OT:Heliuxs new Venting Thread

Witfull

thats what happens when you hang out with squirrels,,,,sooner or later the nut gets bit~

Heliux

Yes she got the better of me because yesterday was hell, and i just got my wisdom teeth out today so that was going through my mind yesterday.... and so much **** was adding to her smartass-ness.

(Thank you for the bleep, forget sometimes while typing)

Last edited:

BoomerD

Then she turned to me and said "Thats F***ing bullS***, its just a marketing scam to sell crappy sand you can get at the beach for a lot more". Lix

Sadly, she's more or less right. The crap sold as "live sand" really isn't any better than Southdown or any other dry aragonite sand. The tiny bit of bacteria that may have been contained in those bags won't make a whole helluva lot of difference in the health of a tank, and depending on how long it's been bagged, the bacteria may have died.

I don't know how long you've been in the hobby, but at 17 and only 5 months of LFS experience, I'd bet you're still spouting the crap that the store tells you. "Push this filter this month...we have a special on them." "But it's not a great filter." "Doesn't matter, we need to sell them. PUSH THEM!"

Many of us here have 30+ years in the hobby in one form or another, and many of us have worked in LFS over the years, good and bad. IMO, Petsmart is one of the worst in the biz, at least here in Norcal.

You REALY need to learn to relax and chill out. You're still VERY much in the enthusiastic learning stage of the hobby it sounds like. That's not a bad thing, but combined with your young age, it can make you overly "enthusiastic" about things...just relax.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks BoomerD. You spared me a bunch of typing on this LS crap.
I think I would have told my boss about a 9 year old cursing at me like that and no doubt her parents. You might want to ask your boss if there can be a sign put up about minors needing adult supervision if they want to come into the store.

Heliux

There is. And thank you boomer, but i have seen nothing but great results from the oceanic sand i buy at petsmart. yes im sure petsmart is one of the worst in the business but if you check out my OT thread over that you can be caught up with all i have to say instead of reposting it here. I dont listen to my LFS to much really because the only person i trust there is the owner that doesnt push selling anything because she is on my side, known her through my mom for years. She tells me to research everything she has told me about products/livestock before she will let me purchase it from her. She is a really great person, and she loves hearing from me when i call for quick questions. She has on hold a 400 dollar piece of her hammer coral she has been growing for 19 years and its green. She has always had my back on things. Sorry just get a little personal when people designate me as a newb to the hobby because ive done fish since before i can remember and yes ive started salt just recently but ive been researching for years and finally convinced my mother to let me take care of it. I still have a long way to go to compare to most people on this forum, just dont want to be labeled as someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. Most of my knowledge will come from experience as with all the people i listen to on this amazing forum, but i hope you can see the point im trying to push here.

Once again im just trying to be professional here and i dont want anyone upset with me. Just want people to understand my history with the hobby.

Thanks and sorry if i offended anyone.

Lix

Frankie

RS STAFF
Your cool Lix, relax, Compared to BoomerD were all newbies here :ofr:
A huge part of this forum stuff is being able to grin and bear it. Read everything and try to comprehend whats being said to you. I learn every time I log on even when I am being corrected. No one knows it all.
Now take this LS thing, a very important part to being ALIVE is oxygen. everything living needs it right? I am sure the stuff they put into the bags were alive at one point but take into account that it's sealed, transported with temperature fluctuation's and then shelf time, by the time it ends up being sold it is pretty dead and noxious. Rip one open and give a whiff. I bet it won't smell like the ocean :)
I think a suggestion of sitting back and seeing the going ons here is going to help you a lot. It's not a post count race and none of us joined for any other reason other then to learn from others about reefing. Not to start vent threads and hang out in Off Topic's.

Varga

damn Boomer, must you bash the young folks for not being as Grand as you? Geez when I llok back, the people I like the least, are the old folks who picked on my young age when I was young not cool

Frankie

RS STAFF
Varga, if this was RC they would have tore him apart for this thread. I was surprised BommerD actually commented on this. He must like the kid if he put so much effort into it. :D
Let's not turn this into an argument but try and share our knowledge to better inform people who will read this in the future.

sambrinar

Lix you are certainly passionate about your causes, you should work for SPCA, or something like that.

But you also must remember, some people enjoy going into store for the specific purpose to tick sales people off. that is how they get their Jollies. Sad but true.

Try working in healthcare sometime, this is nothing, just wait, just wait. Witty's job as well, actually I think that is worse. Same as waiter/ess, some people just like to complain, even if it is about nothing!! They like to cause a reaction. Best thing to do is not react, or smile and be super sweet, takes away their fun.

Heliux

Thanks guys, and boomer didnt bash me as much as just frustrate me. Im here to learn as well. I talk in the off topic part of RS because it can be fun sometimes. Boomer is trying to help me out and i can see that, same with everyone else. I get frustrated with people like that quickly because ive had so many, its one thing if you get the once in a while, but as an employee of petsmart i get it hourly.

Also no i havent ran my own business and i wish i could, but the fact that im still in highschool is difficult. But what i am starting is a Charity organization for fish. There are countless other charities targeted to every other category you can think of but not fish. Im tired of hearing of people throwing fish out because noone would take their oscar or w/e, fish deserve as great of a chance at living as i do.

I love fish, and i try so hard to learn from other peoples mistakes as well as my own so that i dont kill something just to learn a silly lesson. I hope with good time i can become one of the best that people everywhere know me because of what i love. But all in good time as boomer pointed out.

Ask about my fish charity through pm if you want more information because im just starting it, and it will take a little to get it up and running but i will make it happen.

Thanks again guys talk to you tomorrow!
Lix

Heliux

damn Boomer, must you bash the young folks for not being as Grand as you? Geez when I llok back, the people I like the least, are the old folks who picked on my young age when I was young not cool
Lol thanks for having my back Varga, but what boomer was saying was hard enough to piece it together without offending me to much;) Its all cool im here to learn. And i know the sand isnt the best that you can get right from the sea bed itself, but living in colorado and no where near the ocean i have to go with whats second best... and if you have any suggestions on people who do 'scoop, bag, ship, your house in 3 days' let me know because i would really look into that.

Thanks again,
Lix