Need advice on what to feed my awsum new fish!

Andy

20130317_171819_zps41fce922.jpg

This is 'Rocky' the orange spot blenny! how cool is he. Best face iv ever seen. i really want sum barnacles for him to house. So i put him in today and he seems happy enough. Only prob is i dont know what they eat and hear they are a bit finiky eating! Iv read they are veg eaters. My food supplys consist of new era flakes, new era pellets, hickari extreme seaweed pellets, frozen brine mysis shrimp and goldpods. For corals i have plankton and some oyster eggs and frozen coral food. will rocky eat any of this or do i need to order something else asap??

Andy

anyone know what to feed him. iv looked at new era spirinula pellets are something ???? anyone please help :soap:

Andy

thats just what grows in ur tank mate im looking for a supplement like new era spirula or something? you know of anything? thanks for help

rufus2008

If he's related to the lawnmower blennie he wil eat algae in your aquarium and anything else you feed your other fish. My lawnmower even eats raw shrimp that I feed the triggers:)

Andy

cheers guys. iv read they need the addition of blue or green algae or spirulina. New era do a product. i just dont want him to starve. wen i fed today a piece floated past him and he dived for it but spat it out. its his first day so im not wuried but i think hes a mint fish with loads of character so want to get him off on a good start and my tank doesnt have much algae. i think micro algae is the green film that grows on ur glass is that right?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Blennies like him aren't hard to feed. he'll eat algae he finds in the tank, and also fish flake/pellets, meaty treats and all. he's not picky. Cute little guy, but a bit of free advice. Don't buy any fish you don't already know how to feed. Its trouble waiting to happen. Sooner or later you will pick out a really AWSOME fish like mandorin, only to find out it needs to be fed live pods/brine several times daily, and you don't have em.

Andy

no i know not to impulse buy. they guy at my lfs is a friend and he basically told me to buy him but he was busy so i cudnt chat bwt dietary requirements all he did say was that its an easy fish to keep. i learned my impulse buy lesson with my yellow box fish.......RIP 'spongebob'! thanks for help ddelozier and everyone else................so nobody fink new era spirulina is a necessity or sumfin of day type?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great photo and congrats on your new fish. You'll love it's personality if it's like most blennies. I answered your pm.

saltfan

Well meet Harvey he is great. Eats the brine shrimp I put in but is especially fond of Nutrafin Max marine granules. Careful they are jumpers. Harvey jumped once to the carpet and I just happened to be there, hasnt done it since guess he figured life was better on the inside.

DSCF2650_zpsf20eaa5f.jpg

DSCF2651_zpsb3ae1b4f.jpg

Oxylebius

Mine eats mysids shrimp and formula 1 and 2, but nothing else. Most of the time he won't eat food that I feed the other fish, but instead eats the algae off the rocks all day long. If the image below works, here is mine spitting sand out of its mouth.
oxylebius-albums-new-project-picture23849-red-spot-blenny-spitting-sand-sept-2012.jpg

Andy

those pics are mint. I still havnt seen him eat anything. but iv bin at work so hopefully he is eating algae. Im not planning on scraping the glass as much as usual to get some algae growth goin. i have sum hikari algae pellets tiny little ball things i hope he will eat but again he hasnt been interested yet! Cheers for all the comments!

Looks like a Goby for sure. Carnivorous and an Algae eater too. You could buy it bottom feeder fish food or just feed your tank moderately, which most everyone does. They spit up sand in search of food, remaining food at the bottom of sand bed or on surface. Like mandarins always busy eating, they are too, just they are easy to keep alive because people generally overfeed their fish tanks. ;)

LSUFireGal

If he is anything like my tail spot blenny you will find little lip shaped suck marks on the film algae on your glass. I leave a little patch every now and them just to show the kids, they love his kiss marks. He eats almost anything I drop in the tank too.

Andy

haha thanks blue space. He has eaten tonite, dropped in some mysis shrimp cube which has a bit of everything and he made a beeline for it and i saw him take a few decent bits so im happy.......confused as hes a herbivore......but good news! Thanks for posts guys. iv left algae on my glass to see if he eats it but all is happening is my glass is looking really dirty! so ill give it a scrape leave a bit for him and hopefully post anva pic of him when i get a barnacle shell for him to house