Question of the week: July 30th, 2012

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The "Question of the week" for this week is:

jspb_dominican_120.jpg

If money wasn't a consideration, what size and type of system would you have in your current home? Don't say "The Georgia Aquarium" LOL! Seriously in your current home what would you have if you didn't have to pay for the tank or the equipment?

Willie McDaries

I already have a bigger tank than my house should have in it and there's no more room for an upgrade LOL

I would like to replace all the equipment with lower power consumption stuff though....

if money was no object,I'd do all vortech pumps in place of my CL,LED lighting instead of MHs,and a big honking Profilux ultimate controller system to have the thunder and lightening storm LOL

IMG_2795.jpg

300 gallon deep reef.
All the latest tech and a huge refugium system in another room so the tank was super clean looking.

I would go bigger but my house isn't laid out right for it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would do (and better yet plan on it) a pair of tanks covering the corner of a wall. One tank full reef at 240g with LED all the way. The other one will be a long 150ish Fish Only and lit by LED but not "Reef Capable" LED.

The system will be supported by a 150g tub for a sump (downstairs) and a 150g tub for a fuge (downstairs) as well as a stand alone Frag System. All controlled by a ProfiLux of course LOL!

TheBishop

Not having to pay for tank and stuff is one thing, hours maintaining it are another, so I would want a manageable system. Probably 150 gallons with 100 gallon sump, with a DIY LED system with a couple of Halides ( i like doing things myself)
Vortex MP40 with controller and the most expensive coral and fish i can get my hands on

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm with TheBishop, it's the maintenance that would scare me. I'd love to have a 300g, but not sure I could get used to the huge water changes. Of course, I dreaded doing the water changes on my 65g and now that's not even a blip on my maintenance routine. Maybe it would become easy.

foxsavage

If I could afford it I would get an 8x3x2 peninsula tank with Maxspect LED, all Tunze pumps and Profilux Controller . I have an area that has concrete floor and would fit that size tank perfectly. The big thing for me with that size tank would be the monthly power and supplies cost, I already have the biggest tank I can afford the monthly cost of.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would have 2, 245 gallon tanks 8'x2'x2' powered by vortech mp60s and GHL Led lighting along with a 5' long frag tank all tied into a 200 gallon sump located in my fishroom. There would be a calcium reactor rated for upto 1200 gallons and I would have Devon build me an auto mixing and water change station thus keeping maintenance to a minimum. The one tank would be a full blown mixed reef while the other would be a FOWLR and the main attraction would be my 10" Queen Angel.

BLADEYAMAHA

I would have a 300 gallon DT with a 300 gallon Refugium and a 200 gallon sump. Along with a lot of goodies I just can't think of right now.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Here goes. 775 gallon dt. I have a 13 foot wall in the living room. I want it 24" -27 inches tall n 4 foot deep thru the wall and the corner. Center overflow. A mix of different lighting aimed all different directions to accommodate different coral placement. 200 gallon sump integrated algae scrubber or chaeto chamber. Are mermaids reef safe? I want a tank full of em.

...........mmmmmmm clams.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would love to have a large FO tank loaded with some rare Angelfish and Fairy Wrasses with all the latest energy efficient top of the line equipment and keep my current reef, nothing to large that would force me to dedicate more time to. Oh and the size would be 200 to 300 gal btw.

Willie McDaries

Not having to pay for tank and stuff is one thing, hours maintaining it are another, so I would want a manageable system. Probably 150 gallons with 100 gallon sump, with a DIY LED system with a couple of Halides ( i like doing things myself)
Vortex MP40 with controller and the most expensive coral and fish i can get my hands on

I'm with TheBishop, it's the maintenance that would scare me. I'd love to have a 300g, but not sure I could get used to the huge water changes. Of course, I dreaded doing the water changes on my 65g and now that's not even a blip on my maintenance routine. Maybe it would become easy.

maintenance really isn't that bad,it is at first when you have to do frequent water changes but as the tank matures,water changes aren't as bad,especially if you have the room for a water mixing/changing station where you just pump out old water and pump in new :D .....it is a lot more expensive buying salt and whatnot though...it does requires bigger buckets and a lot more towels LOL

lbiminiblue

I would have 2, 245 gallon tanks 8'x2'x2' powered by vortech mp60s and GHL Led lighting along with a 5' long frag tank all tied into a 200 gallon sump located in my fishroom. There would be a calcium reactor rated for upto 1200 gallons and I would have Devon build me an auto mixing and water change station thus keeping maintenance to a minimum. The one tank would be a full blown mixed reef while the other would be a FOWLR and the main attraction would be my 10" Queen Angel.

do they make automatic mixers? I'd probly have a tang tank, mostly Caribbean and maybe a 15 gallon blue ringed octopus tank and a little biocube reef with mandarins. I'd probly have a quarantine setup like JP's and maybe a 100 gallon refugium/ sump for all the tanks.

Willie McDaries

Here goes. 775 gallon dt. I have a 13 foot wall in the living room. I want it 24" -27 inches tall n 4 foot deep thru the wall and the corner. Center overflow. A mix of different lighting aimed all different directions to accommodate different coral placement. 200 gallon sump integrated algae scrubber or chaeto chamber. Are mermaids reef safe? I want a tank full of em.

...........mmmmmmm clams.

Matt,I assume you'd want the mythical mermaids and not the real ones,the real ones don't look nearly as nice :lol:

Are Mermaids Real? Never Before Seen Video of Body Found on Beach | NowPublic News Coverage

[video=youtube;UfPWHPyU1u4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UfPWHPyU1u4#![/video]

Last edited:

fishguy4

300 gallon reef filled with acros and softies and anythin colorful. big sump, big skimmer, calcium reactor, etc

and i would have someone come in and do maintenance and feed the fish and all that :D

Tokalosh

I'd go for wht I've got now....why?

Because that is the biggest tank I can fit in my little shoebox of a flat.

But when I move....... boy what fun I'm going to have upgrading.

Tok