OT: tonights Recipe

ReefLady

Staff member
My oldest son (who hates fish & veggies, loves meat/chicken & starch) is away with my parents for the week. So, it's just me, hubby, and my youngest son, who probably could be a vegetarian, but loves fish/seafood.

Last night - baked haddock, cole slaw, egg noodles, grilled asparagus.

Tonight, shrimp stir fry with bok choy, broccoli, julienned carrots, snow peas, onions, sh*take shrooms, and a garlic-ginger-pineapple stir fry sauce over lo mein noodles.

LOL, profanity editor doesn't like my 'shrooms.

crazzycat

Fettucine Carbonara

4 slices chopped bacon
4 slices chopped pancetta
1 cup of crimini mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
6 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
18 ounces fresh fettuccine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped basil

Saute the bacon and pancetta in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat until almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the bacon and pancetta and saute until the bacon is crisp and golden, about 2 minutes longer. Cool. Saute mushrooms in the bacon pan. Whisk in the cream, cheese, garlic powder and yolks to blend.

Cook fettuccine in a pot of salted water until al dente, drain & add to cream mixture until all pasta is coated. Garnish with basil.

Teri, you can use all bacon, I have before & really couldnt tell a difference. Also can use half n half instead of heavy cream to make it not quite so rich. I would also not add all the pasta at once, just add what you need until you get the consistency you want, some people like more sauce, some more dry, just personal preference.

Tnx for your recipe i cook it must say it was very delicious

sambrinar

Wow must have a bunch of hibernating people around here!!

Taco Salad, with tomatoes, home made salsa, sour cream, refried beans

JennyXoXo

Appetizer:
cucumber and tomato ranch salad
sliced cucumber and diced tomato seeded and drained; lightly mixed with ranch dressing then topped with garlic crutons and shaved onion.

Entree':
bottom round roast marinated in fresh herbs, spices and butter. allowed to warm marinade for 6 hrs. seared over open flame then allowed to slow smoke with apple wood and sage.

Spinich Pie:
tender fresh spinich rinsed with lemon juice and mixed with caviar cheese, then wrapped in layered filo dough and baked till golden.

Rice:
fresh herbs and pan roasted till lightly crisp then mixed with henodi rice and steamed.

dessert:
Triple Pear Treat. Bosch, fuji and Bartlett pears sliced thin, dredged in flour nutmeg and cinnimon. slow baked and then topped with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge. cherry and cherry juice drizzled to taste.

Bon appitite'

Do you happen to have any good caviar recipes?

I've been looking around for one I suppose I'll just google it. I love that stuff ;)

sambrinar

WOW this thread has been sleeping!!

Ok I have a recipe for some good flavored pretzels!! From my momma

32 oz of Mini pretzels
16 oz Canola Oil
1 tsp Garlic Salt (personally I think powder would be better)
1 tsp Dill weed
1 package of powder ranch dressing

mix everthing together except for pretzels... put pretzels in a 2 gallon bag... dump mix over pretzels and shake until all liquid is absorbed.. leave bag of pretzels sit for 24 hours... and then enjoy

The ranch flavor is a little much for me.. so I would lesson the ranch powder.. it's pretty strong.. but yummy!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thought I would bump this thread... Always looking for ideas for dinner and new recipes
1218.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Following are ingredients and directions for a Great Salsa we eat this all the time & take it to parties - everyone raves on it

3 large clove garlic - or more I love garlic
2 or 3 jalapeno peppers - mild (use more for hot - 3)
4 small tomatillos - green Mexican tomatoes - these are in a brown husk veggie section
4 (29 oz) canned whole tomatoes
1 medium onion - I use sweet white onions when I can find them...
1 bunch of cilantro - you will find next to parsley in most stores... fresh veggie section
Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
3 teaspoon salt - season to taste - may need little more or less...
In a food processor, finely chop garlic and jalapeno peppers. Add tomatillos, and chop again, add remaining ingredients & chop again. The salsa can be served immediately, but the flavors will blend nicely if its chilled for several hours or overnight.
The above is salsa just like "Tia's"
Sometimes I add to the above 1 tablespoons of ground chipotle - season to taste - gives a nice smokey flavor
Buy lots of chips, it's so good you can eat it with a spoon, make about 1 gallon, seem like a lot, but you will got through it - cut recipe in 1/2 if needed.

