Quick hello ....

ReefLady

Staff member
Was just browsing the site - looks wonderful! Very nice to see a lot of familiar faces still here - and many new ones as well.

Quick update on our tank situation...

We made the decision to move away from sps - we couldn't keep up with the growth, and had no means by which to ship frags. The electricity was killing us with the setup we had, and after having a sps dominated tank for a couple years, we truthfully lost interest. We were also fighting a losing battle with 'shrooms and polyps on the rocks. Decided to start over from scratch (always an adventure). Broke down the tank entirely, removed the DSB (yes, really). Moved the fishy crew to the old 75g. Gave away every sps that was still thriving, threw the zo & ric frags into the refugium, and boiled every last piece of LR - MI, Fiji, you name it. Been fighting mushrooms for years, and we were done with the battle. I won't begin to tell you what boiling over 200 lbs of LR made my house smell like. ;-)

Unfortunately, we lost our 2 Percs & our Purple Tang (both with us 7 years). Still have the YT & monster brittle stars (same age). These guys have been through hell & back more than once!

We also broke down both the frag tank & the 'fuge, and are running just the main tank & sump (still plumbed in the basement). Hubby (re) built the skimmer, and built a new calcium reactor and a new kalk reactor, so the mechanical side is good.

We've got all the rock back in (been up about a month now), and have the YT & a cool Vlamingi. Not much of a reef yet - salvaged a purple gorg, a plate coral, bought a small frogspawn.

That's about it - so no pics yet - it ain't pretty!

I miss everyone here; life has been extremely busy. In the last year, I've had to travel a lot for my job, and have tried to dedicate the remaining time to my family, so PC time has been scarce. I still seem to be working 60-70 hours/week, but that will be winding down in a couple months.

Hopefully I'll be able to spend a bit more time here. I miss everyone, and I have to say - I'm truly out of touch with the reefing world! I'm assuming DSB's are no longer in 'vogue'?

Well, so much for a quick hello. I hope everyone is doing well.

:whstlr:

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:hallo: Hey Teri!! It is great to see you :) I know exactly how you feel about 'mushroom invasions' :rolleyes: I can not get rid of the hairy shrooms in my reef and I have tried EVERYTHING short of boiling the rocks....

That is exciting about your new set up! Looking forward to seeing pics and watching it grow out!

Hope to see ya around more~

Gina

RS STAFF
Hi Teri!
It's good to see you back around! Alot of the same old group is still here and lots of new members.
Sometimes life makes it's turn and you have to reorganize.
Looking forward to seeing your new tank set up.
We've missed you!

Annie742

Hiya Reeflady! :) I'm sure you don't remember me, but you are one of the ones who helped me out A LOT with my last set up when I was lost LOL.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Hiya Teri great to hear from ya !!!
Wow you broke down the tank...did you ever try to reduce the photoperiod ? I don't remember were you running 400 watters ? Are you going BB ?

Icebox

Wow, RL, It is so great to see your Eye in a thread again. I can not believe you tore down your tank... Cooked your rock, and are starting over. That is major reconstructive surgery.

(I have thought about you often lately. I have used your website as a guide for a lot of things as I have been assembling my 180.)

Good luck with work and do not forget to smell the flowers. :-D

ReefLady

Staff member
Wow, thank you so much for the warm welcome back - much appreciated.

More reef tales to tell soon, for sure.

Annie - yes I do remember you; so glad I could help.

Cheeks - we had 3 x 250w Iwasakis, and 4 x 6' VHO's. The tank definitely overgrew itself, but the mushrooms were our biggest enemy.
We've got about a 1/4" of aragonite for aesthetics - easily removed if it becomes a problem.

Icebox - I can't believe I cooked all that rock either. Can you believe we boiled the rock, set it outside for a couple days (think February in NH), and when we put it back in, a couple 'shrooms reappeared?

Taking it slow this time, aiming for the low/no maintenance tank (as usual), but less electricity bills, and less overall "attention" required. Probably zo's, LPS, and fish. I feel like I've walked around the block, and I'm back at square one. Just want a tank I can enjoy - not one that consumes my time.

Boomer - Travis & I touch base from time to time - he's always nudged me (gently) ;-) to come back. For a long time, I felt that I really had nothing further to offer - still not sure that I do (I'm definitely behind the 8 ball in the reefing scene), but I've just really missed everyone here.

BoomerD

For a long time, I felt that I really had nothing further to offer - still not sure that I do (I'm definitely behind the 8 ball in the reefing scene), but I've just really missed everyone here.

Come on Teri, if you remember, most of us followed YOU here from "that other place"...and we're glad you're back...

Oh, btw, PLEASE call me BoomerD...I'd hate for anyone to somehow get me confused with that "other Boomer"...You know, the fellow who actually knows stuff...unlike me...

blue_eyes53813

HI Reeflady , Glad you stopped by.... Your help,ideas and experiences in reef keeping is always needed. You were a great help to me as well. Glad to hear from you..

jimeluiz

Let me add my smilies to the welcome back chorus.

:heart: :heart: :heart: great to hear from you. I have missed your encouraging and thoughtful words.

I hope you find the chance to stop by often. And do start a tank chronicle so we can follow your progress.

:wave:

ReefLady

Staff member
Great to see you Teri, y'know, one of the great things about RS has always been (and you know this) that our members are great, caring folks who share in a common interest... regardless of their expertise.

Besides, if anyone here saw my tank right now, there'd be mutiny. ;)

Glad to hear you're well.

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks again everyone - I can't tell you how much the warm welcome means.

Travis - so good to see you. What's up with the tank?

Jimeluiz ~ I'll start a chronicle, but no pics until it looks better. I'll admit it'll likely be boring - this will be a very slow undertaking.

Good to see everyone!

Witfull

um,,teri,,,its the beginning to end that makes it fun,,we get to watch it grow with you,,,,PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!!!