Ot: E85

Intranick

Using food to make fuel is a HORRIBLE idea. Not only does it directly impact the price of food by making corn more expensive ANY by removing food-grade corn from the marketplace, it takes a LOT of fuel to process that corn into fuel-grade alcohol. Most of the things I read say it uses MORE fuel energy to make ethanol than you can get OUT of it...

Switchgrass is supposed to be a MUCH better alternative for making ethanol, but of course, switchgrass doesn't have a HUGE lobby behind it...

what people seem to forget is that you can make alcohol out of a lot of things. As with the corn, I think it was a drunk who did that :p a fan of moonshine

CATALYST

I think the concept is more of renewable energy source over non-renewable. They use cane sugar too.

mps9506

Switchgrass is supposed to be a MUCH better alternative for making ethanol, but of course, switchgrass doesn't have a HUGE lobby behind it...

But then the corn farmers won't make as much money. :) I do agree, there are plenty of alternatives that will not get federal funding that e85 did. I think people are stating to realize this though with the rise of food prices this year.

Supposedly Honda's newest hybrid will be coming out in 2010 and will be priced under 20k, so should be a good bit cheaper than the popular Prius and the not nearly as popular Hybrid Civic. I'm also interested to see if Chevy will EVER release the Volt, the electric powered vehicle they have been hyping up for years.

sambrinar

But then the corn farmers won't make as much money. :) I do agree, there are plenty of alternatives that will not get federal funding that e85 did. I think people are stating to realize this though with the rise of food prices this year.

Some of the rise in food prices is directly related to the price of Diesel. More costly to move food. the price of diesel in itself doesn't make sense either because diesel is a byproduct of gasoline, it should be less expensive, which it used to be. so to keep the general population happy, they raised the price of diesel rather than the price of gas (which means the fuel companies are making more money on diesel then they ever did on gas), which in turn makes everything that is moved via mass transit more expensive. Viscious circle. :smck:

I know slightly off topic.

The problem right now with the electric and or hybrid vehicles it the battery replacement. My mother was going to get a hybrid Ford Escape, the salesman actually talked her out of it. He said that the batteries last only about 2 years, they cost around $7,000 each and there are 6 of them. OUCH and they are only battery powered up to 35 mph then gas.

mps9506

My mother was going to get a hybrid Ford Escape, the salesman actually talked her out of it. He said that the batteries last only about 2 years, they cost around $7,000 each and there are 6 of them. OUCH and they are only battery powered up to 35 mph then gas.

Dunno about the Ford hybrid system. I was under the impression they are using toyota's hybrid system. If so then the above is total misinformation. one thing I've learned is car salesmen in general don't know jack about what they are selling. They will sell you whatever they can make a bigger paycheck off of.

sambrinar

See that is what I thought too, but the hybrid was more than the reg., so why talk her out of it. A car salesman with a conscious?? Who'd a thunk?? :ignore: Maybe Ford is different that Toyota. donno?? thought that was interesting

mps9506

See that is what I thought too, but the hybrid was more than the reg., so why talk her out of it. A car salesman with a conscious?? Who'd a thunk?? :ignore: Maybe Ford is different that Toyota. donno?? thought that was interesting

Sometimes they make more from a cheaper car with higher markup, sometimes they get incentives from the factory to sell certain models that are selling slow. When I researched my last new car purchase and went out to the dealers I heard all kinds of BS spew from different salesmen's mouths about the car I was trying to purchase. The sale's managers are the worst. No offense to any car salesmen in here or sales managers... :)