My Setback

Dweezil

Well, I just picked up a TDS meter today (late I know) but when I ran the test on my tap water it was near the 344 range which was to be expected.
However, when I tested the water out of my brand new (6 weeks old) RO/DI unit I got almost the same results! Something is terribly wrong and I'm not sure what yet. This basically means I've pretty much been using tap water for water changes. Ugh. Too late tonight to try and figure anything out. I'm sure it's something stupid I've done but not sure what.

cbrownfish

Something is hooked up incorrectly. Either you are using the wrong line for product water or you have a flush valve open, etc. I would recommend getting some distilled water to be sure that the meter is calibrated.

Dweezil

Thanks for the reply CB. This unit does not have a flush valve. It does have an optional flush valve kit but I did not buy it. We did double check the lines and it seems they are setup as per the instructions. I will buy some bottled distilled water tomorrow.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's almost as if you are bypassing the cartridges and membrane, but I haven't a clue as to what's happening. Mine has a few valves that I turn to flush or to run water through the unit. It almost sound like there's a valve in the wrong position, or one that wasn't installed? Total guesses by me. Spectrapure is a well rated outfit - maybe email them or call if they have a phone number?

Hard to imagine the TDS meter calibration would cause you to get the same reading before and after. But, checking the TDS meter with distilled would at least confirm that the meter is working.

Triggerfish

It really does sound like something on the unit isn't connected correctly. You might try photographing how you have it set up and emailing the photos to Spectrapure, asking for help (after you've checked out the meter using DI water of course). I hooked mine up the wrong way the first time and totally did not realize it at first.

tnwillia

Tammy.... in case you got a crappy book or no book at all, these are really kind of generic. here is a link to mine mannual, it has color pictures for the unit/hoses and how they should be routing water thru your unit. When I got this unit I had no idea what RO/DI was, this book was great! Good luck!

http://purelyh2o.com/manuals/optima.pdf

Dweezil

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I just got off the phone with Spectrapure. I must say they were very easy and helpful to deal with. He had me go thru a battery of tests and making sure everything was hooked up correctly, taking the membrane out to make sure it was seated right etc etc. We did the volume test and tested straight out of the membrane. Still with high TDS. Bottom line was he was at a loss also because everything appears to be right. He is shipping me a new membrane and DI filter tomorrow.

P.S. Almost forgot..when I tested the bottled water with the same TDS meter I got like a reading of 7 compared to the 344 I was getting out of tap.

tnwillia

Wow.. TDS sounds fine. You may want to think about the accessory back flow kit. I have low water pressure and I use the back flow unit to push my water pressure from about 40psi up to 80-90 psi where my unit wants it. Not sure that was what it was ment for but it works for me. Hope you get it worked out!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck Tammy ... hopefully you will soon get it sorted

I some how really enjoy my newly found British slang :)

Tom - thanks for posting the .pdf manual, I enjoyed reading it & learning...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good deal Tammy. Maybe the membrane and/or DI filter were faulty. Let us know what happens when you get the new ones. Any idea what your water pressure is? If it's too high you can pop those membranes. The membranes can have different PSI ratings as to how much water pressure they can handle.

Dweezil

Terry ~ Yeah when we were testing my pressure was at about 60 psi and the guy said that was good for the 40 gpd unit. I really hope it was just a faulty membrane and when the new one arrives it will solve the problem. I did a 5 gallon water change today with the bottled water. I'll probably do another this weekend. I need to get rid of the tap water in my tank asap.

Dweezil

Not yet Tom, been doing water changes with store bought RO/Di. They are shipping me a new membrain and new DI cartridge. Still hasn't arrived yet though. I'm expecting it either Monday or Tuesday.