Phosban

Can someone explain how to use Phosban. I've seen it in stores in a round container, but never really read the back of it to see if it had instructions:eek:

Do I just stick it in with the charcoal that goes into the filter? Also, wanted to say that I had my first battle with an aiptasia today. I used the boiling hot water method, just to see if it would work, and the aip fell limp and floated to the top and I scooped it up with a turkey baster...hope that's the last I have to deal with that pain in the butt!

Thanks all!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Phosban comes with a media bag...follow the instructions. Place it in your sump, filter, or in a phosban reactor. Medium water flow through the bag works well. Just make sure the granules are not tumbling around or they'll disentigrate into a powder.

Good luck with the aiptasia battle. Let us know how the boiling water method works!

mps9506

I was not a big fan of the phosban reactor. I run mine passively in the sump and have found no major differences. If you use the phosban reactor make sure you use a very low flow powerhead and rinse the media well. I did that and still ended up with red in my tank...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
There is a trick to the phosban reactor... I use one and have yet to get a red smog in my tank.
On the directions that came with my Two Little Fishies reactor, it tells you how to successfully rinse the media. Basically, you load the media into the reactor and then run it for about 1-2 min in seperate container. I simply place the pump in a container of fresh water, turn it on and let the outlet run down the sink drain. Once it is running clear, mount it on your tank/sump.
Using the appropriate pump is critical. I use the Mini-jet 606 (dialed down just a hair) with great results.

I'm using Phosban in my tank. I don't have the reactor which is probably the most effective way to use it. I use the filter bag provided and like Mike, rinse it well. If you don't rinse it it will turn your water yellow for a day. No harm but not very visually appealing. I then place it in the direct path of flow in my hang on fuge. I think it's made difference in my tank. I've had no major algae outbreaks since using it and my phosphate test 0. But, I'm tempted to remove it for awhile and see if it really is responsible for the results.

Boomer posted a great a article on phosphates. Great reading and a good understanding of phosphate and how to control it. Here's the link:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php