NEED help with temperature!

Hey, RS

So I have a 29G biocube with a sump. Total water volume is roughly 45 gallons.

I'm having an issue keeping the temperature under 82* F.....Its not a problem that happens in the summer because the A/C is cranked, but right now sometimes I run the A/C.... some days I don't cause its starting to get cooler....Florida is pretty bi-polar on weather.

Any ideas on how to keep my tank 2*F colder? its not always running at 84* but when the lights are on its running that hot for 4/5 hours.

I may be in the market for a chiller(used?), but I obviously wanna go a cheaper route if at all possible?

any help is appreciated

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a post you might can glean some good info from - imo

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/60477-tank-temperature-chiller.html

quite a bit of varying opinions here...Dr. Ron Shimek recommend warmer water temperatures, at least 82 [°F] for good health… as the average annual temperature of most coral reefs is around 82 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit (27 to 28 degrees Celsius), which seems to be the optimum for coral growth

my RSM tanks without chillers have always run from 81-83 & I have had great coral growth and all the tank been very health... but that not to say this is best... just what I have experienced

a chiller is a nice addition... and I would not want to go over 84 for sure...

steved13

PREMIUM
Everything I have heard, read , or seen, suggests stable temperature is more important than what temperature, within reason of course. If your temperature is climbing, you may want to try heating the tank during the cooler hours so that there is less fluctuation when it heats. Said differently, you'd be better off with temps varying from 83 - 84 than 76 - 81.

zigginit

very intresting to know that a little warmer temputers is not such a bad thing. i myself have had a BC29 for 2 years and never ran a chiller and i live in souther california kinda on the boarder of the desert (Riverside area). my tank has had some rough days with water temps ABOVE 92! (115*f outside)those days were scary for me but everything made it through. some coral looked pissed off and maybe would have died if it lasted anylonger then it did. but my day to day temp runs 82 and i dont even think about it because my fish and coral are happy. at night with lights off it drops to 78. im thinking if i should make it run 80 at night so there is not such a temp change but not sure yet. im about to move my fish and coral into a new 55g tank + 30g sump and i wonder if temp will be more stable with more water now. also good its getting cold here. (78*F :))

i would say in my 2 years with the BC29 my biggest killer of fish was them jumping into the back area like 3 wrasses died this way! my biggest killer of coral for me was not having enough light for the kind of coral i buy. i will not repeat these mistakes with my new tank... check out my thread in my sig about the 55g and the pics of the lights. man they are bright.

burning2nd

i got with a fan on a timmer for now to run when the tank is at its highest...

my primary thought would be a controller, in control of the heaters and fan

a fan blowing water across the water will do wonders

you probably don't need a chiller

chipmunkofdoom2

Generally, it is more important to have a constant temperature than worrying about what the temperature is. Personally, if I were you I'd turn your heater up a few more clicks and keep the temp at 82* instead of 80*. That way, your tank doesn't experience any temperature fluctuations.

82* vs 80* is not that big of a difference. Like Nanoreefingforfun said, most coral reefs are warmer than that anyway. If you think about it, there are a wide range of specs that are considered adequate in reef aquariums... temperature from 78-82, SG from 1.023 to 1.026, pH 7.9 to 8.4, etc. As long as you fall within those categories, you're fine. You should focus on keeping your parameters stable rather than chasing "perfect numbers".

leoar30

hi, i was deal with the same problem with my 29g bc here in florida the temp raise to 84 with the lights on, what i did, is leave the two doors open (front and back) install two small fans with a controller set up at 79 and the heather at 78, that way my tank run always at 78 day and night.

zigginit

how did you go about setting the fan up to a controler? i would like to do that too so please explain better