Proximity and a Torch

KimPossible

How far do you keep your Torch away from other corals?
I had my Colt in the same place as the photo of the Riccordia. I moved it because it was shrinking. Once in it's new spot it returned to normal.
I moved the rock of Riccordia by the Torch....now.....it is behaving abnormally.
I am pretty sure that the sweeping tentacles are not stinging it.
I was wondering about maybe toxins that a Torch puts off that has adverse affects to corals within certain proximity of it.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Riccordia_1.jpg

Proximity.jpg

FishTales

That torch is definately sting you're ricordia , keep any & all corals from being touched by the torch , they can be a nusiance to any coral that they can touch

Dragon Wrasse

I have read a couple of articals on how a "chemical warfare" can occure between corals, even if they can't touch one another...if I can find the articals I will post them.....it was awhile back when I read them on the net???

KimPossible

Yeah, I think that is whats going on.
I know several members have Torches and was wondering if they have had similar situations.
I've spent way too much time just staring at the torch waiting to see if the sweeper comes down enough to sting...so far it hasn't happened because of the current around the it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ditto to FishTales. I've never had a problem with proximity of a torch, only from sweeping tenticles that actually touch another coral.

That 'new' spot looks low in the tank, do you think the shrinking could be from lack of light or water flow?

KimPossible

The only thing that changed in environment for my Colt was the addition of the Torch. I noticed a change in it shortly after the addition, first it was what appeared to be bleaching on the tips, then it started to shrink....and shrink...and shrink. I moved it and it took the spot where I had my Ricordia, so I swapped coral spots.

The Colt is recovering and is doing fine.

I'm starting to think that the Torch is just too large for my 55. The sweeper tenticles come out at times 4-6 inches beyond the others ~lol~ crazy....does yours do that too?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes! Loooong sweepers mine have! I had to devote the left half of my aquarium for my euphyllia corals... I have 5 colonies on that side. The sweepers are neat looking though :)

reefjitsu

If your torch is forming sweepers, then it is tasting something it doesn't like in your tank. Something in your tank has probably launched a chemical attack on it. The only response the torch has is to send out the sweepers. The torch that I have now has not made any sweepers since I stopped keeping it with leather corals. You might try running some carbon and perhaps a large water change to de-escalate the war in your tank.

Also, keep an eye on the sweepers after the lights go out. This is when they do their dirty work.

KimPossible

All the tentacles go in at night. When the lights come on in the am....tentacles start coming out again. Damn! I thought amount of flow played a roll in sweepers.
This is what my lfs told me.
BTW, when I do a water change this does nothing as far as bringing the sweepers in. I'll run some carbon tonight and pay close attention.
Do the tentacles get "stretched out" kinda like an over extended piece of elastic?

FishTales

You are right about the tenacles closing up at night Kim , the sweepers are only looking for food not because they tasted somthing they didn't like !

reefjitsu

Sweeper tentacles have nothing to do with food, they are for defense. They can sense other corals present in the tank, probably by detecting chemicals released by the corals. In other words, they can taste the other corals in the water. Soft corals like leathers use chemical warfare instead of sweeper tentacles.

Sweeper tentacles are specialized tentacles that extend further than the other normal feeding polyps of a coral. There are many corals which seem to possess this capability, but Euphyllia is conspicuous. The sweepers are noted for having more numerous and powerful nematocysts, which allow them to adopt a very powerful aggressive or defensive posture relative to other corals. Because of the intense competition for space on the reef, many corals have adopted methods by which to "stake a claim," and allow room for growth and expansion. These specialized tentacles are very adept at this purpose. Not only do the Euphyllia species form sweeper tentacles, they can form many long powerful sweeper tentacles. Oh sure, Galaxea is known for its sweeper tentacles, but those are mere long thin threads. The sweepers on Euphyllia and like spring loaded jack hammers. They can extend outwards up to 8 inches or more from the rest of the tentacle mass. If these tentacles come in contact with other corals, the nematocysts are numerous and strong enough to allow the end of the tentacle to stick to a nearby coral and remain there, causing significant localized damage. In fact watching a sweeper attach and kill a neighboring coral is similar to a lethal injection , with the coral pumping the nematocyts' poison like a deadly slow drip IV line into anything close enough to reach.
from http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0197/0197_2.html
and
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1988&articleid=2955

Witfull

as well as a defese mechanism,,,sweepers are also offensive. they clear territory for the coral to possess with out compitition. expanding its turf so to speak.

KimPossible

Well, chalk another stupid one up for me!
If I keep the Torch, it will be the only thing in the right 1/3 of my tank.
It's sweepers are insanely long for 55 gal tank.
What is irritating is that in stocking my enitire tank, I always started with corals a little more mature than a frag.....except for this. I aquired a beautiful specimen, healthy with eight heads and growing.

Incompatabilities may be indicated by a color change, such as the white discoloration of part of the finger leather coral on the left.

I noticed a change in my Colt shortly after the addition, first it was what appeared to be bleaching on the tips.

These tentacles also appear to be able to sense where the competitor is located in that, regardless of where I placed the Crystal coral relative to the Hammer coral, the sweeper tentacles always developed toward the Hammer coral.
I am experiencing this...I thought it was my imagination. However, the flow, which I thought played a roll in bringing these sweepers out, keep them flowing above the coral.

Ah ha!
In terms of water movement, they are slightly more specific. A forceful and especially linear current will prevent the polyps from fully opening.

Likewise, a stagnant current will not allow for full expansion. I have found that good lighting and random current seems to allow for the best growth and expansion of the different species. However, these are the same conditions that allow for the development of the sweeper tentacles.

Crap! My next decision, do I keep it. I realize I cant keep everything, but a peacefull tank is my ultimate accomplishment.

Last edited:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a similar experience Kim.
Here is my Frogspawn stinging the crap out of my Ricordea it also severaly damaged some Mushrooms I had. It has grown so large that anything around it is in danger.:rollingey
Is it possible for you to frag it ?

18140_4035.JPG

18140_4031.JPG