Promoting ReefSanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Hello everyone.
ReefSanctuary offers something that no other aquarium enthusiast forum can offer. We have built a solid member base of knowledgeable and caring people. Our mods are top notch and always cater to us in the best interest of the forum. Which leaves me scratching my noggin as to why we have seen limited growth in the past few months.
With that said, I think it may be a good idea to think of other ways for this forum to thrive. Should we be thinking of ways to advertise the Sanctuary either in print or through link exchanges? In most cases, these things incur some cost. How do you suppose we go about raising funds to help our community grow? I certainly do not mind (and I am sure our other sponsors would not mind) donating my time or product to some sort of auction to help promote the site. Or perhaps we should pursue the idea of raising funds to benefit the protection of the reefs of the world. WWF? NOAA? Green Peace? What about a booth at IMAC or similar reefing venues?
I would love to hear feedback from my fellow sponsors and members on this subject.
Travis, Teri... Any thoughts?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Travis, Teri... Any thoughts?

That's the problem, well that and a couple other things. Teri hasn't been heard from in months, you've seen activity fall off during the same time period. No offense to Travis, he's a great guy and has done one hell of a job here and at rag before, keeping things going....but Teri is the light people are attracted to. There is also the issue of starting a forum with a well established member base, this forum never had to suffer the long slow months when you first start, till now. I think you have some good thoughts and they may help, the next contest could be a membership drive ;)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by reefrunner
I think you have some good thoughts and they may help, the next contest could be a membership drive ;)
We tried that with limited success. The member refferal contest netted a total of three referred members. I think we would benefit by promoting the site as a business rather than expend more time and money with contests. Or do both at the same time. Advertise the contests in either print or elsewhere to drive people to the site.

mkpaulson

I am glad you brought this up, I to have been a little concerned about the lack of activity on this board, but didn't have any ideas on how to increase traffic. but I would have to agree with reefrunner that the absence of Teri has a lot to do with the dropped in activity.

wooddood

the wood dude
:D umm teri who? oh that teri now i remember. the one we all supported to get this site going teri. yeah right.

dave.:rolleyes:

ReefLady

Staff member
I too have been concerned with the drop-off in activity, but over a longer period of time. However, some of the things that have happened recently certainly have not helped.

First and foremost, Teri's absence. I am under no disillusions about why this site exists and for whom the first members joined. It was always about Teri. The only reason I'm here was to help make that happen. I guess it was a little less than a year ago, when all the drama was happening and people were pushing Teri to start her own place. Teri was on the fence, worried she would be overwhelmed with all the work and acquisition of new knowledge of software, running a site, etc, etc. I told her, if it would help, and if she wanted, I would be her partner and we'd work together to make it happen. We did. What Teri had in heart and soul, I tried to match with some creative ideas, hard work, dedication and going in with a strong sense of what's right and what's wrong and ideals that I would guide the place toward at all times- being straight with the members, acknowledging they were the reason for the place's existence, and never abandoning them.

Well, a lot has happened in the last year. I can honestly say I've followed those ideals and work ethics to the best of my ability. But in the end, I'm not the heart and soul you came for. I'm not Teri.

So, I watch the activity drop off. I do my best to keep things moving in the right direction. I do the best job I can do with what I was handed. But in the end, it won't be enough I fear. Solely because I'm not the person you came here for- I'm not Teri.

Well, I'm losing confidence that Teri will ever be back. With each passing day, and unreturned phone call or email, I wonder what happened. I've been completely up-front with everyone about this- she said she was busy with her new job, that's all I got so that's all the info you got.

So for those of you who feel abandoned, angry, and feel like something is really missing from this place, I couldn't mirror your emotions any more. I've been left holding something I don't feel I can make work, and that is more than I ever bargained for. But I won't abandon it.

If you want ideas about how to make RS more successful, which was the (very) constructive reason for this thread in the first place, I can tell you exactly what has to happen- people need to post. There's a saying in the world of advetising- Nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising. That partially holds true here. I think it;s a great place, not bad at all. But unless there's a healthy amount of activity, bringing people here will only show them how slow it is. Then they can click the someone's banner in their sig and go somewhere that has more action.

