OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Basile buddy, by the time you get this tank running, all of your equipment is going to be out-dated:away::yup:

Basile

I like it, are you gonna try the upside down coral again ? :)

I was thinking about that, this morning and i'm really impress, you remember that. It must of made an impression then lol. Well like they say; whats old is new, i'll start all over again lol. Thanks man.

Basile

Did the sand bed today

Did the sand bed today

Photo147.jpg

Photo148.jpg

Photo149.jpg

Photo150.jpg

Photo151.jpg

Photo152.jpg

Photo153.jpg

Photo145.jpg

Photo144.jpg

I thought the sand bed was too flat but i was told it wouldn't stay flat too long, with critters and waterflow going. And if i add a goby and a pistol shrimp anyway. I still have a few bags of sand if i want to add to it. My heat exchanger is due next week my second sump is not here yet but i'm told i still can put water in for a few days , get the system going it the humidity wont hurt anything. I can't finish the plumbing without the dam sump. I'll get the sump in a few days, then the heat and air exchanger dec 3, what to what to do... my smal fuge is full of bacteria , just have to transfer half the live rock and sand in there and the cycle is started.............decisions decisions

Willie McDaries

I was thinking about that, this morning and i'm really impress, you remember that. It must of made an impression then lol. Well like they say; whats old is new, i'll start all over again lol. Thanks man.

LOL yep, I remember it because I've never seen anybody do an upside down coral before or since, and I liked it :) I guess I like seeing unique things tried, most everybody kinda follows the same path, people like you and PaulB who try different interesting things really does impress me LOL

PaulB had the aluminum Budweiser beer can and several wine and champagne bottles in his tank, that was awesome to me too, it's something I probable wouldn't try, but your stalactite and upside down coral trick, I might give it a try sometime LOL

Basile

Stormy day

During the snowstorm yesterday this was my doing, a bit of this a bit of that. I ended up with my hands full of glue anyway. Talked to the Concept guy my sump should be here next wednesday same day their installing my heat exchange unit.

No its not sewage plumbing, lol its my return line, my whole plumbing is black, i whent for the star Trek Borg look, the stands are black steel and their was no way i could hide any of the plumbing between the two tanks so why not make them part of the decor and go for a them like, so i when for it; The Borg have assimilated my fishroom and cat room. lol. Those are my cat stairs behind, so they can have their excersises.

Photo154.jpg

The return line will have some weight to it so along the way i've braced it at different point, don't worry , its not harming the pipe i have a cushion between the harnest and the pipe.

Photo155.jpg

Photo166.jpg

Those little clamps are great , they hold 57Lb along the route of the line. By the way you see the little black tape between the clamp and the wall? Its a vibration absorbing membrane , to stop any vibration to radiate into the wall and to the rest of the condo.

Photo156.jpg

This is the membrane i was talking about Sorbothane . Absorb 98% of all vibration i also put it into my sump under my pumps and skimmer. Cost $25 a sheet on Ebay. Impervious to oil, detergents water of any kind.

Photo158.jpg

I've put a piece between every clamp or anything that hold a pipe conducting water.

Photo160.jpg

I'll paint those hooks black later on, got to keep the Borg theme going, lol

Photo159.jpg

Photo161.jpg

Yes i want it to hold so i drilled every holes

Photo162.jpg

Funny i found that their was a second resistance when i was drilling, never happened before couldn't understand why......This by the way is set up so i can unhook it and fill bukets, or my QT or other tanks. This is the Refugium feed to the 150G reef.

Photo163.jpg

I got my answer as to why i felt a second resistance while drilling.....this is in my bedroom on the otherside, DAHHHH , HEY if you can't laugh at your self who will, life is too short to miss on that.I'm the first to laugh at you so...lol And when i'm great i'm the first to say so too lol i share my emotions, lol anyway thats easy to repair , i couldn't stop laughing when i closed my bedroom door that night lol.

Photo.jpg

Back to topic, the spout is directional hopfully it will work, lol. Got to find a way to remove the ink from the pipe.The gate valve gives me complete controle on the flow comming from the refugium. Eventually it'll drop in a 3" pipe that will be decorated with rubbles and foamed , inside will be special sheets of plastic where pods can multiply undisturbed, but a futur project.

Photo164.jpg

Behind the fuge, the cats hallway, in the begining, all the tanks were on the opposite wall and this wall was for the cats exclusively, but the plan changed because the floor couldn't take 3 tanks on one side.

