Poll:Salt? Fresh? Both? What do you keep?

Do you keep both types of tanks or only one?

• Salt and Fresh

Votes: 79 52.3%
  • Salt only-I don't like Fresh

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Salt only-I can't afford both/don't have space

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Fresh only, but looking to start a Salt

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Salt only, but looking to start a Fresh

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No tanks right now

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

gooch

I am looking into frogs in a vivarium with a waterfall and stream. Not sure if that counts. Also thinking about a 60 gallon fresh for cichlids. But my 400 reef needs to go up first.

Metal Militia

I'm fresh only for now until I can dig up some cash and feel confident enough to take the plunge into the wide world of reefing. Discus are amazing fish, I only have 3 at the moment, but at I plan on buying another 4 while they are still quite small. It's fun to watch them grow. So far the coolest thing I've seen go on in my tank is when my clown loach started to ride my stingray like some kind of underwater magic carpet. It was quite amazing as well as funny.

-Joe

Cougra

I started out with fresh and when I set up my saltwater tank I swore that I wouldn't go back to freshwater. :smirk: Two years after I set up my saltwater tank and made my resolution a friend literally dropped a beta off on my doorstep while I wasn't home in a little unfiltered bowl. I guess he didn't want to to have a discussion (AKA lecture) about responsibility and pets and hoped that I wouldn't figure out who's fish it was. :rolleyes: Of course I couldn't keep it in such as small inadiquate container so I got a little 5 gallon tank which was then upgraded to a 15 gallon tank. The 15 gallon tank somehow managed to considerably grow in size and numbers while I wasn't looking so I just had to add a few more fish to them.

Well, now when anyone asks why I went back to having freshwater tanks or so many, my friend gets 100% of the blame! He made me do it! :angel2:

WayneL333

I have a 180 reef tank and a 300 Arowana community tank. I started off with FW when I was young and I moved to SW when I got older.

tommyp

Do chickens count? I put their eggs in a bowl? LOL

wait.jpg

rckmtl

tommyp said:
Do chickens count? I put their eggs in a bowl? LOL

Hmmm.... Does the bowl have water in it?
lol, I think you just wanted an excuse to post your chicken picture! :D

tommyp

Yeah, you got me I really like the dirty buggers. LOL With all the reef tank stuff I don't think I could deal with a freshwater tank. A super sweet planted terrarium with frogs or something might be neat but it would have to be low maintence or actually no maintence. I don't have time for anything else except the reef tank.

WREKDYVR

Well, I think my Wife and I need some serious help!!!

Upstairs we have a 12 gal eclipse and a 30long. Both fw.

Downstairs we have a 30 Oceanic cube reef tank.

Outside we have a 425 gallon nano Koi pond.

In storage we have a 75 gallon, next springs reef project.

I've kept fish since I was 8, what can I say... It's an addiction.

hooterhead

salt only.

60 gallon cube: FOWLR

5 gallon: reef & seahorse

30 gallon hex: soon to be for seahorse/reef and a few more seahorses so Lela can have friends

10 gallon: fire belly toads. hope to plant it soon.

AW2EOD

I kept freshwater for many years, before starting salt.

I had a 32" South American Gar and an 18" Tiger Shovelnose cat. When I switched to salt, I donated both to the Shedd Aquarium, where I still see them, on a monthly basis (sometimes more), when I go.

I did keep one freshwater tank, that contained a 12 year old Arrowhead Puffer, who just recently passed away from old age.

apjunky

Had my 220 reef for over 2 years now . I have been kepping Koi for almost ten years . I started with an 800 gallon pond and then added a 8,000 gallon Koi pond .
pond-deck.jpg

Reefstick

I started with a 55G Planted tank, and I haven't been able to talk the wife into letting me break it down yet, she is kinda attached to the Angle fish in there. but I would love to just rip every plant out and throw them in the trash.....then again, during the few months of the year that the tank looks nice it is cool to see both the FW and the SW in the same room....Diversity I guess.

Angle.JPG

55FWplanted.JPG

Tank22.JPG

Last edited:

madhouse

I have my 75G SW tank

Then i have my 55G African Cichlid tank (great colors for freshwater fish)

Then i hae my 20g Planted tank.. (1 Discus, Endlers livebearers and Cardinal Tetras)

Herman

5 tanks total in our family farm of critters!
1 55gal SW is home too 2 red belly pacu that were so cute and tiny when we bought them now after 3 years they are monsters in need of a pond!(going to have to get off my duff and build it soon!)
2 oscars share the 55.
a 29 FW with a jack dempsey and a headstander.
a 10gal with a small green terror.
a salt 5gal eclipse with a extremly hostile purple crab!(former resident of our 55salt until one too many tankmates went MIA)
and of course our newest passion, out 55 salt with a yellow tang a hippo tang three golden damsel (devil) fish and one small clownfish along with countless small snails a sea star and a giant hermit who holds a masters degree in substrate dredging and cleaning!
most recently we added some zoo's on monday! (our first coral! and its doing great!!!)
I know they dont count as fish, but here on the farm (not realy a farm but somedays it fools me! we live in mid florida) we also have a quaker parrot, a dove and a australian shepard.

meandean45

A 90 gallon Reef and a 125 gallon planted Discus tank, Started with a goldfish years ago, and just can't stop!
Dean

SoliSteve

Been doing this for 40 years and while I kept Salts in the 70's and 80's, I also bred African Cichlids when they were the "other colorful" fish to keep. Got the Reef Bug in '97 and haven't stopped yet!