I'm always open to ideas, of course, but before any of this can work I think we've got to have lively discussion.

For whateve reason, that discussion has moved elsewhere. And if that's where people want to be, if another site suits their needs, I certainly don't blame them. There are lots of sites out there and only one will be perfect for most.

To wax sentimental for a moment, I've been thinking about this lately... maybe ReefSanctuary has run its course. Maybe it was there to help the displaced people after the RAG episode, which I think it did wonderfully. But those people aren't displaced anymore. They have found other places to go, or other hobbies. So maybe we've accomplished all we really need to. I won't, EVER, abandon this place as I've already said. So that will either make for a long, slow death or a triumphant comeback even without Teri. Whatever should happen, I guess, will.

For the record, I sent Teri an email and told her that if any part of her absence was because of me, that I would gladly stand aside if she would come back. That email received no response.

Travis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You are doing a great job Travis. THanks. I enjoy this site... I have learned a ton from everyone here and hope to continue learning! The atmosphere is awsome too!! I'll try to post more often :D

...i'd get a bumper sticker!! ;)

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Don't we have bumper stickers and t-shirts in the RS store?

I think everyone's just been too busy lately. A mass email should be sent out to all the members asking what they would like to see happen, and what would make this board more exciting.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but I feel like I should say this...I realize that we don't want to be like some other big boards... no names mentioned...cough, cough, RC, cough :D, but I know of a lot of people that left because the rules were to strict.

ReefLady

Staff member
Fidojoe, you won't find any disagreement from me there. However, we were all new at this and admittedly a bit overzealous. I do believe everyone has relaxed a bit. Actually, a lot. You often don't notice when things are *not* moderated, only when they are. I believe the last action by anyone was by me when people were bringing up bad RC blood over Playa's tank back when the hurricane hit and steering a thread off topic. I sent a warning and that was it. There are some boards that believe controversy is good for business. They're probably right, but it's really not good for the community.

As far as bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc... We don't need money. We don't need to make a profit at all, as long as we can pay the bills. What we really need is some life around here. That's my opinion anyway.

And thanks for those who've complimented me. I do appreciate it. I do my best, I realize sometimes it's not good enough. But my best is all I've got.

T

mps9506

Well, I came to stare at Travis's photo's :D
I'll be happy to support the site however needed. I like the community here. I think the combination of Teri's abscence, hurricanes and people relocating or going off to fight for the country has had quite a negative impact on the traffic on the site.
I wish I could suggest something good, but the fact of the matter is that my own store is going through the same thing right now. If I had an answer I would have lots more money right now :D
Anyways, Travis, have no doubts, you are doing a great job.
No doubt that there is a great base to work off of here, so eventually the traffic will increase. Personally, I'm happy with there not being 5 billion people registered here, just as long as RS can pay it's bills then I'm happy. If I can help any way let me know...
Mike

Gina

RS STAFF
Well, I for one will admit that I have not been posting as much as I used to but, it has not been for the lack of Teri. I have my own personal reasons I haven't been around too much. I will try and do alittle better in that department.

I would hate to see this site fade into the distance as, I have come to think of many of you as friends.

Travis, I think that you have done an excellent job as administrator of this site! Please continue the good work!

I do think the bumper stickers are a good idea but, how about adding the web address?

I know this may sound silly but, how about business type cards that as we are out in the public on a daily basis, we could hand them out to people?

As far as strictness goes, I think we do just fine.

wooddood

the wood dude
travis i hope you did'nt take my post wrong buddy i too feel like you run this site and do all you can to keep it going and i for one really appreciate that. yes its true that alot of came here because of teri and the circumstances that happened almost a year ago. but now we all know who has stepped up to the plate and grabbed the bull by the horns and ran with it, you my friend and i do appreciate that and thank you for it from the bottom of my heart travis. i dont want this site to go by the wayside either i love it here and dont really want to go anywhere else. i do go to different sites but this will always be my home. all good suggestions above and i'm all ears for anymore and will help anyway i can. we love ya travis so hold your head up high we'll help out anyway we can.

dave.