Photo165.jpg

I glued these sucker good , i red that more was better.....If their's a leak i really don't know how to undo this really.... By the way you see now my hight tech early warning system for the cats. I call it the green sphere. Its compose of gree duranium and has at its core a plutonium bell tha gingle when the cats passes through, the sound is so awfull , it travels for light year around.......go a keep in character here lol.

Photo167.jpg

The emergency drain, fuge.

Photo168.jpg

The dripping has been taken care of, lol.

Photo169.jpg

I finally put my toys in, as you can see they fit perfectly, specially the Tunze 6095 in the $20 wavebox, lol . The other 6095 will generate the current while the one in the box will make the wave by emptying the box in succession.

Photo170.jpg

Inside the box, i hade to mesure the pump size on a glass to tell Concept Aquarium exactly how large and wide to accomodate the pump but also the magnets, the size of the hole. They nailed it!!!!

Photo171.jpg

They black out the box, the only thing is either they forgot or they didn't think about it is the front toward the tank lol. but By the way to all the guys who helped me, i know how much more difficult it was to move and carry the tank with this box on the side, because we couldn't get a good grip on the dam thing because of it.

Photo172.jpg

When i ordered my tank and Concept told me they did waveboxes in the overflow, i was surprise, and i asked them if they could make mine on the side, and they said sure, inside or outside. I couldn't beleive it. I was so happy , no need to camouflage it and no lost space in the tank, and for $20 instead of $ 600 . My only regret is not knowing more about wavebox at the time. The position its in now, i would asked that to put it right up front, but P. F., are great Guru , who i personnaly admire and think he'sone of are greatest asset in the hobby said it still going to work anyway.

Photo173.jpg

Photo174.jpg

Photo175.jpg

The Tunze 6055 in the refugium is aiming straight at the separation screen hopfully it'll help in its cleaning and in moving water between the two sides. The 1" feeding buklhead right beside it.

Photo177.jpg

Since i've blocked the side with a ceramic panel because of the sun(heat issue) the powerhead has to be put on the front glass. But the foot print is actually very small really. Tunzy 6055 as well on the seahorses side. The other side of the refugium will be for the Anglers.

Photo178.jpg

My RODI mixing container for the moment, i'll have another mixing station later on. For now this 30 G fits perfectly in the corner.

Photo179.jpg

Perspective look from the otherside of the room

Photo180.jpg

My little fuge running for 2 months now, will seed my big system as soon as i get that sump.

Photo181.jpg

All the equipment is waiting, my Octopus 3000,2X DC 3500diablo pumps , 2X little fishies reactors, and the plumbing part roughly cut because now the size of the sump has change since its in two pieces now, have to wait to see how it fits....

Photo182.jpg

Basile

Re: Stormy day

Under the fuge, will be the QT that is now the little fuge i've got going, and the Apex Neptune controller. Under it will be the mixing station. and if i can an auto feeding fridg project.

Photo183.jpg

This is the view from my computer chair.

Photo184.jpg

The same powerhead from inside the tank, behind the sculpture.

Photo176.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Lost for words, mate this is one of the most awesome builds I've seen!! You've thought it through to a level I didn't even know existed :p Really an amazing build with all the different sections and your rockwork :D Absolutely love the look of the plumbing too :yup: Can't wait to see this one filled and running :)

Basile

Lost for words, mate this is one of the most awesome builds I've seen!! You've thought it through to a level I didn't even know existed :p Really an amazing build with all the different sections and your rockwork :D Absolutely love the look of the plumbing too :yup: Can't wait to see this one filled and running :)

