ohiojeff's reef

ohiojeff

well, 18 months in, some deaths, a lot of lessons, and here is where i am now...

pdtl.jpg

rm4a.jpg

miax.jpg

s1bv.jpg

ohiojeff

vpqv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know...not pretty, but I wanted to show my candy cane because it does show the turnaround in my system. I had given it up as dead, and now it is ever so slowly growing and recovering. That is a good sign to me.

Mike Johnson

Nice. A tank like that doesn't come about over night or without a lot of research and investment in time and money. Your tank is proof that patience and dedication will pay off.

ohiojeff

well, it is very damaged, but the fact it is coming back is promising.

my tank was doing ok. I had a 20gal sump under my 75 gal tank, but I was having trouble with overheating. I decided to put in a sump in my basement. The idea was that it was cool down there and moving the water back and forth would help lower the temps. being an old timer in this I remember when we used lava rock in marine tanks, so when I set up my sump I went to the home store and bought bags of landscaping lava rock to save money.

within days of hooking to the new sump my urchins stopped moving. then my corals started getting smaller. naturally I didn't connect it to the rock right off. with my new sump I added new lights, and my jbj wavermaker. when things went south I was sure which new thing might be the problem. it took me some time to figure out what was going on. by the time I removed the corals to another tank and began trying to fix it, this candy cane was all but dead. the fact it is coming back is a sign to me that I have turned the corner.

ohiojeff

water change day and all looks good. we are having a new electrical panel put in next Friday. we went out and purchased a generator and I tested it today. it will run my main pump fine, but wont do my skimmer. the pump is so large on my skimmer it wont start for me. should be fine for a day I reckon. I just hope they get it done in a day like they claim they will.

ohiojeff

well just starting to try some sps. that will tell just how far I have come. my toadstool has budded and now I have two. my blue ricordia has split and now I have two. my hammer lost a head when I tried to nurse a Fiji coral back from the dead. when the shipment came and I opened the back it was milky and stunk. at that point it was still yellow so I dripped it and put it in. it slowly turned black and must have released toxin. it threw my whole tank for a loop. now a couple months down the road my hammer has four new heads coming in...yeah! thanks for the kind words.

ohiojeff

storms rolled through this afternoon and knocked the power out for a little over four hours. fortunately I was here and was able to crank the generator up. I just bought it over the weekend, though I have been meaning to get one for a long time. that was a stroke of luck.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I had heard Ohio was getting some Oklahoma type weather, glad everything is OK in your part of OH!
I keep a generator also, haven't had to use it yet, thank goodness. Stay SAFE!