PC Nerds Need Help

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
OK, I'm suppose to be kinda one but have never seen this before and it is kinda rare so I'm told. My cable company says it is not the line, the modem or the Ethernet but the PC "Internal Server". The cable guy doe not know what really causes this but say this..........

What happens. I'm here I can be here all day and no issue. I can usually go to other forums I've been on today and no issue. However, if I go to any of my favorites links it says Could not locate remote server Yet how can that be when I'm here or are RS posting with no issue. If I wait a few minutes then the links work. But sooner or later it is back to the same Could not locate remote server when I try a new link.

I'm told that the "internal server is letting out and taking in stored cache and is why I can be here. Hit a new website website without any real stored cache = Could not locate remote server then somehow it fixes its self for awhile and all website work. Once I get to a any website I can pretty much do anything on that site for as long a I want but again go to a new websiteCould not locate remote server. I have tried everything I know of. This started on Wednesday. Rebooting , unplugging modem or other tricks I know of do not work. I'm wondering going to a " Systems Restore Point" from say Monday would fix this. Even my-e-mail seems to act up from this "can't find server".

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I guess you can only log-in here then! :lol: It's god's way of telling you to give up the other forums! :D

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am by no means an internet nerd but this has helped with most issues here at work.
Deleting temp internet files often & setting 'stored history' to zero days.
You probably already do this but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

chipmunkofdoom2

I am indeed a PC nerd, but I might not be of much help here. One thing my networking professor taught us is that it's a miracle that anything on the Internet gets anywhere at all... and it is. That's part of the reason why a lot of connection related problems are so hard to diagnose.

One thing I think might be happening is something with the DNS cache.

Just a little background, DNS stands for Domain Name Server. The Internet operates with IP addresses, not the addresses we type in. That can get problematic for the human brain though.. what if every time you wanted to go to RS you had to type in 72.249.61.210 (which is RS's IP address)? It can be difficult to remember. To make this name association with numeric addresses possible, we rely on DNSs. Basically, when you type in a web address, your computer connects to a DNS server and finds out what IP matches with that address. The DNS gives your browser the IP and you connect to the site. Your computer saves DNS addresses to reduce the time it takes to browse the web and if this collection gets corrupted, a website changes their IP or some other error occurs, the cache on your computer will give you the wrong IP address and you won't be able to visit the site.

Does your IM client still work while you can't visit any pages but RS? If so, this is most likely what is happening. If you have XP, what you can do is either right click your wireless or wired network icon in the taskbar and select repair. That will clear the cache and could resolve the problem
If you don't want to disconnect from the network you can open the command prompt by going to Start> Run and type "cmd". Then type in

ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't work, let me know and we can try other things. Hardware and 3d graphics are my specialty unfortunately, so I'm not really an expert on the Internet.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Not to step on any toes but I use a sneaky lil program that runs on command (not installed) that will tell if there are any lil "hidden" gems running in the background causing "re-directs" and such.... Boomer PM me and I'll try to get you hooked up....

Boomer

Chip I know about those and that does not work. I have done the reapir thing and Run a few times. It was just down and said "Microsoft has found an issue it can not repair contact you internet provider". Now that is gone again and all works fine.................................. But now a few minutes has passed and it is back to the same. Something is turning this on and off. The links I was on work and new ones do not. I will tell you right now if I kill all my cache even RS will not work as I just did that.

Al send PM :) I have lots of background toys but maybe not yours.

CATALYST

What OS are you running? And what browser? Have you tried a different one? I think I had this problem with Vista...I have a mac now.

Boomer

No and no :) I have never had any issues with Vista, it runs like a watch for me :)

asp.net

What does that have to do with anything it is a website builder

This problem started all by itself

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm only a pretend pc nerd, and probably have no clue what I'm talking about, but this sounds like a problem I had a few years ago with the page file (or paging file, can't remember exactly). Have you tried Googling the message you are getting, or searching it on the Microsoft site (or even the MicrosoftSucks site?) :)

CATALYST

I had this problem and I'm trying to remember what I did. Something about .net and there was something about changing the ownership of a file or something.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Boomer, if you cannot resolve this problem I recommend going over to RC and PMing MiNdErAsR
He has been a huge help to me in the past~

CATALYST

Have you gone into the place where it stores all of your errors? Sometimes going through them and solving them will help too.

Boomer

Frank

If needed I'll let you know. Right now it has fixed itself so it seems. Last nigh and all day today, *so far* all is well. I think I found the issue and it goes like this.

Four days or so ago I put my HD in the sleep mode. When it does this it more or less disconnects by PC phone jack system. Last night I noticed something rather odd when I picked up that phone where it said the phone extension was in use. When I tried to use the phone there was not dial tone and the phone program did not come up on the screen. I took the HD out of sleep and rebooted the PC phone so it worked as it is suppose to and as of yet all day not issues as of yet. The odd thing is I have done this before with not such issue but then again the phone never said "phone extension in use". Maybe it did and I never noticed it because when ever this happens I just rebooted the PC right away and all is well. When the PC HD goes into sleep it disables the phone. The only way to get it to work again is to reboot the PC. This time, for 2-3 days, I never rebooted the PC as I forgot about the phone. This is the only thing that I have changed or done since this issue started on Wednesday.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Boomer I'm glad to see I'm not the only NERD around here :)

Good deal on figuring it out. Regardless of how you fixed it... it's FIXED :)

Job well done!! :D