New sump

amee6730

I just finished installing my very first sump all by myself! Thanks to everyone that answered my many questions. Now excuse me while I celebrate and pat myself on the back! :shades: :whstlr: :snshne: :clink:

I only had one major flood and one minor one. The major one was when the return popped off and fell behind the sump. :drown: The minor one was a slow leak from a fitting that I didn't catch initially, but it has now been fixed.

Now I just have to move all the unsightly equipment from the display and put it in the sump. I'll do that tomorrow and shoot a few pictures. Right now, It's after 1am and I am worn out. I'm going to have me a shot of Crown and pass out. :clink:

amee6730

Not a club I'm happy to be apart of, but I have paid my dues and accept the invitation. :)

I can't sleep now because things sound different than before. Makes me nervous. Maybe I just need more Crown...:clink:

Gina

RS STAFF
Way to go! Feels good to make it yourself and see it actually work well!
Looking forward to your pics!

amee6730

I just bought a new ASM g2 skimmer. I can't wait to get that fired up. Still haven't got any pictures of the sump. I'm going to work on the return later today. I only have flexible tubing going from the return up to the tank right now. I'll get it like I want it soon. I'm just too busy today. Have to go teach a class in a few minutes.

Craig Manoukian

Ooooooh, nice skimmer!

asm_skimmer.jpg

amee6730

I can't wait for the skimmer to get here. I've been doing a lot of tank upgrades lately and haven't been buying much livestock, so the tank looks kind of bare. But in the long run I know it will pay off and I can keep some more delicate stuff.

amee6730

Finally some pictures..

The first is of the sump. I'm going to remove the bio balls and replace it live rock. The new skimmer will go in the middle. The return pump (mag 7) is on the left.

sumprs.jpg

The next one is of the overflow. The airline tubing was rigged up to help the noise from trapped air. It's 90% quieter now.

overflowrs.jpg

And now the return. Lights were off on the tank, so the quality is not good. I wanted to distribute the flow so I hooked up this T. I don't like most of the flow going straight down, so I'm going to get a cap for that and just let the flow go to the left and right.

returnrs.jpg

amee6730

I've got the auto top off working. I really like this thing. It was a breeze to hook up. If I can do it, anybody can do it. Here are a few pictures...

This one shows a power head inside of a trash can with ro/di. Airline tubing is attatched to the power head and ran to the sump.

insiders.jpg

And the last shows the float sensor in the sump.

floatsensorrs.jpg

It came with another float sensor to put in the trashcan. It turns off the powerhead and shows an alert to keep the pump from running if the water level drops too low. I decided not to use it just because the suction cup wouldn't stick to my round trash can.

amee6730

Now I just have to get the new skimmer and throw it in, put everything where I want it, and hide the wires. My dad is going to enclose everything and put the doors back on the stand for me. I have to get some kind of a lock to put on the doors sinse the sump is there now. My son just loves playing in the new tank that's down on his level. :bouncebox I've already had to get a couple of blocks out. :verymad:

And a bonus for all the work...my BTA is splitting. I guess it was the stress of adding the sump and changing the flow and having the lights on at odd times.