powder blue behavor

Shells

Mornin guys!!
my powder blue has been acting sort of buligerent lately. Chasing
my blue tang away from food and accassionly, my coral beauty and
goby. (He leaves the majestic alone).

I'm thinking its because i've cut down on the food amount lately. I did that
because i thought i was overfeeding. But it appears
that i wasnt over feeding the powder blue.

Do you'll think his behavior is from me cuting back on
the food?? i started last night to give my usual amount.
I hope this is the cause and that he goes back to his
usual self.

any ideas?? :confused:

blue_eyes53813

I would guess probably the food too..Or fighting over a territory.. It will prob only get worse as it gets older... Good luck

nigle

Oi!

cut back on the food but keep feeding the dry seaweed, that amount that is uneaten is less 'bad' than the uneaten food.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
PBT can be very aggressive fish. I think it is a combination of disposition and hunger are making it act like that. How large is your tank? Tangs need not only lots of swimming room but also an area to have as 'their own'.

Shells

Woodstock said:
PBT can be very aggressive fish. I think it is a combination of disposition and hunger are making it act like that. How large is your tank? Tangs need not only lots of swimming room but also an area to have as 'their own'.

its a 150 gal.

the blue tang is a swimmer roamer and i think he may be causing the pbt
to be acting up on top of hunger. i'm goin home at lunch toda to check
on them. (right now i work 12 minutes away) i'm gonna pop a peice of
seaweed in there.

wish me luck guys, from the way he acted before, (alot calmer) i think its
a food issue. :)

blue_eyes53813

I have changed my feeding schedule for my tangs, I use to feed once a day. a pretty big feeding and now I split it up into 3-4 small feeding a day. I just make sure all fish get alittle each feeding.

Shells

i think i should do that as well, but i'm changing jobs starting the 10th and
working in Mobile, AL, which is an hour away?? right now my lights come on
at 9:00 and got off completely at 9:45.

i'm wondering if i need to change the photo period of the tank to compensate for that?? i'll get home around 5:15pm. I thought about
having the light come on at 6:00pm and go off at 6:00am?? that way
i could get in a couple of feedings instead of one bigger one??
:confused: :confused:

billyr98

My PBT is EVIL!!! Chases my yellow and kole and purple all over the place!

Didn't bother no one for 2 months though...

Shells

i dont know what to do. our pbt is still harrassing our blue tang! she is showing signs of stress, pale nose and under eyes....should i try and catch
the blue tang and put her in our 29gal???:confused::confused::help1::tears:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Shells said:
i dont know what to do. our pbt is still harrassing our blue tang! she is showing signs of stress, pale nose and under eyes....should i try and catch
the blue tang and put her in our 29gal???:confused::confused::help1::tears:

That's not a good sign. PBT's can become very aggressive as they mature and become established, I'm beginning to see the same behaviour with my Purple Tang. You may have a difficult choice to make, which one will you remove ??? If things don't change the Blue won't make it.

Shells

will the blue tang be ok in our 29 for a little while?? I dont know how we're
gonna catch her when she's hiding and darting in and out of the rock

i think a 29 is far too small for a tang of any size and if it is getting territorial it is to big for a 29 adult tangs need room

to get it out may be total tank teardown

but i reciently saw my buddy trap some fish with a soda bottle and some food
u gotta starve em for a couple days before u trap

i dont feed my reef fish at all they only get what they can steal from the corals

my tangs in my reef always graze on diff macros and there is enough microfauna to feed the two other fish

ive had the same problem sometime ago what i did was i bought 2 seprate clips for nori and put on on each side my PBT would have the larger of the two also i would give a small pinch of prime reef one at a time during the morning and feeded until they ate no more trust me you will get good at it when seeing when they are hungry or when they have had enough before you put more in that they wont eat then repeat it for dinner i feed mon-wed-fri then allilte on sat and sun and i switch from frozen to flakes every other time and different flakes and frozen everytime. you know like in a cycle if you get what i mean. as for the territory what i did for every tank that had different tangs in each i would move the rock around everytime moving their territory's each time it stopped them from fighting because they had no lines to follow before when i changed it it really worked great for me for all 3 tanks fro the whole time ive had tangs.

Shells

i've already got two separate clips. :( but thats a great idea about changin
the rock around, i thought about that yesterday.

at this point anything is worth a try. :)