New to the Forum & This is my Tank

RockBox

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

jjohnson3~ Yep that's me alright. That was one of the first forums I joined many years ago. I am also a long time member @ RC.

The surgery was a success 98% of the invasive plays have been removed! The following pics show the final changes made to the area.

I used a large amount of super glue to extend the ledge with the new rock. I sometimes need to place an acrylic rod up against corals to hold them in place until the glue has hardened:

Rod.jpg

I am not going to allow any remaining turquoise polyps to get a foothold. Any that I see are removed quickly:

Snip.jpg

This surgeon's tool comes in real handy for anyone with a reef tank. I was lucky enough to have a friend of mine give me one as a gift for helping him out. It works great at ripping out the remaining polyps.

Snippers.jpg

I also found numerous zoas that were barely hanging on hidden beneath the overgrown plays. I placed these eagle eyes onto the new ledge. Some are already opening up again. The ledge should be completely covered with more colorful polyps in a couple of months:

BlueGreenLobo01.jpg

BlueGreenLobo02.jpg

I expect the lobo to expand quite a bit more in my tank. The frogspawn and hammer are also not fully expanded yet. I will post some pictures after that happens.

miaskies

Your tank is beautiful, do you use a protein skimmer at all? I am curious if you add calcium or anything else to make your corals grow so beautifully? Do you feed the corals at all?

ReefLady

Staff member
Those are awesome pics. I really don't think I want to know the "real" use of that surgeon's tool. LOL :look:
It does look like a fantastic tool for the tank though.

RockBox

Thanks again everyone!

Your tank is beautiful, do you use a protein skimmer at all? I am curious if you add calcium or anything else to make your corals grow so beautifully? Do you feed the corals at all?

I have never used a protein skimmer on any of my tanks. I dose a 2 part every day for calcium and alkalinity. I feed my LPS corals several times a week during the night. Lately I have been feeding them frozen mini-mysis.

AC going out can be a deadly experience! Living in AZ we have had one ourselves (chiller in place now). Thankfully it was near the beginning and we didn't lose too much. I'm glad to see that not everyone is all about SPS. We have a few frags, but I also like the movement of the softies and LPS and like the forgiving nature of them too. lol

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just to let everyone know, Rockbox's tank is a fish only with those new artificial corals~ :D

rmlevasseur

Just jaw-dropping. Everytime I think I need so much space between my corals I see tanks like this. Makes me realize my 180 is still only half full. Beautiful tank, one of the nicest I have seen.

bratyboy2

..............worda are not enough of how much i love your tank. we will talk mre on when im getting the 29 up and running except i think i might do a protein skimmer to help cut back on some of my work.

cindyp

Really Beautiful Tank!!! however I do have a question on the full tank shot where did you get that shade that covers the top of the tank to your light??
Thank you . Cindy

i saw this tank on the other forum at first you wanna belive there is something up with this pic but there isnt. no sump, small skimmer, how in the world does it live.????

kouma

i have never seen so much color concentrated in one spot..very nice..

hehe...hmm I wonder how a peacock mantis shrimp would like in this tank