Possible red bugs???

blue_eyes53813

I dont know for sure but I have noticed the last couple of weeks an over abundance of "pods" on my glass. It is crazy... Tiny tiny tiny barely visible bugs on the glass. A couple weeks ago I thought "yea a lot of new pods for my mandarin" and walked away.... Well I cleaned the tank today seeing more and more of these "pods" with closer inspection I noticed some of them (not all of them) have an orangish color to them.. Some are clear as can be and some are a light orange.. No way can i get a picture of these. Way to small. All acros are doing good... How in the world can I tell if these are red bugs? i will get a magnifying glass next time I go to the store and see if that helps. I cant even find a good picture on the net of a red bug... Would it be ok to treat the tank just incase???

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
This is a photo I took for a presentation:
RedBugs_Presentation.jpg

blue_eyes53813

Thanks Guys.. Great information... I am gonna turn off all PHs and inspect the acros... the bugs are not that bright in color... They are very tiny and hard to see too...

jski711

You might notice less pe if you have red bugs. They seem to like the smoother corals like granulosas and deepwater corals. Hth.

Jake

cbrownfish

Red bugs would primarily be on your Acros. They would be unlikely to be hanging out on your glass IMO. There are pod species that have a brown/tan color to them.

Al -- NO gas in Charlotte. The station near Coral Dynamics was lined up down the street this morning. I ran out to get some groceries for a camping trip with the kids and couldn't get to my neighborhood grocery because the police had the gas-station-mob-scene in that plaza roped off. Sheesh.

blue_eyes53813

Well I tryed to see if I could see any bugs on the acros and I couldnt see any. I want to look some more today but am on my way to sons Soccer tournaments today and may not be home till late,,

If these bugs all over the glass are not red bugs I still have no idea what they are. They may be baby pods. I was watching them last night and they are about the size of a pin head and clear to orange in color. and completly circular... I have hundreds-thousands of them. They are very fast moving. I will keep a close eye on them. I hope my mandarin is eating them..

blue_eyes53813

Well I am happy to say they are not red bugs.. I havent seen anymore and have inspected all acros... Must of been a huge pod celebration...

blue_eyes53813

Well Guys/gals..... I definitely have red bugs..... Not good.. I called my vet and am gonna treat the tank asap with interceptor... I have to check and see if this medication will mess with my zeovit product or cause any problems..

blue_eyes53813

From the zeovit site , So far it seems pretty simple to treat and shouldnt bother the corals or fish. It will kill shrimp and crabs. I dont have any shrimp right now and very few hermit crabs... I will have to think of a place for the few crabs I do have.......

Still planning this all out but I think I will need to do. 1 treatment once a week for the next 3 weeks... I think I just stick with my usual water change schedule and go on as normal.... ?? If anybody has had to treat these or has info please feel free to jump in here with info..

Still reading the link that Al posted above from Melevs site, Very good information..

blue_eyes53813

Thank You Stace, I dont really have much to take out... I might have a few hermits and snails. If I can catch them, You can have them... But I was actually just thinking the other day that I need to replenish my clean up crew.. I dont want your tank to get red bugs so hopefully they wont be on the cuc too??? I doubt it though..

blue_eyes53813

OK First Dose in at 11:35 a.m 12-31-08

Skimmer off and carbon out of the tank. oh man ......!!!! Cant look at the tank for awhile...