OT: "An inconvenient truth" by Al Gore

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Re: If you care about your tank<-------

to question the validity of global warming at this point is straight up ignorance!

The point really hits home when you look at Mt. kilimanjaro and other mountainous regions.

BoomerD

burning2nd said:
right on kyle.... well put

"were doomed"

couldnt have said it any eazyer. Just get a little pissed off. when i know whats going on and i still eople flicking stogies out the car window. or selafan from stogie paks.

this is most deffiently related to reef keeping.... or at least it should be inporent.

Rip on Gore all u want, but to question the validity of global warming at this point is straight up ignorance!

just hurts i guess.

You want to get pissed about a REAL problem? Then get mad about people driving pick-ups that get 15 MPG or so to work every day, or SUV's as commuter cars, or boats that dring fuel, (screw propulsion is terribly inneficient) or the regs that allow ships to dump all kinds of waste into the oceans, or even the thousands of citys around the world, who STILL dump sewage into the oceans. Right here in the USA, many coastal cities dump "treated wastewater" into rivers, bays and oceans, and in Kahleeforneeya, many beaches are closed every year due to e-coli and other bio-hazards in the ocean...

While I agree that tossing cigarettes and trash out of your car is a horrible thing, those pale in comparison to some of the other environmental raping we as a country are guilty of on a daily basis...

Charlie97L

burning2nd said:
to question the validity of global warming at this point is straight up ignorance!

never did question it!!! I agree with you 100%

i think, though, really, that while individual efforts are admirable, it's going to take new federal policies and laws to really have an impact, especially in the US.

i think once the US gets going, china will come with and everyone will be in the right direction.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Then get mad about people driving pick-ups that get 15 MPG or so to work every day, or SUV's as commuter cars, or boats that dring fuel

Exactly ! It's our addiction to oil that is the major problem and the accompanying CO2 increase and because of greed that's not going to change anytime soon. So it doesn't look good !

lets just face it were all doomed

TDEVIL

hay, i resemble that remark, ok i get around 20mpg ;)

i do agree, just hard to go to an electric car or even one of those hybrids

i have always thought it was funny (not funny, haha) for people to feel so strong on a subject as they are driven around in a limo the size of some peoples houses.

we have come a long way from when our grandparents grew up, we still have miles to go and while it isnt just the car/truck we drive causing the issue, look at the energy we use just to run our reef tanks or even the christmas lights. everything we use and depend on day to day does have an affect in one way or another, from runnoff water from planting feilds that add extra neutrients into our rivers/oceans to the big cars/trucks.

knowing about the problem/issue is said to be the first step, we have known about this problem for years and still have done nothing, or very little, about the issue. when do we start doing the right thing stop doing the wrong thing?

stop and think, one day they might look to all the reefers out there to restock the reefs in the world, because we have killed all the corals from the day to day living.

the last quote is actually a really good quote, sad but true, were all doomed

what are we willing to give up to save the world, should we go back to the horse and buggy age where there wernt any machines or should we be trying to come up w/ a machine to over come the mess we have made and what side affects will it have.

to be honest, i have no clue, would giving up my Hemi and switching to a 40mpg car fix anything, NO, it wont. the only thing it would do is maybe by some more time, even that 40mpg car will have an affect on the planet, just not as fast as my Hemi.

Jay

2455coop

And to think...All of this from the guy who invented the internet...

2455coop

and just think....( if your old enough ).... 25 years ago we were all going to freeze...

I guess I'll just have to wait another 20 yerars or so for the climate to change again....

Definately extremist. Just as global cooling was in the 70's. Most here are too young to remember that. It was a HUGE "Greenpeace" cause. They knocked on my door way back when telling me we were all going to hell in a hand baset because of global cooling. The argument was no less convincing than global warming is today. BTW, there is a glaring error in Al's movie. That lake that is drying up is doing so because the rivers that feed it have had damms built in the past two decades. It isn't due to declining runoff as he claims. He "conveniently" left out that fact.

"i new that this would sterr things up, thats why its hear....... theres a lot of sweeping under the table going on here with this movie..."

I feel even safer now..........

ReefLady

Staff member

OK time for me to weigh in on what everyone can agree is the least important issue in this thread...

Yes, it's off topic and belongs where it is.

Also, we walk a fine line when good friends start talking politics and/or religion. If this thread starts to head to a bad place, it will be closed.

burning2nd, I can see that you feel very strongly about this issue, and by now I'm sure you see that others recognize it as well. Please just make sure you're not simply looking for a fight... sooner or later you'll get one, and I don't want it on this site.

