My 1st Father's Day Gift

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For anybody interested in attempting to drill their own tank, I learned a cool little trick for telling pane glass from tempered glass. Using a laptop, which has a polarized filter over the display - most do, and a pair of polarized glasses you can see the stress lines which result from the tempering process.

So you'd put the laptop IN the tank and look through the glass panel while wearing polarized sunglasses? Then if you see "Stress Cracks" then the glass is indeed likely tempered?

astiesi

I'm a huge fan of the overflow so far, takes up very little room. The guys at glass-holes.com are great to work with too.

Hey Al...thats exactly what I did. Basically if you rotate a lens of polarized glass (i.e. some sunglasses) in front of a laptop screen you will see at a specific angle (normally 45 degrees) the screen will disappear. Doing this with a pane of glass in between will show "stress lines" when you hit this angle if the glass is tempered.

I knew the bottom glass was tempered so I started by putting the laptop in the stand under the tank and looked through from above. The stress lines were easily noticable. Once I knew what to look for, I put the laptop in the tank and looked through from the side...saw nothing but the LCD display disappear. Being an engineer I thought this was pretty cool.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's WAY cool! No I wish I had a new tank to experiment with :)

Thanks for the info bro!!

astiesi

Alright, I haven't updated in a while and things have been progressing slowly but I have made some progress. In the past month I've managed to do the following:

- I ordered a Reef Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer. I am quite impressed by the craftsmanship and am looking forward to getting it up and running.

2009-08-11-0001.JPG

- I painted the back black. I used Rustoleum flat black spray paint which worked out really well. I've read about the reduction of PAR values due to painting the back glass but I really prefer the look.

2009-08-11-0003.JPG

- I picked up a 20L to use as a sump and added glass baffles which separated the 20L into 3 compartments: refugium, return, skimmer.

2009-08-11-0004.JPG

From here I have to find time to work on the plumbing and then its time for water.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Alright, I haven't updated in a while and things have been progressing slowly but I have made some progress.

YEAH!! It's coming along VERY nicely! Good work :D

I painted the back black. I used Rustoleum flat black spray paint which worked out really well. I've read about the reduction of PAR values due to painting the back glass but I really prefer the look.
I Think I've also decided that "Even though it DOES make a difference initially since in the long run it will be completely covered anyway with coralline and such I'm going to paint mine from here on out as well"

astiesi

Thanks Al for stopping by, I went back and forth with the paint issue. I hate wasting PAR if I can avoid it but realized from my first tank that there was no way I was going to clean the back glass every couple weeks let alone every couple days. With plumbing along the back a Mag-Float doesn't really work well which is my tool of choice for cleaning the glass...therefore I went with the paint.

I did get some plumbing done as nstiesi has pointed out, just haven't had a chance to snap a pic. Basically both drain lines are plumbed down to the sump, thanks for the help by they way. I am currently trying to decide if I should do 1 return or split it into 2. By my calculations due to height and fitting loss I'm looking at around 500 GPH delivered by the Mag 9.5 to the top of the tank. If I split that I will have 2-250 GPH returns. I'm thinking it may be better just to do one return and have a K2 on the other side. Anybody have any thoughts??

astiesi

Plumbing is finally done! Everything was leak tested tonight and surprisingly passed without so much as a drip.

2009-08-30-0001.JPG

2009-08-30-0002.JPG

2009-08-30-0003.JPG

2009-08-30-0004.JPG

2009-08-30-0005.JPG

astiesi

Thanks Tammy, the build seems like its taking forever but I'm very happy with the way its coming together!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
GREAT plumbing work. You do realize that's WAY to clean & neat to actually WORK! In order for it to work you'll have to DOUBLE the # of connectors, TRIPLE the number of elbows and QUADRUPLE the FEET of tubing! Then it's a MAYBE!!!

Seriously it looks SWEET!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I'm REALLY liking this plumbing... can you give some idea/diagram what each item is in this pic

2009-08-30-0001.JPG

astiesi

I have to agree with bskinn77, I can't wait to see water in it either! Unfortunately, I just got laid off at work on Friday so the build is going to be put on hold for a few weeks till I can line up something else. Luckily the build is still at a point where I don't have to spend any money on maintenance.

BigAl, since I have nothing but time now I'll write up a better description of the plumbing when I get more than 5 minutes to type it up. The one thing I can say is I love the union ball valves...they were considerable cheaper than buying both individually and they simplified things greatly.