ScottT1980

I may have gotten out of the hobby for a bit, but RS still remains my homepage so I am "around." Candidly, I must admit though, that the discussions have greatly decreased (As Travis alluded to). I often post similar threads on various boards to get a more varied response, and I will get 10 replies eslewhere for every 1-2 here.

I don't really know how to change things other than to up the activity and ask pointed questions. I have seen our technical base (namely Mike/pooduck, Bommer, et al.) decrease their activity. I have also seen some fairly significant members leave over the past 4-5 months, for various reasons. Personally, I have been very busy and so I am just as guilty as the next in regards to inactivity.

Hopefully we can figure out something...

Take er easy
Scott T.

EdgeKrusher

I've been sooooo busy that I haven't found the time to post. I've missed this place, and terri also, but she's not the main reason I come here. I guess I haven't seen a decline since I haven't been here. There's also alot of bad stuff going on in this country and around the world, and I'm sure that's got some people preoccupied.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Well I think I will throw my two cents in. Teri hasnt posted in almost 6 months so I dont really think she pertains alot. Yes originally RS was setup by her for her and others that came from the RAG when Scrooge left. But the board has really stood on its feet with out her for a long time.
I think Keven hit the nail on the head. Most all boards go through a long slow early period when they first start up, this usually takes about a year, trust me I know, lol. RS skipped that because a large base of memers joined in the first few weeks, I would say its safe to R is in the funk right now.
I have been on and in many of these boards since their have been boards on the internet and you are going to see flux in the activity of the board. periods of high activity and slow as it builds and gains more and more members. eventually the board will reach a point when the base is large enough that the flux wont come into play any more.
I will tell the members that if it wasnt for the work of Travis this board would not be here..that I know for sure. Its easy to have an idea and to lay it on the table, but it takes alot more to make it come true. It takes alot of time and energy..and that is what Travis has done. SO travis LOOSE the I am not Teri comment!!!! Thank God your not or thier would be no one running the board.
On the rules thing, thier has to be rules or the clowns would just come in and take over and alienate the good members. To what degree is something the admin needs to keep his finger on.
I have to admit that the one thing that really bothers me about RS is the fact that the control of the board (domain name, server registry, bank accounts) are in the name and control of someone that has not been here in 6 months and has no interest in the board anymore. That fact that the light could be turned off at any moment puts a little damper on me to be adding more and more content and conversation.
I would only offer a small ammount of advice to you Travis in making RS continue and gain strength. Get control of the board so that it is safely in your hands and guarranteed for the members to always be here. Then run with it, get the adwords going again, put the sponcers back online, and begin generating what you know will make the board good. You already have great content and alot of concerned and helpful members and Mods...run with it.

MIke

jimeluiz

I'm grateful for this thread and glad to see everyone chiming in. I'm super grateful to you Travis for creating and maintaining such a comfortable site. And I miss Teri, but as Mike says, it's been so long it hardly matters as much as it did. And I worry that with all the "miss you Teri" sentiment we may be setting her up to face an uncomfortable - if reverant - dynamic upon her return.

I find myself 15 months into the hobby and feeling like I know enough that I don't need to post so many questions, but don't know enough to be a source of wisdom to others. So my sparse posting is mostly of the "here's what I do" type. Suits me fine.

I visit the site every day. Glad we're all here. But some days there are just a few posts all day long. Not sure what to do about that. But I'll be back tomorow.

Travis - you may not need $$ for the site, but you could always use some for your future college expenses for the kids. ;-) I'll say again that I think a calander featuring your amazing photos would sell the world around (and would drive traffic to this site.) Think about it. I'll buy four.

As for the 'rules' - thank goodness for the rules. As a member of the political 'radical fringe' of this country (apparently) I am THANKFUL that I can come here and share my enthusiasm for my hobby without having to deal with any unwanted static. This site is proof that we can all get along just fine.

Keep up the good work all. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.