My Tiny Ocean - Gur's RSM 250

Gur

So it's night time and I discovered something very interesting under the actinic light.
It's on the top of a rock, very close to the top of the tank.
The rock was dry when came to the setup and there is no coral in the area of the discovery.
Can someone try and guess what can it be ?

Day_77_Neon_Dot_web.jpg

Day_77_Neon_Dot_CU_web.jpg

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
It looks like it could be a baby bubble coral...possibly.
I can't think if anything else that would have that color under actinic. Or that shape for that matter.

catran

You can get a lot of hitchhikers in on corals. I'm convinced that's where I got a tiny mini carpet. Nice free coral!!

Gur

You can get a lot of hitchhikers in on corals. I'm convinced that's where I got a tiny mini carpet. Nice free coral!!

that's great !!
I just wonder, how does it breed ? is it spores ? sperm ? eggs ?
and how did it travel from the hosting coral to this far rock in the upper part of the tank ?
just releases itself and goes with the flow ?

Gur

Day 79 - A Crab...

Just found a scary crab in my rock, it's 2 inches wide, brown & white, looks like something I would love to put back in the ocean.
He did a very interesting trip from Indonesia, i guess he survived the trip in a pocket of water inside the dry rock.
I have no idea how to catch/destroy it, when I'm approaching its just running back into the rock and I can't get into there.
Doe's someone have an idea of how to trap a crab ? i would love to hear about it.

The picture is just for you to understand the terrain of the combat field, you can see a part of the crab in the circle. (was a very difficult angle for shooting)

Day_79_Crab_web.jpg

[video=youtube;KJYG_6kYPPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJYG_6kYPPM[/video]

Last edited:

tnwillia

Use/tip a small glass jar setting below where he is so he is able to get in it. Put some sinking pellet food in the bottom of the jar and leave it over night. If he's hungry he will go for it but the glass will keep him from getting back out. You may catch other things as well and there is no garantee this will work but it's a start. Have fun with the hunt!

Gur

Use/tip a small glass jar setting below where he is so he is able to get in it. Put some sinking pellet food in the bottom of the jar and leave it over night. If he's hungry he will go for it but the glass will keep him from getting back out. You may catch other things as well and there is no garantee this will work but it's a start. Have fun with the hunt!

Ok, Just placed the trap.
Going to sleep & hoping to find him waiting for me in the jar for the morning coffee.

Thanks Tom.
Good night !

Gur

Tom, Great advise !!!
it took him 5 minutes to go into the jar...
just brushed my teeth before going to sleep and on my way to bed I found him in the jar.

So here he is, I like him and I would leave him if he is safe...
If someone knows this spicy and think i can keep him please tell me,
if not I'll throw him to into the Mediterranean Sea tomorrow.

Day_79_Crab_in_trap_web.jpg

tnwillia

Great catch! it doesn't always work. Red eyes and pointy claws are not good as a general rule for our tanks, I'd give him back to the Med. Have fun!

Gur

Crab got it's freedom on the beach of Tel-Aviv.
I just understood I did something I shouldn't do and a lot of people got very mad with me for doing it...
I just placed an animal from the other side of the globe in an habitat which he shouldn't be in, doing so can and did cause ecological disasters.
My apology to the Mediterranean Sea and I promise not to do it again.

Here he is just before going back into the sea:
Day_80_Free_Crab_web.jpg

I hope no damage will occur.

tnwillia

LOL, half the world wants to wipe you off the map and now some are upset cause you freed a crab. Well done you have my full supoport! Sorry for my jump into politics, it won't happen again LOL.

Gur

LOL, half the world wants to wipe you off the map and now some are upset cause you freed a crab. Well done you have my full supoport! Sorry for my jump into politics, it won't happen again LOL.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
When you live here the perspective gets a bit blurry sometimes...

Last edited:

Gur

New Additions -

First coral was purchased by mistake, I was told it's a Kenya Tree... well it's a Flower Tree Coral,
amazingly beautiful but as I understand it, it will be a miracle if it will survive in my tank...

Day_81_Scleronephthya_web.jpg

Second one is another Acanthastrea Lordhowensis

Day_81_Acan_web.jpg

& the third one is a Lobophyllia

Day_81_Lobophyllia_web.jpg