OT: How's the weather?

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
120 warmer than dead of winter today. Probably more than 18 or 19 hours of sunlight today. Dont keep tarck anymore, long days is summer, that is what matters. In the spring, when it warms up to 30 or 40 degrees here, the young ones start wearing shorts and "T" shirts. Running around on campus with snow in the shadows and their wearing shorts. Carharrts is for the mild parts of winter, or an outer layer for he cold parts. We wear layers over layers, over layers up here. Or we use auto start and run to our preheated vehicles and from them to our offices. They do not cloase the primary chools down here until it hits 52 degrees or colder. The grade school kids get outdoor recess down until zero degrees. In most of Alaska it is too cold for snow to stick together in a ball. That sure makes it nice to walk in to a moist warm home warmed by halide lights and moistened by evaporated reef tank water. Throw a cup of hot coffee into the air during the middle of winter up here and none hits the ground. That is cold and dry! Nope, I do not live in Lost Anchorage or South East Alaska. If you want to go on a really nice wlk up here you go for a walk on a Glacier. Beautiful Blue ice hundreds of feet thick. Of course it is wise to go during the summer. Your feet are freezing, but you can go shirtless and be sweating due to the reflected light from the snow and ice. Definately very dark sun glass terriority. Temporary snow blindness and the accompanying head ache is said to hurt like *ell.

Craig Manoukian

Another perfect day and the sunset is just a few minutes away.

Mucci, you'd have to work pretty hard to offend me, shoot, Becky busts my chops all the time to no avail!:dance:

rlcline76

Another perfect day and the sunset is just a few minutes away.

Mucci, you'd have to work pretty hard to offend me, shoot, Becky busts my chops all the time to no avail!:dance:

Don't make me out to be a lightweight...I gotta keep my crew in line. lol I haven't busted your chops...you'll know when I do!

fatman

Do live close to Soldatna? (I probably spelled it wrong)
I guess you dont do much golfing there do you?

Soldatana is down by the Alaska peninsula, Jewel is from near there. She is from right on the point, she is from Homer. I have been to both, but have not lived in either. Both the Army and engineering has made it possible for me to see a very large portion of the state, most of which is seen by few white anglo saxons to a large extent. Actually few Alaskan anglo saxtons ever see an Alaskan village. Most Alaskans see only Fairbanks and Anchorage. Most villages are accessable only by river boats and small planes in the summer, and planes and snow machines during the winter. There are many villages up here that do not have landing strips that are usable but a few months per year. The reason I have seen so many villages is as the state and Feds have been making large efforts to design and install safe water systems and sewage disposal systems in the villages and towns in Alaska in the last decade, and it is still ongoing. There have been many problems with hepatitis in the villages in the fairly recent past. It is hard and time consuming to design systems for installation and maintenace in areas where the ground is permanently frozen and where all equipment, materials and skilled labor has to be either boated or flown in in small planes. Plus the native Alaskans need to be trained to perform daily maintenace on the systems installed. Plus there is the matter of making them affordable for the villages people to operate and maintain. Plus there is the ever need for environmental up grades to the old fuel storage systems that are needed for electrical generation in all the remote ares. There is only a short time period when large barges can reach a lot of the villages, so the building season is very short. Then there is the need for more fish hatcheries, and upgrades to existing water treatment and sewage treatment systems that already exist in the cities. It is much harder to get much time off than it is to stay buzy. The University during the winter keeps me buzy also. Then there is the business and my tanks.

Oh by the way, it is 65 degrees out and just about equilalent to dusk in appearance now. Just helped a friend pack up his hot air ballon at 11:00 o'clock and it was broad daylight. Beautiful long flight.

To put it lightly, the golf courses in Alaska are not good.

glampka

Don't make me out to be a lightweight...I gotta keep my crew in line. lol I haven't busted your chops...you'll know when I do!

That's an understatement!!

Cloudy now - might get a assing shower - supposed to be kicking up the heat & humidity the next couple days.

BoomerD

Ah come on little bit, "bust" me in the mouth...I dare ya...:D
crapper.gif

It's pretty nice here in NorCal. Highs in the mid 90's, lows in the upper=50's to lower 60's. Still a bit too warm for my tastes, but, not too bad.

thelastmucci

Boomer....and don't answer this if you don't want to...if you survived the 'Nam and from what I told it was hotter than heck out there...very tropical...why are you complaining about Kahlefornia weather. I mean besides the earthquakes.

Then again I was in the stumps where it got to a 120 and I hate it when it get to 100 around here.

dianezoo

I'll trade weather with ya Boomer.
It's 110 toady (I think ) gonna be 112 tomarrow. maybe rain agin end of the week. The lizzards have potholders on their feet. My dog wont go out.

sambrinar

It is 1030 pm and still in the 90's (barely) very nice out now. Can't wait for tomorrow. Nice visual Diane (lizards with potholders, I love it!!)

fatman

Current conditions as of 8:57 pm AKDT

Cloudy
Feels Like:61°
Barometer:29.68 in and falling
Humidity:55%
Visibility:Unlimited
Dewpoint:45°
Wind:NW 5 mph
Sunrise:4:01 am
Sunset:11:50 pm