One thing that helps is not rushing to put water in the tank like most people do. As a sailor, as was always on a time table and on the go. It burned me , i'm finished. My doctors tell me i've got to slow down so thats the reason i'm retiring. or semi retired,. Now on medical leave i'm taking my time for the first time . Relaxing and enjoying the little things , you would be surprise how much we miss on thing. I was able to foresee problems and solution before they happened , and also plan better certain aspect of my project. The rockwork didn't come in a vision from the vergin Mary, lol it took time and i played with it for about 2 weeks. Looking at the rocks and thinking of the shapes it slowy formed itself in my mind. people rush to put water in the tank then they think of the rocks and wonder how come their rockwork isn't working out right lol. This thing was started in may 2013 and we're in nov 2013 and still dry lol water is schedule dec 5 if my sump arrives lol. But its been fun in the making really . Build ups are the most involve time for us i think because after is just monitering really. The rockwork is actually the only personal touch we can make because the rest is all either mechanical or biological. The personality of the tank your personnality comes from your rock work, so if you don't make the effort or spend time , well ; the pile of rock is you , lol. I started with a biocube 29 G then a 65 G this is my third tank system and i've learn from my other two. but its my biggest and i know nothing of big systems. so its a new adventure. One thing i know for sure , for big systems i'll quarantine everything and dip everything because the cost of curing and cleaning a big system is too much to bare. I know a guy who crashed a 400 G tank he's still recuperating from it after 5 years. I'm not going to be that guy. No cutting corners here if it happens it wont be because i've cut corners, on quarantines or preventive mesures. Thanks for your interest , and compliments. If your a fan of Star Trek you'll recongnise the Borg inprint soon as green light strips are comming to highlight the room , their was noway i could hide those pipes so i decided to show them off as part of the design, even the 30 G RODI drum will have a green glow light like the Borg ship i know i'm minimalist, or crazy one or the other lol.

Basile

Borg obsession

A few people were asking me about what was this Borg theme i was obsessing about, so here's some pictures of the Borg so you can understand my theme.

Borg_drones_2365.jpg

Picard_in_Borg_alcove.jpg

star_trek_online-pcscreenshots25781sto_screen_020510_07.jpg

Star-Trek-Borg-Drone-Mask.jpg

theborg.jpg

The Queen Borg

tvstartrekqueenborgsciencefictionborgqueen1600x2460wallpaper_wwwwallpapermaycom_38.jpg

alice_krige.jpg

firstcontacthd1036.jpg

firstcontacthd1030.jpg

8852.jpg

4434600604_556eb55162_o.jpg

Borg_cube_interior_2366.jpg

Borg-PLUGGED-IN.jpg

sto_screen_khitomer_040610_02.jpg

unicomplex1.jpg

Its a look i like, i'm not into the sleak and rounded things, lol I like the busy dingy look of the Borg.

Photo180.jpg

Photo032-1.jpg

LOL when its finished it will have LED green lights under the shelf and under the sump.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
One thing that helps is not rushing to put water in the tank like most people do. As a sailor, as was always on a time table and on the go. It burned me , i'm finished. My doctors tell me i've got to slow down so thats the reason i'm retiring. or semi retired,. Now on medical leave i'm taking my time for the first time . Relaxing and enjoying the little things , you would be surprise how much we miss on thing. I was able to foresee problems and solution before they happened , and also plan better certain aspect of my project. The rockwork didn't come in a vision from the vergin Mary, lol it took time and i played with it for about 2 weeks. Looking at the rocks and thinking of the shapes it slowy formed itself in my mind. people rush to put water in the tank then they think of the rocks and wonder how come their rockwork isn't working out right lol. This thing was started in may 2013 and we're in nov 2013 and still dry lol water is schedule dec 5 if my sump arrives lol. But its been fun in the making really . Build ups are the most involve time for us i think because after is just monitering really. The rockwork is actually the only personal touch we can make because the rest is all either mechanical or biological. The personality of the tank your personnality comes from your rock work, so if you don't make the effort or spend time , well ; the pile of rock is you , lol. I started with a biocube 29 G then a 65 G this is my third tank system and i've learn from my other two. but its my biggest and i know nothing of big systems. so its a new adventure. One thing i know for sure , for big systems i'll quarantine everything and dip everything because the cost of curing and cleaning a big system is too much to bare. I know a guy who crashed a 400 G tank he's still recuperating from it after 5 years. I'm not going to be that guy. No cutting corners here if it happens it wont be because i've cut corners, on quarantines or preventive mesures. Thanks for your interest , and compliments. If your a fan of Star Trek you'll recongnise the Borg inprint soon as green light strips are comming to highlight the room , their was noway i could hide those pipes so i decided to show them off as part of the design, even the 30 G RODI drum will have a green glow light like the Borg ship i know i'm minimalist, or crazy one or the other lol.

