New Maroon Clown

Craig Manoukian

Well I just got back from the LFS with a 1 1/4" ORA Gold Barred Maroon Clown. My hope is that it will be the male to my 3" female I have had for two years. I have been waiting for my female to achieve the desired size differential so that she would not view the new addition as competion.

Well I just dropped the little guy in and to my delight the display was playful tailing and wiggling between the two maroons. The female did a gentle nose bump, but did not show any aggression.

I've got to jet for a while and will post pics tomorrow if everything goes well. Think good thoughts and maybe I'll end up with a mated pair, eh? :bigbounce

Craig Manoukian

This is the 3" female.

12Maroon_Clown.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Congratulations on your new clown! Sounds like they are going to get along swimingly!! LOL

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Cool color on that one. I have not seen one that dark before. Is your other one the same color? (I know, may be due to the camara as well)

Good luck Craig! By the way, will have pictures of you palys up tomorrow!

Cheers!

Craig Manoukian

Yes she is that dark! The male is lighter, but so was the female at the same juvenile stage/size of 1 1/4".

Lights are out so I'll check things tomorrow. I hope everything is AOK!

Sharkbait

ORA fish are the best, got my black ocellaris clown from them 5 years ago still my favorite fish.Best of luck with the pairing/courting.

Craig Manoukian

Got a peak just before the actinics went off last night and the little guy was hanging in there. The two were on opposite ends of the tank. We'll see if there is any fin tatter, a sign of aggression from the female, later this morning. I'll try to get a picture. All other fish were way coll, no worries there. Thanks for the good thoughts SB!

Craig Manoukian

Here are the two clowns and they are already into courtship display as can be seen in close proximity to my Crocea clam.

IMG_35421.jpg

Craig Manoukian

Sorry for the dirty glass and as can be seen there is no fin tattering on the male which is a good sign that the fish community has accepted the new addition.

Craig Manoukian

Well just got back from week in SF/LV! Both clowns were alive and well when I quickly checked this evening. They are slowly pairing up and the most telling sign is that the smaller male has all his fins in tact. Last week they would swim together about a quarter of the time. My palythoa polyps play host to the female and the male is now being hosted by them as well.

Very cool stuff and with any luck we may see eggs in the future!

Last edited:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Congrats Craig they look like very robust specimens :)
It's very difficult to pair them when you have one already established, great work !

mkpaulson

craig The the clown fish looked great, if you trying to get them to pair up you might consider playing a Barry White cd, to encourage the mating process :smoking: