OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

I use the Kent Marine Iron & Manganese periodically in my tank Basile, I have no way of testing for it's content in my water so I dosed sparingly but it seems to help with Chaeto, I have dosed Iodide too but again, I've never tested for it so I've only dosed it a time or 2 , I use the Kent marine essential elements too, and a bit more often than anything else, but still sparingly since I don't test for most of the things it's supposed to replenish....

I think Kent Marine makes some great products but if you can't test for the elements you are adding, use caution when dosing, all their bottles have a recommended dosage but I rarely ever dose that much of any of their products, I usually cut their suggested amount into 1/4 or 1/2 the dosage and dose less often than they recommend :)

20771_600w600h.png

Ya i was going to do the same too less is more as they say lol. Thanks, much appreciated.

Willie McDaries

as far as dosing something that you can't test for, it's best to watch how your tank responds, if things are looking good and are improving, you're doing something right, if it starts to look bad, let up on or stop dosing the product that seemed to bother them...

don't dose different products at the same time, let one product fully disperse before adding anything else, that will give you some time to see how your critters react to it and you'll know a bit sooner if that product is gonna help or hurt your tank, if you can't actually test for products it's a bit of a guessing game but your critters will let you know soon enough if they like it or not, dosing multiple products at the same time will make it harder to determine which product they didn't like too :)

Willie McDaries

with my chaeto and dosing the Iron & Manganese, I noticed within a week that my Chaetos new growth was a darker green and the branches seemed to be a bit larger diameter, and it started growing a lot faster after a month or so, I dosed sparingly for a few months then let up on it, now I just dose for a week or so when it seems to slow down on growing but the deep lush green color has remained ever since I started dosing, I don't know how other macros will respond to it but chaeto loves it :)

Basile

as far as dosing something that you can't test for, it's best to watch how your tank responds, if things are looking good and are improving, you're doing something right, if it starts to look bad, let up on or stop dosing the product that seemed to bother them...

don't dose different products at the same time, let one product fully disperse before adding anything else, that will give you some time to see how your critters react to it and you'll know a bit sooner if that product is gonna help or hurt your tank, if you can't actually test for products it's a bit of a guessing game but your critters will let you know soon enough if they like it or not, dosing multiple products at the same time will make it harder to determine which product they didn't like too :)

with my chaeto and dosing the Iron & Manganese, I noticed within a week that my Chaetos new growth was a darker green and the branches seemed to be a bit larger diameter, and it started growing a lot faster after a month or so, I dosed sparingly for a few months then let up on it, now I just dose for a week or so when it seems to slow down on growing but the deep lush green color has remained ever since I started dosing, I don't know how other macros will respond to it but chaeto loves it :)

Thanks for your tips Much appreciated man. .

Basile

Additional additions

Expensive week , expensive weekend, expensive blue carpet Nem, but what a beauty.

Photo291-1.jpg

Just arrived and with a blue light not the best lightin lol.

Photo292-1.jpg

More relaxed

Photo297.jpg

Photo298-1.jpg

One of the first thing i've learned from an expert on are group ; YOU do not feed that species of nem because you hurt them in fact it the major cause of death for this one.

Photo299.jpg

Thats the trick, half an hour like this to an hour and they host it no problem

Photo300.jpg

Some re enforcement in the CUC department he's about to split, do we want to see this.......naaaahhhhh.

Photo301-1.jpg

A little nicer to watch

Photo302-1.jpg

A nice curtins in my fuge, hoping my supplements will help.

Photo303-1.jpg

A few zooz and a gold Hammer, yes i'll move the hammer tonight lol.

Photo304-1.jpg

This piece is actually round and will fit nicely on the zooz sculpture, i got 3 of those wierd shape and very unique pieces.

Photo294.jpg

A great little gadjet; the digital hydrometer is for me much more usefull than a probe. When i buy fish or particularly fragile inverts with very high or low gravity and you don't know it and you just acclimate by estimate, you can shock them and kill them. I found some dealers water to be, 1.021 up to 1.041 , no kidding, so when you do your ordinary acclimatation unaware of these fact , you can easely kill your fragine inverts. Fish being not as fragile but still. So that thing is great.

Very easy to use

Photo279-1.jpg

It gives you temp; gravity in 3 different modes.

Photo278-1.jpg

Photo280-1.jpg

Photo281-1.jpg

My fuge i think is doing better since i add iodine and some supplements, still need another that i've ordered . I think that vendor selling Macro should sell that stuff at the same time

Photo295.jpg

Photo296-1.jpg

Photo284-1.jpg

Basile

Wow, fantastic pictures mate. I want one of those refractomers now.looks incredibly easy to use and I like that!

