My 150 gallon tank

Gazzaeng

Hi everybody and welcome to my thread.

I have started this new thread for my tank I hope you can follow me and help along the way.

the tank is 50x20x30 491litres plus my sump so about 550l.

My setup is ongoing like most peoples currently I have two mp10s
skimz skimmer
tmc auto top up
2x 120w maxspect razors
eheim return pump
phosban reactor
40lb live sand
35-40 kg live rock

stocking so far
2x clown fish
fire fish
flame angel
6 turbo snails
3 peppermint shrimps
1 cleaner shrimp

so far the tank is cycling and all levels are looking good my rock scape is looking good. I made my own reef rods and a frame with plumbers tube to make a piller and arch so there is a swim through and places for them to hide.

fb879493eb9f223884985040fcbd51ab_zps18a1f094.jpg

6f2d13432fc59067c87ab2ada2ee2b51_zps3e1e9aa1.jpg

bcb414f65cceaf01d5b45d6264cd62ab_zps4a0b7de6.jpg

4b0380d965b31d3fd391ae13bf9f5ff7_zps674390f9.jpg

29eb179732c5f228549bcdeb3a7d2f5e_zpsdca43a3a.jpg

Finished article so far there is a few bits of pipe and egg crate showing but they will be filled in with rock and and corals.

Lots of input and opinions are welcome.
Thanks for reading.

Mike Johnson

You asked; a friendly critique: I'd put a few more inches of sand in it. Looks like you're in an unfriendly zone of 1 - 3 inches. It'll make your life much better.

Are you going to be adding more rock?

Gazzaeng

I have more sand I can add in there can I ask why that certain depth? The more help I can get the better. I always welcome advice .

This is all the rock in it.
The picture isn't the best still got to sort my lights out.
bdc33c1328e95d870279106232e97c65_zpsf78971fe.jpg

Mike Johnson

I love your rock work - another little critique: Fill in the bottom of those two islands, loosely. It'll give the fish a place to make their homes. Great start.

Sand greater than 1/2" but less than three inches is not deep enough to be anaerobic, but too deep to be aerobic. That will cause nuisance algae to grow on your sand bed.

Gazzaeng

Thanks guys! I've got some loose bits that are just sitting in the sump so they can go round the bottom of the towers!

I'm goin to add more sand thanks mike anything I can do to stop that algae I will do it.

Few more pics from today?

91da45d8a34f16c3659852e77cb8a842_zps5388bce4.jpg

3800faf6a13c0f3705cd4ccbc4eaac97_zps6e42eed3.jpg

U can still see some pipe but they will be covers by the end you won't be able to see any.

Gazzaeng

Your not wrong that they are expensive I hunted for ages so in the end I made my own. Just brought so rod of eBay and some acrylic sheet. 15mm is best as it's stronger and you can make it the size you want. Cost me about £20 all together and I made two out of what I orderd it would have cost me £120 for the same.

c64c999e27bc1d34d4a4fc587b606bc8_zps19b17bbc.jpg

13429344d3fba44a41630104c3825498_zps31bfbc3f.jpg

Your not wrong that they are expensive I hunted for ages so in the end I made my own. Just brought so rod of eBay and some acrylic sheet. 15mm is best as it's stronger and you can make it the size you want. Cost me about £20 all together and I made two out of what I orderd it would have cost me £120 for the same.

Thanks for the info! Actually acrylic is one thing I didn't' think to look for on eBay. It's a bit cheaper than some places I've seen so gonna give'r a shot. :wave:

Edit: Just snagged some 1/2" rod for $12 shipped on eBay. Pretty darn cheap imo.

Gazzaeng

Nice one mate good luck with it any trouble just ask but it's pretty simple.

Also I didn't mention on one of the rods I had the base and rod once I had drilled the first rock I couldn't get the second to sit on top where I wanted so I added another bit of sheet to it only a small square so it's not seen. I rested it on top of the first bit like a shelve and glued it in place and sat the second bit of rock on that just to help it sit where I wanted it too and the bit of acrylic is so small In between them you cant notice it!
Might help in placing some bits but do a dry fit first unlike me got carried away glued it. Then realised it was wrong!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank looks great! I really like the stand/canopy and your rock work is cool looking.

Gazzaeng

Thanks whippetguy really pleased with the result of the cabinet. The rock work has turned out well actually looks how I wanted it too a few bits of pipe showing especially at the back but I will cover that in time.
Just got to think about what stock I want in there now!

Gazzaeng

Can anyone help with this my hammer I've had it for a while now and where you see the two heads are it used to be joined in the middle then the middle died off and disappeared. It hasn't got any smaller since then and it's been fine and healthy is this normal for them?

63fff5a9614f23786773071a977c4566_zps9eaf0068.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Have you checked your main water parameters?

Also how long has this tank been up and running?

Alkalinity
Magnesium
Ammonia
Calcium
PH
Nitrates
Nitrites

Gazzaeng

It's been in this tank about a month now but it happend in my old tank. I've never tested for magnesium and calcium or alkalinity. All my other levels are good ph is always about 8.2 and at the time it happend as far as I can remember ammonia nitrite were minimal I never let the levels rise nitrate was about 4 or 5. I take notes of my levels every time I do them but i had just started doing that then so I don't trust myself I wrote them down right.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
OK well know ammonia is best at 0 and minimal nitrite is fine as long as it's minimal.

If you plan to have success with corals you need to start testing for the other parameters mentioned.

If you have a handle on PH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite (which it sounds like you do) you should consider getting kits for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

Too me that coral looks shrunken in a bit and not fully extended despite it's relatively small size.

You'd be amazed at what a difference will make once you bring your levels within acceptable ranges. You may also be surprised at how much lower some of those levels may actually be once you test them.

Here is a good read if you haven't already seen it. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Gazzaeng

Think I will get some testing kits then I have a calcium kit. also is kh worth testing for? I never tested for them as I wanted to get a grip on nitrates etc which I think I am doin ok on now! Also I don't know enough about them to understand what I'm testing for but I will have a read through that link thank you!

The coral usually is a little more extended but not like I have seen in other tanks.

Thanks for the help!

winschuc

If you do regular water changes, aren't dosing, have good response from your animals and maintain proper Ph, you can get away with not having a kh test kit.

Your wc's will keep your Cal, mag and alk in check for a while.

It doesn't hurt to pick one up and know where you're at though.