ENJOY!!! :)

delaford321

I'm cheating tonight and getting tamales and rice from the local shop...but I'll make a yummy salad: tomatoes, cuke, cilantro, red onion, gr. pepper, can of black beans drained, and a can of corn drained...if you like garlic through it in as well...

catran

Here's a quick dip!
Crumble while frying one package of Bob Evans pork sausage, drain. Add 1 package of cream cheese and one can of Rotell tomatoes, (hot if you like). Bake at 350 until bubbly and brown around the edges. Serve with Panera demi loaf of Asiago bread thinly sliced.

QuentinB

Made an awesome, easy sauce thing for our steaks tonight... Turned out better than expected, thought I'd share. It was just for Shell and I, and we finished it all, so you might wanna double the recipe if it sounds like too little.

Julienne half a small onion. Throw it in a saucepan with 2-3 tablespoons of butter(I just threw this all together, so my measures will be all guesses) on medium-low heat. Stir that every once in a while til the onions are noticeably soft. From there, I poured in about 1/4 cup of Beam(prolly closer to a third, we like whiskey ;)), and about the same amount of pure maple syrup(we have the kind they sell in the maple leaf shaped bottle - that stuff). Stir that up and let it sit on medium heat a while. Throughout all this, stir every once in a while. Once it comes to a boil, I bumped the heat up a bit, my goal was reduction here. I think it was reduced by half or so by the time my steaks were finished - it'll thicken a bit once it's off the heat, too. Gets to a sticky, syrup consistency - go figure right? Dump it on your steaks, and enjoy!

I was worried it would end up too sweet - what we ended up with is a fairly rich flavor of whiskey and onion, which really offsets the sweet of the syrup pretty well. Of course, there's also the butter in there, which is always good :D If you try it, let me know! I'd love to hear what you think!

ChrisY

Tonight not sure. I will have to go raid the freezer downstairs and see whats in there. (Heck I need to depleat it anyway since it could use a defrost cycle anyway)

Maybe some Mahi-Mahi done teriyaki style, some stir fried veg and rice. simple, but gets the job done.

ChrisY

Here's a quick dip!
Crumble while frying one package of Bob Evans pork sausage, drain. Add 1 package of cream cheese and one can of Rotell tomatoes, (hot if you like). Bake at 350 until bubbly and brown around the edges. Serve with Panera demi loaf of Asiago bread thinly sliced.

That sounds good Cat. Oddly enough I grew up near the original Bob Evans farm. We did field trips there as a kid.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I tried this, this past weekend & boy was it good

This is the best chili recipe you'll ever make. It was the blue ribbon winner at a chili cook-off, garnering a prize worth $20,000 according the the recipe book it came from. With surprise ingredients like beer and unsweetened cocoa, the blend of seasonings and flavors creates a mouth watering chili that will have them begging for the recipe. For the brave souls that like more fire, double the hot sauce to kick it up a notch.
This chili has been taste tested by people that have searched high and low for the best chili recipe and they agreed...it is definitely a winner!
Best Chili
Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb. lean chuck, ground
1 lb. lean pork, ground
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
8 oz. hunt's tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 can beer (12 oz.)
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons instant beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
2 Tablespoons cumin, ground
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon warm water

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan brown 1 1/4 pounds of the ground meat (the beef and the pork), drain the fat.
2. Remove meat (the beef and the pork). Brown the rest of the ground meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
3. Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
4. Add the other half of the meat and the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, coriander, cocoa, and hot sauce. Mix well.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered , for 2 hours.
6. In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.
7. Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.

The Best Chili You Will Ever Taste Recipe - Food.com - 73166

ChrisY

Well, last night I didnt feel like cooking so I cheated and took the fam to a local steak place. (Hyde Park if anyone has ever been to one). Had some pan seared scallops, a bit of lobster and 'Steak Cabernet' which is 7oz
Filet mignon, garlic, cracked black pepper, roasted shallot Cabernet butter

ChrisY

Tonight thinking about making something called Kare-Kare, which is one of my favorites. basically an ox-tail stew with bananna flowers, peanut butter (yes, peanut butter, or ground peanuts), and green beans and eggplant.