Travis

ReefLady

Staff member
Re: "An inconvenient truth" by Al Gore

P.S., I also changed the title to something more fitting of the content of the thread.

Travis

burning2nd

ITs enough to make you want to cry......

at least i know someones on the right page.
I love the USA "greatest country in da world" (broat) but were lacking.

ever take notice that the rest of the world is driveing compact hybrids. mean while theres people driveing POS cars and trucks, that drip leak and carry on.

If you have to add a qt of oil every few weeks or months. (thats 2 much)

anyone hear about the no fishing in 2012? theres gonna be nothing left supposibly (i dont have time to entertain that)

mean while theres people tie'n in to all kinds of crazy stuff. and not whats really inporent like seucuring our childrens future.

didnt u see that pic of katreana? Or the boats in the desert. If the glaysure of Mt. kilimanjaro and the guy standing next to a 50ft tall peace of telaphone poll ice..

the part where like 50square miles of ice broke away in 30 days should be enough to show you that, if we all dont do something quick (futile attempt now) its gonna be like life on mercury.

i wanst trying to start a fight or anything. im just saying that its really sad that people complain and ***** about the condition of this and that, but cant stop and think for one second that something bigger then themself is a little more inportent.

even tho in the movie he tied in to some polical bull and that nonsence about his kid. (join the club man) my mom went thur the same thing with me

the doctors said strait up, hes not gonna wake up. and if he does he will be a vegie.

proved his azz wrong but thats neither hear nor there.

obviously this movie is doing something cause everywhere ive brought this up, (class, work, fourms) the results where the same. The rich people try to defend there way of life, by justifying the contuined non use of things like recyclables, wasting energy and just being exstravagant 24/7.
The ignorant people try to refuse its truth, by saying something along the line of "the oceans so big, dumping 30,000 gallons or curd oil wont hurt" Or better yet "global warming is fake, its just the goverment trying to keep us in check" (i love that one) (almosted smackd that guy in the face, worthy of a girl slap)

what about thos pictures of dead reef? that doesn hurt anyone besides me? That doesnt make you want to change stuff now.

if we all dont get on the same page quick theres gonna be no pages left to be on

hey chek69 did you catch that part about the mosquitos and the mountain town now haveing thos moqquitoes cause of the temp change?

not looking for a fight, but im sure it will come....... it would only prove the point feather.
The referance was for the ocean,

burning2nd

as i think a little bit more about...

what about all thoes people who say
"your tank is to small for that" "you cant suport that in your tank"
"its gonna die"

all of thoes people should be on the same page. If you care about something in someone else tank why wouldnt u care about the great tank in the world?
Gods tank

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

2455coop said:
and just think....( if your old enough ).... 25 years ago we were all going to freeze...

That's still stands true from the conclusion I got from the movie. The fact is wether you agree or not with the movie there's an enormous amount of co2 being produced particularly since the industrial revolution and that can't be a good thing.

pmac90

Not saying there isn't a problem ... but to play devils advocate. Mother earth is very large (we are very small!!) and there has been many times in her history that she has done what she wants. Is there not an outside chance that she is doing what she wants to do? example: ice age..........

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Well there's more people living today then ever in history and the damage done in the last century IMO is unparalleled. Based on the scientific evidence presented the polar ice is melting that's undeniable and that can have catastrophic consequences.

BoomerD

It's hard to believe that there are people who think the damage we've done to " Mother Earth" is negligible, and that the trends being seen are NOT caused by all the pollution we've been pumping into our air and water for the past 100 or so years...BUT, I guess when actually accepting that might impact the bottom line, we're gonna get lots of scientists paid by industry to say just that...

pmac90

again, not saying nothing is wrong now... but the most catastrophic events in the planets history happened when no one was here.

BoomerD

pmac90 said:
again, not saying nothing is wrong now... but the most catastrophic events in the planets history happened when no one was here.

Agreed, and the MOST catastrophic events in the planet's history were caused by mother nature in one way or another...(volcanos, earthquakes, meteors, etc..) but we're slowly poisoning our air and water to a point where coral reefs are dying enmasse, our air isn't hardly fit to breathe in many parts of the globe, and animal species are being wiped out in record numbers. WE are the cause of the pollution poisoning our planet, and (not trying to take this political, but...)the current administration has relaxed or eliminated so many laws and restrictions on it, that we may never get back to where we were in 2000...