Raising Hippocampus erectus (seahorses)!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
17 days ago my erectus had a successful egg transfer! :clink:

Yesterday, the male gave birth! :clink:

CLICK on the video below to watch!! :)

20100925erectusbirthing_19_.jpg

Here are a few photos of the babies :clink:

Newborn
20100925erectusbirthing_18_.jpg

20100925erectusbirthing_4_.jpg

A few hours old and with a full tummy already!
20100925newbornerectus-1.jpg

An undeveloped/unfertilized egg
20100925erectusbirthing_2_.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yes, I moved the male & female to a birthing tank. The male is MUCH happier with her there.

Corailline

Did he appear stressed without her there ? And how did it manifest ?

Sorry for all the questions, but it has been along time since I attempted to keep seahorses (1970).

Congradualations, if must be very rewarding to see your experience and hardwork pay off.

JandR

Grats Doni!!!! That are soooooo cute!!! How old will they be before you will be able to sell them? Also how many did he have?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Did he appear stressed without her there ? And how did it manifest ?

Sorry for all the questions, but it has been along time since I attempted to keep seahorses (1970).

Congradualations, if must be very rewarding to see your experience and hardwork pay off.

He was pacing the tank and appeared very nervous but as soon as I added her, he courted her and hitched beside her like normal :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Grats Doni!!!! That are soooooo cute!!! How old will they be before you will be able to sell them? Also how many did he have?

Thanks. Around 4-5 months old they will be sellable :)
I am not sure how many but I'm guessing 200?

Reddog170

This is so cool. I wonder about breeding our sea creatures. Doni you have a gift there. Great work, will follow along. Shaun

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone :)
Mr. Green Jeans birthed again a few days ago :eek: at 74 deg, he births every 16-17 days. He of course gets pregnant quickly within 24 hours!
I have to hatch a lot of BS daily!

JandR

Aww yay grats!! I want one eventually =} so when they hatch are you just feeding baby brine shrimp or do they eat the rotifers too?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
They are lage enough to eat BBS although they might eat rotifers. I only offer them BBS.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
20 gallon with a trickle flow through to a larger 300+ gallon system (sump, refugium, 57watt UV).
I have also ordered a small UV filter to place inside the 20 gallon tank.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
wow amazing, congrats :)

how far are you with the fry ? are they still alive ?

if they are already hitching, then its time to feed them adult Brine shrimp enriched. I find beta glucan and Dan's formula from the org site very helpfull in letting the fry mature faster and ... . you need to enrich it, for 12 hours, twice, changing the water in between to get the max proteins into the BB and fry eventually.

please post a pic of the nursery tank if you can, Im sure many would enjoy it/ learn from it. the UV will help alot specially with possible Hydroids.