Newby Mistake

Ok I have a confession to make. :bugout:

I was at Petco a few weeks ago (probably 3 weeks ago) and I fell in love with a scooter blenny. I know, I know, never buy anything unless you have researched it (my fault) and I should have known better than to believe the sheet of paper that I was given with the feeding/requirements info. on the little guy (since it was WAY off!)

When I got him home and looked him up, I of course found out that he needs copious amounts of copepods to survive. However, he's been eating frozen brine and mysis shrimp since I introduced him (like I said, about 3 weeks ago). He seems happy. I unfortunately have a very small tank (20 gallon) that is fairly new (5 months).

On a positive note, he's eating like a champ, has no stomach deflation (like I'm assuming a starved fish would have), and seems to be happy with the Royal Gramma. I know not to make this stupid mistake again :smck:. Any chance of my new little buddy survivin'??

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Brine is very low in nutrition but mysis is good I would get the PE MYSIS which excellent, if you get the Brine use one that is high in HUFA also try Cyclop-eeze. The Scooter Blenny will eat the infauna in the SB so a mature LS bed is essential to it's long term survival the fact that's it's eating frozen is a good sign but not a guarantee that it will survive long term. Good luck

lcstorc

Well, i also bought a scooter blenney in ignorance when my tank was new, but mine is a 125g. I actually managed to have mine live and thrive. In fact he is still doing great after about 9 months. He has always eaten right along with everybody else, but I do feed a wide variety of food in my tank and have added pods several times.
I guess what I am saying is that it os possible. Try to give him a variety of foods. To do that without overfeeding, at first I rotated what I fed, and now I make a homemade mush of a bunch of things and freeze in tiny ice cubes which I feed each night. You also may want to buy some pods and add them to the tank that way. I don't think it would hurt in any case.
On a positive note, mine has been a perfect fish. No agression and lots of movement around the tank. He is lots of fun to watch.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've never owned a scooter blennie but you've been given great advice from Robert and Lynn :thumbup:

Thanks Robert and Lynn...I appreciate you not bashing my stupidity! I've read a lot on here about Cyclopeeze, but don't know much about it. Also, I've read that pods can be bought and added to the tank. Any recommendations Lynn on where to purchase them?

lcstorc

I got mine from my lfs. They came in a small clear bottle which we just added to the tank. When I am there this weekend I will try to get the name of the company. Cyclopeeze is awesome and I add some occasionally as a treat. Everything in the tank goes nutso. Fish and corals alike.

reiple

We all make our newbie mistakes. Sometimes the same and often repeated. Well I hope not.

Hello cheeks69. How are your great looking tanks?

JK....check out Kermit's Reef in Cordova on Macon. Also, Something Fishy on Whitten Rd my have them too. That's where I get most of my stuff and the staff at both places is really helpful.

Thanks Mempho reefer, I've been to both places...great staff! I like Kermit's a little better, advice wise. I'm going to go this weekend to check out food, lights and add a few more rocks.

jkhalliday76 said:
I'm going to go this weekend to check out food, lights and add a few more rocks.

Have fun at Kermits!!! I love that store. Everytime I go there I WANT! They have some great corals in stock right now. When I started my tank that's where I went. I told them what I had and what I wanted to accomplish and they set me up with lights, a skimmer, and LR. AND, there prices were comparable to internet store prices. I just wish they weren't so far east. I'm a midtowner and my natural boundaries are the river and Highland. But, it's well worth the drive.

Enjoy the trip and let us know what you end up with........:yup:

Mempho Reefer....LOL! The "river to highland" boudaries are exactly my Midtowner boundaries as well! :thumbup:

Everytime we speak of going "out east" we get the heebeegeebies!!

I'll let you all know what I come home with!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Everyone here makes mistakes. most just don't admit it. Thats what this forums great for, fixing and helping. Glad you were honest and learned something. karma to you bud!

jkhalliday76 said:
Thanks Robert and Lynn...I appreciate you not bashing my stupidity! I've read a lot on here about Cyclopeeze, but don't know much about it. Also, I've read that pods can be bought and added to the tank. Any recommendations Lynn on where to purchase them?

I feed Cyclopeeze and my scooter and mandiran both eat it , I've had both for almost a year now

Thanks Bullet Buddy....I tried to get some cyclopeeze this weekend but my LFS was pretty low on supplies. They are ordering it this week.

FFrankie...To be honest, I was a little afraid to admit my mistake at first, but then I realized that I would probably get some pretty good advice if I just fessed up...and I did! Thanks everyone! This site has been a GODSEND for me!

fishinchick

Like the rest of the dragonettes, you can teach them to eat flake, cyclopeeze, mysis, frozen baby brine, what have you. It takes time and sometimes you are lucky and get one that just does it.

You'll know the results of your efforts are paying off in about three months. If it's not getting enough nutrition, you'll see a pinched tummy in 2 or 3 months. It's too soon to tell right off the bat.

however, if it looks like he's carrying on and eating, you are probably ok. Just make sure that whatever else you buy that it's not something that eats copepods to preserve what little live food exists in there now.

;)

And I bet you'll be researching a little better. I suggest keeping the paperback: Marine Fishes by Scott Michael in your glove box of your car. That way if you arent sure, you can look. Some LFS' will have books, some wont, others will but wont share. (selfish tsk tsk).

Good luck!