my first coral being eaten?

So 2 days ago I went and picked up a frag pack, will upload pics later...and a rock with some beautiful corals on it. Sorry idk any of the names of these corals, im just getting down the names of the different kind of fish lol.

Anyway, my cleaner shrimp wont leave my one coral alone...so it keeps closing up. I chased him away from it a few times. but then thought I would ask on here.

Is he just trying to clean stuff off the coral or is he trying to eat it. He already eats bloodworms when I feed my fish.

IMG_2734_zps09b9c962.jpg

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
hes not hurting the coral. He may disturb it as he skitters around, but he wont eat em.

landshark

Lol:wave:, your cleaner shrimp is just doing it's job of cleaning, it's finding food on your coral to eat as soon as that gone so will he.

frisbee

I've never had any problems with a cleaner shrimp eating my corals either. A peppermint shrimp is a different story though. I've seen them pick clean a few corals before. Mostly LPS. (favia,leptastrea, etc) Be careful with these. GL.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've had my cleaner shrimp pull food out of the mouth of corals. They are real pigs when it comes to food. I like them, though. Too bad my hogfish made a meal out of mine.

Akshay

Nope not eating your coral. Have seen em pick food out of slow eating corals...like some of my acans, but then so do the fish & it doesn't harm em much. In most probability the cleaning will help the coral do better.

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
I have about 6 peppermint shrimp in my reef tank with about 20 different corals LPS, SPS, mushrooms they do seem like theyre attacking but theyre doing just like what everyone else is saying and cleaning up the mess.

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
Infact if it makes you feel any better, I just fragged my mushroom and after putting back in my tank after about 20 minutes the shrimp was already cleaning up my hack job.
20130925_182155_zps8c581f3f.jpg