Ot: E85

CATALYST

Yeah!
They just put a new fueling station by my house. I called my car insurance and they give a discount for alternative fuel. I love my car! ...And sticking it to the man, even if it's only 85% of the time.

vdituri

Multi alternative fueling station?

What kind of car do you drive?
And how good is the discount?

CATALYST

I have a c240 wagon mercedes.
The e85 gas is 3.79 a gallon compared to 4.95. The mileage isn't as good but between the incentives, it comes out in the wash. Any discount is a good discount...5% I think. The car loves the alcohol. Very spunky...well, about as spunky as a C wagon can get.

Intranick

random factoid: it takes more oil to make E-85 than if you ran straight gasoline -- the reason they can sell it cheaper is because of the marketing muscle behind it.

Intranick

sure they do, one of them is in my home town. its frigging huge. its the fact that alcohol has to be processed to get the concentration that high

Intranick

yeah thats true. I think a point of interest though will be electric cars. Tesla motors and any others that will start up like it

mps9506

I have a c240 wagon mercedes.
The e85 gas is 3.79 a gallon compared to 4.95

Holy cow. 87 octane gas just dropped to 3.79 at the gas station around the corner today. I would be limited to riding a bicycle if I lived in LA. I never see E85 around here so I have no idea what it runs.

FWIW I'm stoked about electric cars. I doubt my next car will be one, but I'm seriously considering a hybrid for my next car if they come down to the same price or at least closer to what the regular models cost, and maybe if the efficiency goes up.
I purchased a new model Civic almost two years ago, the hybrid model was 23k vs 19k OTD for my two door EX model. I get 30-40 mpg in the regular civic, and the hybrid wasn't rated that much more, and most people report getting 40ish mpg with them anyhow. Not enough for me to consider paying the premium price.
I would happily jump into an electric car, but really couldn't do it until the range on those suckers starts looking better. It isn't uncommon for me to have to drive 200-400 miles a day.

Intranick

well you're looking at 250 for the tesla, with some refinement and some improvements to the battery and the motor, maybe something that isn't designed to do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, i wouldn't be surprised if you could see 400 miles in time. Especially if you went somewhere and you could plug in for a while, or even more especially if you could swap out your battery at a fuel station - keep in mind you're probably talking an easy 500-1000lbs, so im not sure how they'd do that. maybe have it so you pop your hood and use a lift, or something.

Iduno lots to think about, but A. hybrids imo are a marketing gimmick, being only 2 of them get over 40mpg, and if i were to trade my focus for an 08 focus and get a manual tranny i'd be at 37mpg. and B. they shouldnt call electric cars "plug in hybrids"

the reason i put more faith in electric cars than other types of alternatives -- and believe me i give a lot of respect for any company that even has an IDEA because the more ideas or possible solutions because thats how you eliminate and improve new ideas. -- but the ultimate reason is that electric motors, compared to any combustion engine, are very efficient .. you're talking 80-90% efficiency compared to like.. 20% efficiency

CATALYST

Gimmick or not, it's all a step in the right direction. The fact that people are willing to try to save on resources says something. Every little bit counts and it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Not everyone can afford a Tesla or even a battery only powered car. I bought my car so I would have room for my crap and my kid and it's a bonus that it runs on E85. The alternative fuel discounts don't hurt either.
Those natural gas civics are pretty cool too. There was a guy talking about his and I think he drove about 1500 miles a month and spent about $30 a month on the natural gas.

Intranick

you're definatly right that its all a step in the right direction. I guess my point is, maybe if they downsized the motor in the Tesla, and started mass producing it -- I bet if it even fell to say.. $40,000 -- with today's gas prices, I bet that would still be cheaper. an average car is what would you say.. $25,000 off the lot? civics, focuses, and things are much cheaper, but most cars are at least $20,000 id say -- so lets say you were driving.. 90 miles a day.. i have no clue what the average is , but i know plenty who do it.. $4 a gallon for gas, 32 miles per gallon on gasoline, i think tesla is like.. equivilent to 105, but we'll down it to 100 just for fun. 52 * 5 * 90 / 32 = 731 gallons of gas @ $4 a gallon is $2924 a year. 52 * 5 * 90 / 100 = 234 gallons a year @ $4 a gallon is $936 -- now thats really difficult to measure, because it doesn't run off of electricity, so that would change with the cost of electricity. wind and solar tend to cost more, too. so even if they lowered the price to $40,000 it would still take 10 years of that to make up the difference in price.... interesting

of course, if you dont have properly inflated tires, you use about 4% more gas, so 731 becomes 760.. meaning you spend an extra $115 a year :p

lcstorc

Why does it have to be common?
I wouldn't let public pressure be what stopped me.
Unfortunately it is not realistic for me since I work 50 miles away from home. I do drive a car that gets over 30 miles a gallon and my husband hopefully will be managing over 200 wind turbines next month. Natural gas is an alternative not commonly thought of. At the Cape where hubby works now they have quite a few vehicles that have been converted. Apparently it is a very simple thing to convert to the only problem is finding the facilities to fill up. They have facilities there but not yet in the rest of the world.

CATALYST

Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator
Here is an alternative fuel locator.
There are all kinds of converters for different kinds of fuels to work in other cars too. They sell an E85 conversion kit for most cars that costs about 400. The price of the natural gas honda is only about 25K. Not too shabby. I suppose being able to find one is the next feat.
I work from home and our shop is only one exit away. No commuting here. I still try to conserve by lumping my outings together. I think I have 26K miles on my '04 car.

BoomerD

Using food to make fuel is a HORRIBLE idea. Not only does it directly impact the price of food by making corn more expensive ANY by removing food-grade corn from the marketplace, it takes a LOT of fuel to process that corn into fuel-grade alcohol. Most of the things I read say it uses MORE fuel energy to make ethanol than you can get OUT of it...

Switchgrass is supposed to be a MUCH better alternative for making ethanol, but of course, switchgrass doesn't have a HUGE lobby behind it...