That's one of the things I love so much about your build! The shear amount of time, effort and thought you've put into it, coupled with your own personal touches and patience :) I really do enjoy watching you tank progress and the awesome look and feel of your plumbing!! I think you've chosen a brilliant way to show them off and I have no doubts this system is going to be amazing once you have it filled and occupied (not that it isn't already :p haha). One thing I regret (yet also don't regret) is using liverock for my scape as it doesn't really allow for a huge amount of customization because of the inhabitants of it but all things considered I still think it's turned out how I wanted it too :)
Your system and the way you're doing things is definitely something everyone should ponder on and take a leaf out of your book :) Keep those awesome updates coming mate!! :yup:

Basile

That's one of the things I love so much about your build! The shear amount of time, effort and thought you've put into it, coupled with your own personal touches and patience :) I really do enjoy watching you tank progress and the awesome look and feel of your plumbing!! I think you've chosen a brilliant way to show them off and I have no doubts this system is going to be amazing once you have it filled and occupied (not that it isn't already :p haha). One thing I regret (yet also don't regret) is using liverock for my scape as it doesn't really allow for a huge amount of customization because of the inhabitants of it but all things considered I still think it's turned out how I wanted it too :)
Your system and the way you're doing things is definitely something everyone should ponder on and take a leaf out of your book :) Keep those awesome updates coming mate!! :yup:

Thanks! One thing i also am promising myself is that my tank will be a fish tank. I see a lot of tank with tons and i mean tons of corals. And for that you need lots of food and additives and attentions. I recently came accross these tanks ;

FTS011908post.jpg

reef_20120720-81.jpg

220-5-31-08-650PX-XL.jpg

And i love the fact that they have less corals , but bigger ones and more fishroom space . I intend to do just that . Have few of them, so less trouble with warfare between them, more space between them to grow, less food to buy and feed them, more room for my fish to roam in between and a feeling of well less cluther , some tanks are actually claustrophobic to me. Anyway thats the plan. Thansk again for your time and the kind words. Much appreciated.

Basile

My list

Well today i've research my list of things i'm going to put in those tanks and why, what do they do and if compatible with not only each other but with my goals and the technology i've got . Plus if they fit with the enviroment, corals and macroalgae, for example, i've put 4 trochus snail in my little seeding fuge and they ate half my macro's , so ya , we learn don't we. So knowing what they eat and finding out who they don't like is kina important. I knew that but a refresher was good. Plus i came to learn a few things with this refresher course and came to some conclusions that i'll put into practice and test those assumptions of mine.

So anyway here's the population tanks list;

Refugium

Seahorses side A;

5 Hippocampus erectus seahorses black

Hippocampuserectusseahorsesblack.jpg

Red madarin

RedMandarin.jpg

1 Blood shrimp,

Lysmatadebeliusbloodshrimp.jpg

very shy carnivore

2 sexy shrimp

Thoramboinensissexyshrimp.jpg

Carnivore

5 Electric Orange Hermit Crab (The secret to recongnising them its the blue eyes, contrasting the orange legs.)

ElectricOrangeHermitCrab-1.jpg

Omnivore
Potential Controller Of:
Chaetomorpha crassa
Chaetomorpha aerea
Polysiphonia elongata
Enteromorpha prolifera
Enteromorpha linza
Enteromorpha intestinalis
Enteromorpha compressa

Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

SuperTonganNassariusSnail.jpg

Cerith/Tower Snails

CerithSnail-Cerithidaegenus.jpg

Angler side B

1 yellow Angler

Yellow-Wartskin-Anglerfish.jpg

Carnivore fed once a week

1Brittle Sea Star, Fancy (Ophiure protoreaster)

Ophiodermaappressumbrittlestar.jpg

Detritus

20 Cerith/Tower Snails

(algae; Diatoms Stringy Growth
Diatom Coating)

Fuzzy Chiton

fuzzychitonAcanthopleura_granulata.jpg

herbivore

Reef tank 150G

6 chromis

Green-Chromis.jpg

Carnivore

1 Yellow Tang

YellowTang-Hawaii.jpg

Potential Controller Of:
Acetabularia crennulata (Mermaids Cup/Mermaid Wine Glass Alga)
Valonia macrophysa
Valonia utricularis 2
Valonia utricularis 1
Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1
Ventricaria ventricosa
Ulva rigida (Sea Lettuce)
Ulva lactuca
Centroceras clavulatum
Dictyosphaeria cavernosa (Green Bubble Weed)
Enteromorpha prolifera
Enteromorpha linza
Enteromorpha compressa
Hypnea musciformis
Hypnea cervicornis
Valoniopsis pachynema
Boodlea species
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora laetevirens
Chaetomorpha crassa
Chaetomorpha aerea

2 Picasso Clown

PicassoB.jpg

Bubble tip Anemone

BubbleTipAnemonePink.jpg

1 yellow Watchman Goby+ Pistol shrimp

YellowPrawnGobywatchmen.jpg

Sand mover

or

2 Orange Stripe Prawn Goby

OrangeStripePrawnGoby.jpg

Sand and rubble mover carnivore.

