowing. I started with the gate in the bottom position and have been able to move it up about 3/4 of an inch.

saltfan

I believe you will find that when the manual says the water level should be level with the bottom of the skimmer cup its referring to the bubbles with full air or as much air as you can until it breaks in. If I turn my air all the way off the water level in the skimmer is below the bottom of the skimmer cup. My gate is still in lowest position for now. AtleastThats how mines set up and seems to be working well. Hope this helps.

jimv

This might be a silly question but now that I have a skimmer that that works efficiently I fill approximately half of the skimmer cup a day, will this not dilute the salinity in the tank as I top up with RO water? Should I be adding an equivalent amount of salt water to the amount that I discard from the skimmer cup? I will start monitoring my salinity more closely but just wanted to check to see out others handle this.

slfcaptain

If you dont add saltwater then the salinity will slowly drift down. It might be an acceptable amount between water changes but you should monitor the salinity to see how much of a drop. Maybe halfway between water changes you'll have to add a little saltwater.

steve