OT: tonights Recipe

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Tonight was garlic and rosemary pork chops, red beans and rice, and a mix veggie with asparagus...

ChrisY

This is going to sound odd to some folks I am sure, but believe me, its a fantastic dish from the Philippines. I don't really measure but what I make is similar to this one. There are hundreds of different variations on this dish and no two are ever alike.

Kare-Kare (serves 6-8 people)

3 lbs of oxtail cut into 2" pieces
8 cups of water
1 small head of garlic, finely minced
1 cup chopped onion
4 Tbsp cooking oil
anatto water (to make: 2 Tbp anatto {also called achuete} seeds + 1/4 hot water then crush the seeds between your fingers and let sit for 20 mins, strain out the water and discard the seeds) *this is optional, its merely a coloring agent to give a bit of an orangish tint to the finished dish.
1/2 cup of raw rice, ground and then toasted in a pan till it started to smell nutty and begins to change from white to a light brown in color.
1 cup of peanut butter (yep, not a mistake its peanut butter.. Trust me :) )
1-2 japanese style eggplants (the long skinny type), cut into 1-2 inch chunks
10 chinese long beans. If you have never seen them they are at most asian markets, they look like green beans but are usually 12"-18" long, cut into 2" pieces.
5-6 baby Bok-choy, also cut into 2" pieces. (if you cant get baby bok choy, regular is fine, just the less of it to equal the same weight

Boil the oxtails in the 8 cups of water for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. (I shorten this by doing it in a pressure cooker). set the stock from the boil aside. Saute the garlic and onion in the oil in a large saucepan. Add the anatto water and the oxtails to the saucepan with the garlic and onions and bring to a boil. Stir in the toasted rice powder and peanut butter. Add 4 cups of the reserved broth from boiling the oxtails, the eggplant, green beans and bok choy. Mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with slt and pepper to taste.

Serve with steamed rice and if possible bagoong alamang or ginisang bagoong (its a fried shrimp paste used in many asian cultures)

For the adventurous out there I hope you try it. It is really good.

dmatt88

Oxtail. Hmmmmm.

I'm doing some Indiana chili done reefer style.

,......im Matt n i support this message

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Have this soup on the stove now - very cold day outside 24 F this morn - love the taste of the tarragon in it

Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup

Ingredients

1 pound bacon, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.

ChrisY

LOVE potato soup. its one of my most favorite soups of all time. I can tuck into a bowl or three of that on a winter night and it just feels like you are being hugged from the inside :)

Your recipe is very similar to mine Glenn. Instead of cilartro and tarragon, I usually go with thyme and a little bay leaf.

sk8rdn

Sorry, frozen pasta veggie with chicken from a bag. Cheap, quick and good. Daddy was lazy tonight!

ChrisY

Well, Ash Wednesday for us...
Not sure yet, but thinking about some paella or maybe a fish soup for us tonight.

Any suggestions?

ChrisY

Well, it looks like its going to be some pan fried bangus (milkfish) that my wife is making and I am making this... Hopefully it's done before Mass starts.

This wonderful main course, served with fresh French bread for dunking in the wine sauce is especially good on cool evenings. The garlic and wine in the sauce give a rich flavor that does not overpower the fish and clams. This recipe serves 6 people. Serve with a crisp light white wine.
[h=3]Prep Time: 20 minutes[/h][h=3]Cook Time: 30 minutes[/h][h=3]Total Time: 50 minutes[/h][h=3]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 1/2 baguette, thinly sliced (optional - for croutons)
  • 1/4-cup olive oil (plus 3-4 Tbsp for croutons)
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 2 1/4 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 2 in x 1 in pieces
  • 2 dozen small littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
  • 3 medium leeks, white and light green, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 tsp crumbled saffron threads
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup "Aioli", a garlic-mayonnaise sauce (see recipe link below)
[h=3]Preparation:[/h]This fish and clams recipe makes 6 servings.
Prepare the Alioli: Since alioli (garlic-mayonaise sauce) is mixed into this recipe. Prepare the alioli first. Click for alioli recipe. Add crushed peppers to the alioli to season it. If you would like to serve this dish with homemade croutons, brush both sides of the bread with a little olive oil and toast until golden. Lightly rub each crouton with the garlic clove.
Heat the 1/4-cup of olive oil in a large skillet. Sprinkle the fish with pepper, add it to the pan in an even layer and cook over moderately high heat until browned on one side. Turn the fish and add the clams, leeks, thyme, saffron, crushed red pepper and wine. Cover the skillet and cook until the clams open, about 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the alioli. Gently shake the skillet and stir the sauce with a wooden spoon until it thickens and coats the fish and clams. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.
Serve in warm shallow bowls. Sprinkle with the parsley. Garnish with the garlic croutons if desired.

dmatt88

Just finished making some clam chowder. My 2 boys got braces yesterday so its soup for a few days.

I'm Matt n I sometimes water my carpet.

dmatt88

Good recipe too. 2 sticks butter melted add onions and celery. When clear add a cup of flour n stir. Heat the clams n clam juice (probably a qt of juice. 6 cans of clams. Boil a few lbs potatoes. After the onion mix has cooled slowly add clams n juice to it. Add drained potatoes. Half gallon of half n half. Cook to temp add salt n pepper to taste. Outstanding.

I'm Matt n I sometimes water my carpet.

sk8rdn

While this isn't a recipe, it is kitchen hardware, which is another hobby of mine. If you don't have one of these, go get one. $12 at Wal-Mart. Best pizza cutter ever. And a great multi-tasker too...

View attachment 22473

The handle allows you to put more vertical force down to what you're cutting without added strain.

View attachment 22474

And opens completely for easy cleaning and is dishwasher safe...

View attachment 22475

...."Fish" Happens!....