+

Pistol shrimp

BullseyeSnappingShrimp.jpg

Carnivore

5 Bartlett Anthias

BartlettsAnthias.jpg

Females

bartlettfemale.jpg

1 green Mandarin

GreenMandarin.jpg

5 cleaner shrimp (carnivore)

Lysmataamboinensiscleanershrimp.jpg

15 Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

SuperTonganNassariusSnail.jpg
[/IMG]

(detritus)

1Neopetrolisthes ohshimai anemone crab.

Neopetrolisthesohshimaianemonecrab.jpg

Filter feeder

1Brittle Sea Star, Fancy
(Ophiure protoreaster)(detritus, omnivore)

1Fighting Conch;

FightingConch.jpg

(algae ; Potential Controller Of:

Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1
Oscillatoria sp. 2
Oscillatoria sp. 1
Cladophoropsis species 2
Cladophoropsis species 1
Diatoms Stringy Growth
Diatom Coating
Chlorodesmis species (Turtle Weed)

10 Banded Trochus Snail ;Trochus niloticus

BandedTrochusSnail.jpg

Potential Controller Of:

Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1
Ostreobium species
Cladophoropsis species 2
Cladophoropsis species 1
Bryopsis species
Bryopsis plumosa
Diatoms Stringy Growth
Diatom Coating

1Long-spined Urchin (Algae)

HatpinUrchinDiademasetosum.jpg

Potential Controller Of:

Ulva lactuca
Bryopsis species
Bryopsis plumosa
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora laetevirens
Valonia macrophysa
Valonia utricularis 2
Valonia utricularis 1
Boodlea species
Ostreobium species
Valoniopsis pachynema
Fucus vesiculosus 2
Fucus vesiculosus 1
Fucus spiralis
Cladophoropsis species 2
Cladophoropsis species 1
Ventricaria ventricosa
Chaetomorpha crassa
Chaetomorpha aerea
Sargassum vulgare
Sargassum sinicola
Sargassum natans
Sargassum johnstoni
Sargassum hystrix
Sargassum fluitans
Lobophora variegata 1
Laminaria species
Enteromorpha prolifera
Enteromorpha linza
Enteromorpha compressa
Hypnea musciformis
Hypnea cervicornis
Wrangelia argus
Dictyota linearis
Dictyota dichotoma
Dictyota bartayresii
Polysiphonia elongata
Centroceras clavulatum
Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1

1 Mespilia globulus (Blue Tuxedo Urchin)

MespiliaglobulusBlueTuxedoUrchin.jpg

Potential Controller Of:

Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1
Boodlea species
Ostreobium species
Cladophoropsis species 2
Cladophoropsis species 1
Chaetomorpha crassa
Chaetomorpha aerea
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora laetevirens
Valoniopsis pachynema
Bryopsis species
Bryopsis plumosa
Enteromorpha prolifera
Enteromorpha linza
Enteromorpha compressa
Ulva lactuca

1 Elysia diomedea (Mexican Lettuce Slug

ElysiadiomedeaMexicanseaslug.jpg

Potential Controller Of:
Bryopsis species
Bryopsis plumosa
Chaetomorpha crassa
Chaetomorpha aerea
Enteromorpha prolifera
Enteromorpha linza
Enteromorpha compressa
Derbesia marina
Derbesia species 2
Derbesia species 1
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora laetevirens

10 Cerith/Tower Snails

[/IMG]

(algae; Diatoms Stringy Growth
Diatom Coating)

1 Emerald crab Mithrax sculptus

emerald_crab1.jpg

Potential Controller Of:

Dictyota linearis
Dictyota dichotoma
Dictyota bartayresii
Ventricaria ventricosa
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora laetevirens
Valoniopsis pachynema
Bryopsis species
Bryopsis plumosa
Valonia macrophysa
Valonia utricularis 2
Valonia utricularis 1

Porcelain Crab (Petrolisthes galathinus)

porcelain_crab.jpg

Filter feeder

1 (Fromia milleporella) red starfish

Fromiamilleporellaredstarfish.jpg

Detritus

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Seriously awesome inspirational tanks :yup:
And wow is that some research or what :D Really like your stocking lists! Especially the inclusion of mandarins!