Protein skimmer advice

niagara135

I am running a Seaclone 100 protein skimmer on a 90 gallon tank. It seems to be doing alright (probably a little small for the tank), but I think this is the next thing I want to upgrade very shortly. My only problem is I cannot put the skimmer in the sump because of the way the stand is built and the size of the sump. I would probably have to go with a hang on back or totally external skimmer. Anybody got any good skimmer models I should go with? Any help appreciated.

jcoopergd

I use a remora pro with a mag 3 on a 40 gal, and its a little overkill,- but you may be able to pull off a remora pro with a mag 7 (although aqua c says mag 5 is the max, ive heard of others using the mag 7 with success)

j

BoomerD

I have used a Mag7 with the Remora Pro, and I agree that it's a bit too much. Mag5 is just right. IME, the Remora is about the best HOB skimmer you can get. Maybe a bit small for a 90, it's still about 10 times as good as the Sea Clown you're currently using.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree with them both. woodstocks tank is awesome and thats what she has on hers. Though if im not mistaken she has the mag 7 on it and thinks it runs better for her. Never had that skimmer (yet) but I thought id let you know what I have heard.

ldrhawke

I'd consider one of the pinwheel pump skimmers like ER or Deltec for an outside the sump skimmer. Pinwheel are efficient and easy to set up. Just buy the largest one you can fit and afford. If you have any SPS coral, you can't over skim.

Deltec

ER

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
FFrankie said:
I agree with them both. woodstocks tank is awesome and thats what she has on hers. Though if im not mistaken she has the mag 7 on it and thinks it runs better for her. Never had that skimmer (yet) but I thought id let you know what I have heard.

Thanks Frankie. Yep, I upgraded the mag 3 (350 gph) to a mag 7 (700 gph) and am very impressed with the increased skimmate it produces. It was skimming very well with the mag 3 but now it's about 3 x more skimmate. I had to raise the skimmate cup an inch just to keep it from overflowing the quart jar in less than a day (I keep it skimming wet/brown). I really like the idea of it skimming TWICE as much water every hour :)

I opted for the HOB remora pro to save room inside my sump. It takes up very little space and is a work horse! :)

mattie

RS Sponsor
just a thought
it seems to me that cost may be a big issue since you started out with the S C 100 hob which is a skimmer i like but it will not be near enough for a 90G once you put a few fish in it for cost you could easly add another one or the taller 150 model. which would give you the desired results by more than doubling your capacity
i have heard great comments about the remora skimmers just a mag drive is a little big to me to be vivisble in the tank compared to 2 small maxijets.
hope that helps
but you can always spend alot more money and get a sump like a 20g long an overflow box and big euroreef or asm skimmer in the sump and retrun pump

niagara135

Thanks for all the advice. I did some research and it looks like it will be a remorea pro. I would like to get a mag 7 and get the overflow box with it. As far as I can tell, I would rather go overkill than not enough as I currently have. So in a few weeks after I get back I will order one up.

jcoopergd

I dont know if the remora pro with a mag 7 is overkill - i think you might be able to pull it off, but its def not overkill.......spcieally since it seems like you have a sump too - what is your sump size? total water volume?

as far as the skimmer box - i do not use one, in fact there are simple mods (putting elbow in the uptake, to make the pump skim the surface) but i think the idea of hiding your mag pump is nice, i just didnt put one in, as i had a tank full of rock, and the skimmer box wouldnt fit...

my two cents

niagara135

I have a 30 gallon sump w/the 90 gallon tank. I might not need the box with it, but I think it will at least look a little better since it is going to be in view. I would rather just get it all at once than wish I did when I didn't.

niagara135

Just set up this evening the remora pro with a mag 7 and an overflow box. The overflow box was a little bigger than I expected, but I guess I will get used to it. While the remora is in the break in period I will continue to run the old seaclone. Thanks for all the help to everyone who responded.

livingreef2004

booooooooooo prizim booooooooooooooo not too bad if they were reliable and constant you have to watch thenm all the time to make sure they dont overflow. i had the big one the one THEY say is good for up to 300 gallons and it liked to overflow just out of the blue. ive never had a remora but ive heard no bad comments about them and a lot of good ones

but itf ya want a prizim pro i got one ill sell ya CHEAP lol

niagara135

The new skimmer has been working great for the last couple of weeks. I left the old Seaclone hooked up while the new remora was breaking in and to do a little test. The Seaclone basically stoped working once the remora was hooked up. In 2 weeks the Seaclone's cup never filled, while I had to empty the remora's cup at least once a day(it's also an extra tall collection cup). Money well spent on the Remora Pro!!!