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...maquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/MIL-MA887.html

When you want to post a link use the link button on the left side of the " envelope button" Icon. its will make a direct link, easy :thumbup:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wicked update mate!! As per usual I love it :D
That nem is an absolutely fantastic specimen :yup: it's going to look amazing in the tank! Good to hear your macro is all starting to bounce back too :)

Basile

It was a good morning light

Their was good light today not too sunny so i made a photo shoot of the tanks, because sometimes too much glare and reflexion i get more window shot reflexion in the water than fish shots lol. So here we go

From the top of the refugium i see my reef tank like this

Photo404-1.jpg

From the roof i see my fuge like this

Photo405-1.jpg

Photo406-1.jpg

After dosing some iodine, iodides , iron and manganese , the fuge bounced back a bit

Photo403-1.jpg

The clowns are in the NPS zone as you can see no growth of algae what so ever , perfect for the NPS's.

Photo400-1.jpg

Photo397-1.jpg

Almost got a clear shot boy are they hyper....

Photo395-1.jpg

Being in the diatom stage the sponge who's normaly purple became totally brown, now she's clearing up and getting her color back to purple, mauve again.

Photo371.jpg

The first tonga sculpture's going to get 3 new additions this week , to its branches with zoos on it.

Photo386.jpg

This tonga sculpture is being overrun and cleaned up at the same time , The GSP are growing actually prety good.

Photo385.jpg

The FTS you can see the 3 pieces i was talking about , very interesting shapes as well thats why i took them too

Photo384.jpg

Photo383.jpg

Photo382.jpg

Photo381-1.jpg

I don't know what these guys found but they've been in there for 2 weeks now cleaning.

Photo372-1.jpg

One of the interesting piece, its actually a tonga branch with growth on it.

Photo370.jpg

An earlier piece i put there, i'm not good with epoxy.

Photo369-1.jpg

Photo368-1.jpg

The new star of the tank

Photo367-1.jpg

Photo355-1.jpg

What she see's , with her mouth i suppose lol

Photo353-1.jpg

Photo354-1.jpg

Photo352-1.jpg

That cucumber is too close to the letuce lol.

Photo351-1.jpg

Photo349-1.jpg

The fuge was in good light too

Photo364-1.jpg

Photo366.jpg

Photo365-1.jpg

Photo363-1.jpg

Photo362-1.jpg

Photo361-1.jpg

Photo360-1.jpg

I love a green canopee

Photo359-1.jpg

Photo358-1.jpg

Find the seahorse

Photo357-1.jpg

Photo356-1.jpg

Cleaned up my wires a bit

Photo276.jpg

Photo275.jpg

Photo274.jpg

Photo273.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I seriously love your setup mate :D :D

Can't wait to see the vid of your sump and set up :yup:

Billerbong

I've spent the last week reading through your thread and it's simply amazing. I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to make a speleothem with me! I think yours will look incredible covered with NPS corals.

I love the idea of having a functional and gorgeous display refugium. Sounds like this projects is letting you explore many zones of the ocean, very cool.

One day I would love to do something similar.

Basile

I've spent the last week reading through your thread and it's simply amazing. I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to make a speleothem with me! I think yours will look incredible covered with NPS corals.

I love the idea of having a functional and gorgeous display refugium. Sounds like this projects is letting you explore many zones of the ocean, very cool.

Thanks , if their's an advice i can give... take your time. I had all kinds of delays; but you know what; they've saved me lots of dollards and gave me time to think, but most importantly rethink some of my first ideas and i thank God now for those delays, wouldn't change a thing really. June 2013 to dec 27 2013.

StirCrayzy

Patience is key.
Many others of us have spent an abundance of time planning tanks, and for the "cost", TIME is the best investment when it comes to new tank projects. !

Basile

That would be quite Awsome and unique. You'd make a journal and a revue i'm sure. The lighting could be problematic but not impossible with weel placed LED's wired throught your egg crate or what ever you decide to use as a frame, listen to me i'm building it in my mind already lol. Yes really exciting project, but with tons of chalenges, Take your time on that one lol. Its going to be a great project , don't forget to tell me and connect with me thanks.

Basile

Nutrition facts and values for herbivores

A bit of comparisson on foods and what some are feeding tangs and the nuttritional values.

Spirulina dried
Nutritional value per 100*g (3.5*oz)
Energy
1,213*kJ (290*kcal)
Carbohydrates
23.9 g
-*Sugars
3.1 g
-*Dietary fiber
3.6 g
Fat
7.72 g