My First Pictures

Craig Manoukian

Well, I finally took some pictures with Travis old Canon 10D, he got the new 20D, and as you can see there is a wide disparity in photo talent. Needless to say, it was fun and I'm looking forward to improving my skills.

Here is the orange Ricordia florida conlony that I got from Rogue Corps last year. It was a single frag that now has three mouths.

12Ricordia_florida_11-28-04_003-med.jpg

Craig Manoukian

Here is a green Ricordia florida that I recieved as a frag from Gresham, from 3reef.com, at the same time last year. This has also sprouted two new mouths in a years time.

12Ricordia_florida_II_11-28-04_006-med.jpg

Craig Manoukian

These are some Red Frilly Mushrooms with cool purple dots I also got from Gresham.

12Red_Mushrooms_11-28-04_007-med.jpg

Much more blurry than the first two pics.

Craig Manoukian

Here is the Crocea Clam I got upon the recommendation of Mike, aka mojoreef. It is a good four inches across the shell and was a good buy from my LFS at $40.

I started the clam on a shell in the sand and it has abandoned the shell. I have a nylon screen that covers an inch of coral gravel just below my DSB. The clam has bored through the sand and attached itself to the screen/coral gravel.

12Crocea_Clam_11-28-04_001-med.jpg

The mantle of the clam touches the front glass of my tank. This is the best photo as the subject is so close to the glass.:D

Gina

RS STAFF
Great pics Craig! Have fun with your new camera. I'm sure in no time you will be right up there with T.!

mps9506

cmon, you're taking too long, more pictures, practice makes pefect ;) chop chop, get to it....

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nice corals & clam Craig! Good job on your first pics!! I usually find one pic per 100 that is a keeper!! LOL.. I am glad I do not have to pay for processing!! :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Nice first shots Craig!

Watch out for that camera shake, use a tripod if you can.

Also, I think it's time to give a tutorial on "shooting to the histogram". I think enough people have histogram displays on their cameras to do that, just need to dig up the time. I think yours seem a bit underexposed. Not badly, but a bit. :)

T

Craig Manoukian

Thanks travis. Am using a tripod without flash so I don't get things over exposed. I do not have a remote or detachable flash. This should explain the shake/underexposure, eh?

Suggestions?

ReefLady

Staff member
Ah, I can tell we're dealing with an old-school SLR guy. :) The flash won't overexpose unless you tell it to. Modern TTL flash talks to the camera and they get the exposure agreed upon amongst themselves.

Also, you won't underexpose due to lack of light unless you're shooting in manual mode. Rather, the camera will adjust aperture/shutter to make sure you get a good exposure- again, unless you tell it otherwise through exposure compensation.

On the top LCD screen of the 10D, you'll see a little scale of hash marks and a pointer. Every hash mark below center you have the pointer set to is -1/3 stop exposure compensation- telling the camera to deliberately underexpose what it thinks it should do. Every mark above center is positive exp. compensation- telling it to overexpose from what it thinks is right. To adjust exposure compensation, press the shutter halfway like you would to autofocus, then move the big dial on the back of the camera.

About the slow shutter you're getting- try bumping your ISO to 400 and using the lowest f-stop available in aperture priority mode.

T