New Seahorse/jawfish tank

BarbMazz

I set up a new seahorse/jawfish tank with panmanmatt's help, right after MACNA. It's a 20g XT tank... very simple low-tech set up. Just a hob filter, some live rock, and some things for the horses to hitch onto... a couple gorgonians, fake plants and macroalgaes.

The seahorses; a pair of h. fuscus male/female who I've named Barney & Betty, and a blue spot jawfish named Pebbles (Flintstones theme). There's also a red scooter blenny in residence, un-named thus far.

Here's a video of the sh courting:

some stills:

DSC_9645.jpg

DSC_9643.jpg

DSC_9668.jpg

DSC_9659.jpg

DSC_9675.jpg

DSC_9619.jpg

DSC_9629.jpg

BarbMazz

Thanks! I LOVE it. It's so easy, and so easy to look at, too.

Not so expensive to set up. I have a cheapo 2 bulb T5 light on there... paid I think $48 for it. No corals to worry about, 'cept the gorgs and they seem fine.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would love a seahorse/macro tank; what about cooling? Do you have to put a BSJ in every tank? (scratch that - forgot who I am talking with)

Well, off to open the LFS now and feed their seahorses (among other things).

BarbMazz

I keep my house very cool, so that's not a problem. These are "tropical" horses and they live in the low 70's. I made a screen top so there's lots of air circulation. If it gets too warm I can always throw a fan up on the top.

BarbMazz

It's about 4" and a mixture of fine sand with some crushed coral of various sizes mixed in.

Last week I added a pearly yellow headed jawfish, and it's working out splendidly! The two jawfish are getting along just fine, and the pearly is the most gorgeous, iridescent color.

I've added a couple different types of macro algae for the horses to hitch onto... they seem to like it. They remain very active and are courting a LOT. I'm not sure of their ages, so don't know if they're actually mature enough to mate.

Barney is looking a little chubby, though, so he may be pregnant, but I have to wait and see.

tex5620

You seem to be the master of jawfish so I ask can I get away with 3in of sand in my pony tank for a pearl or do I really need 4.

BarbMazz

I'm no master of anything! but thanks :D

3" for a pearly would be just fine! They're smaller so don't need quite so deep..and they need smaller rubble to play with. Still need plenty of that! And often!

Sea Life Inc. is a GREAT place to get a pearly, or even a mated pair. Ken is a great guy. And if you love rics, he's got some of the best colors and best prices....just, they come unattached!

molsen187

beautiful tank and pics. just a thought but if you are going with the flinstones theme you could always name the red scooter Dino, just a thought.