new 150

tx29fan

I thought I would post some pictures of my new 150 progress. System includes: 150 Oceanic reef ready tank, Custom made stand, canopy and sump by Scott Comstock of Dallas, custom made double downdraft skimmer (etss-800 clone), 1/3 hp chiller, Oceansmotions Squirt, (2) 400w 14k Sun Metal Halides and (3) Gen-x Mak4 pumps. 1 Gen-x pump runs directly to the returns of the tank, 1 goes from the return of my sump thru the chiller and up to the Oceansmotions squirt and 1 runs my skimmer from the supply section of my sump. I will be adding water soon and the contents of my 75 and 55 gallon tanks.

Attachments

• omotion.JPG
    omotion.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 175
  • fuge.JPG
    fuge.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 176
  • sump center.JPG
    sump center.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 176
  • pumps-return sump.JPG
    pumps-return sump.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 176
  • closet.JPG
    closet.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 174

Gina

RS STAFF
Looks like alot of work went into this! Very neat looking too! Is this tank on the other side of the utility room? Actually, it looks like the tank is on an upper level?
Is this going to be a FOWLR or a Reef? I have to admit, I've never heard of a downdraft skimmer. Can you tell me what the difference is between that and a regular skimmer? Does one work better than another?
Your set-up looks very nice!

Tarasco

Sweet! That's going to be a good amount of flow through that sump. When you get water in there, let us know how loud it is. Keep us updated.

tx29fan

the tank actualy sits in the livingroom and the chiller, skimmer and plumbing for the oceans motions are in a closet directly behind it. The closet was long but narrow since it was basicaly unused space under the stairway leading to the 2nd floor. I turned a junk catching room into my equipment room, ran 3 new electric circuits and a return air duct to circulate the hot air away from the tank. :turntable

tx29fan

Mike, I am a lil concerned with noise as well..I will keep you informed...to be on the safe side I am lineing the inside of the stand with a sound deadening material

mattie

RS Sponsor
looks like a nice set up it sure makes a difference when you know what you like. i sure like the color of the stain on the cabnet i think it will be great once it is running

ReefLady

Staff member
Looking good Phil. Can't wait to see it!

If the noise is too much I know a guy who can get a deal on a pair of 10" subwoofers you can build into the stand. ;)

tx29fan

well...test water is in and after fixing a few minor leaks the system is running well :turntable I think Mike jinxed me tho..lol the (2) gen-x pumps under the cabinet are NOISY !!! lots of motor hummmmmm :columbo: I am adding some sound dampening to the inner cabinet today in hopes of quieting these some. Does any one else use Gen-x pumps? are they always this noisy?? they were part of the deal when I purchased my tank used and maybe they are old? anyone have any suggestions on pumps around 1190 gph that are quiet????

Tarasco

Sorry, didn't mean to jinx you! :) I actually thought you'd get more noise from the water flow than the pumps.

Sometimes the hum from pumps is from the vibration with whatever they're on. You can always put a mousepad to try and dampen the sound. I know there are some for sale here:

http://www.cafepress.com/reefsanctuary.11804268

Don't know much specifically about the Gen-X pumps, though.

ReefLady

Staff member
The pumps should also quiet down a bit after running for a while. My iwaki 40 went from "deafening" to "annoying."

:)

T

tx29fan

canopy on :turntable small granchild or large tank?? :)

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 78
  • tank-re2.JPG
    tank-re2.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 78

tx29fan

lights on, test water in. measuring evaporation and best place to run my sump. Looks like the saltwater and other 2 tank transfers will happen next weekend after I change out my Gen-x's to Velocity t4's (which are on their way)..so HARD to be patient at this point..LOL !

Attachments

• tank full-s.JPG
    tank full-s.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 64

tx29fan

all the live rock from the 75 and 55 and a few corals went in last night :jester:

Attachments

• rock in-s.JPG
    rock in-s.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 45