raw shrimp as food?

nightfire76

hey guys i saw at a local store raw...not cooked...raw shrimp....do ya guys think thats ok to feed fish,after all it is a natural marine food,was asking cause it is lots cheaper then normal frozen fish foods,i dont think i'd just use that as food mind you but in addition to the normal frozen foods we'd normally use....thanks for the advice guys/gals

sambrinar

It is perfectly fine.. I use it in my mush all the time... soak it in ro water for 10 minutes.. de-shell and de-tail.. chop it up and toss it in the freezer for later use.. I also mix it with scallops, muscles. oysters, clams from the deli as well after soaking for 10 minutes in ro water

nightfire76

i was thinking its ok,wouldnt it be faster to rinse it then to toss it in a blender and have it chop it up a few times then re freez it?

BigJay

the problem with the blender is controlling the size of the chop. You don't want it to become liquified or its just fertilizer for algae. I prefer to hand chop all of my seafood for our home made fish food.

sambrinar

I agree with BigJay... I have a very small food processor that is dedicated to the fish food... I don't think I would want to reuse the blender for like a milk shake or something... but that's just me :D

AndtheBonus

Hmm good idea I might have to try making some food for my fish too! Could save on a couple dollars here and there!

Bigjacko

I buy fresh King Prawn's when they are on specials at my local supermarket.

I feed my Elegance, Euphilia and octobubble with them with no problems.....other than the fish trying to steal the pieces.

BigJay

Hmm good idea I might have to try making some food for my fish too! Could save on a couple dollars here and there!

Just a little embarrasing going to the seafood counter and asking for 2 shrimp , one oyster , 2 clams, one small fillet .. lol . I add mysis and selcon to mine. I am getting on the oyster egg train too for SPS so thats another thing you can throw in. I don't think its much cheaper but you know exactly what your tank is getting.

Rhodes19

I agree with BigJay... I have a very small food processor that is dedicated to the fish food... I don't think I would want to reuse the blender for like a milk shake or something... but that's just me :D

Sure you can. Just call it a protein shake! LOL :D

nightfire76

I don't think its much cheaper but you know exactly what your tank is getting.
of course it's cheaper then buying the frozen stuff they sell at a LFS or online,it's up to you on how cheap or expensive you make it,just like our hobby here......for 4 bucks i can buy 50 large raw shrimp.....some frozen packs of fish food are 20 bucks,so that leaves ya alot of savings or room to add to that mix ya make before ya get to 20 bucks plus in most cases you'll have a bigger amount of food after ya make it ya self....all depends on the prices of course

BigJay

yeah thats true. I don't just use shrimp and thats probably why mine costs so much. The selcon and oyster eggs are very expensive, so if you left those out I guess it'd be pretty cheap.
One of the hardest parts is not making too much.

rmlevasseur

If you have a supermarket that offers fresh seafood, then all of it makes a superior food for your fish. However, some stores, like a Walmart, offer fresh seafood that is actually preserved with a phosphate. You should try to avoid this if possible.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Its more expensive, but I feed Rods. It has selcon and oyster eggs and golden pearls in it; and no PO4.

I also like to use frozen krill. Some animals like anemones get vital mineral nutrition from internal organs, so whole foods is better for them than chopped up foods. If your not feeding a nem probably matters less; I am admittedly biased in that direction

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just a little embarrasing going to the seafood counter and asking for 2 shrimp , one oyster , 2 clams, one small fillet .. lol . I add mysis and selcon to mine. I am getting on the oyster egg train too for SPS so thats another thing you can throw in. I don't think its much cheaper but you know exactly what your tank is getting.

I always had skimmer problems when I used selcon. It breaks the water tension causing the skimmer to loose it's head for a few hours. Does this happen to you BigJay?

BigJay

I always had skimmer problems when I used selcon. It breaks the water tension causing the skimmer to loose it's head for a few hours. Does this happen to you BigJay?

yeah when dosing it directly to my tank it does. It seemed to be less of a problem when soaked into the food then refrozen. When putting it in the food I don't use much either.